Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Corner alpe d'huez

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Irish corner looking a bit wanky from the aerial shots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Where was the panda :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

It looked v. good second time up from the motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

There was many Irish throughout the mountain. Maybe they didn't know about the corner or were on the sauce too much last night and got up late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

el tel wrote: »
    Irish corner looking a bit wanky from the aerial shots

As in not that many there? Give it time, i'd say it could become a 'thing'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Think it got bypassed the first time by TV cameras. Got a good "ground level" leading bike camera the second time round.

Definitely got potential. It was announced too late this year IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Very tempted to go next year. Not enough notice this year.

I can probably justify it as "training" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Thanks mrroboito,

In fairness I think anyone who made the epic journey deserves the cash! Great tour coverage on Sticky Bottle though so thanks for the link...and the thought.
    mrroboito wrote: »
    @Brendan Hennessy Stickybottle.com is offering a €100 prize for best Alpe pics.

Thanks to all for the 'thanks' to my pics - my Dad is rightly chuffed.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tweet from Nico ‏@nicholasroche
    @IrishCorner10 and irish fans! Only one thing to say: you are the best!!!!
    Tweet from Dan @DanMartin86
    Thanks for all the support. 1 of my worst days ever and couldn't stop smiling. Legendary @IrishCorner10 Best TDF memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Any body see the "Mayo for Sam" written on the road in big green letters about 2km from the finish.

Was great to see - even though I am a Dub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlk-tUfu3Jo

Orica Green Edge, Wild one video. Plenty of Irish corner in it and finished with the olé olé

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Whoever was the marketing genius from that team who thought of handing out the blow up guitars deserves a massive pay rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Slow And One Sided

Great idea, pity it didn't get as much publicity as it should have. I'm sure there would have been a fair auld turn out

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Amz wrote: »
    Very tempted to go next year. Not enough notice this year.

I can probably justify it as "training" :)

Le Tour will not be using Alpe d'Huez in 2014. There will be one mountain top finish in the Alps, most likely at Risoul.

There will be one to La Planches-des-Belles-Filles in Vosges.

There should be two in Pyrénées, lots of talk here about a stage from Pau to Pla d'Adet (Marie Blanque, Aubisque, Soulor, Tourmalet, Aspin and Pla d'Adet) and from Tarbes to Hautacam (Tourmalet, Borderes, Soulor, Spandelles and Hautacam). Also Pierre-Saint-Martin, which I think is unlikely.

It's only rumours so may not be correct. The route will be announced on 23rd October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

talk here about a stage from Pau to Pla d'Adet (Marie Blanque, Aubisque, Soulor, Tourmalet, Aspin and Pla d'Adet) and from Tarbes to Hautacam (Tourmalet, Borderes, Soulor, Spandelles and Hautacam).

Class route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

The orica green edge videos seem to have been removed :-( Both the Alp D one and the team one. Wonder why...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Esroh wrote: »

From the above article...
    When the vehicles slowed down enough on some points enabling some fans by the roadside to rock the cars from side to side, that’s what happened

I was watching the team cars go through Dutch corner from the grassy knoll(!) and they seemed to go much crazier (positively) for anything related to Belkin - I thought Sky would get a much harder time. The Dutch guys were rocking the Belkin car pretty vigorously too and I think a couple of them got on the roof of the car as well.

Nicest moment of the race was seeing Adam Hansen going past sipping a beer he'd picked up at Dutch corner.

Would have liked to have been closer to Irish corner but we'd driven up the night before and all the best camping/parking was in the stretch after Dutch corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

While you are always (unfortunately) going to get a few clowns/dickheads among the 100's of 1000's on the side of the road, I'm starting to find the David Walsh - Sky mutual admiration society slightly more nauseating. Adding pineapple juice to water - genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

LeoD wrote: »
    While you are always (unfortunately) going to get a few clowns/dickheads among the 100's of 1000's on the side of the road, I'm starting to find the David Walsh - Sky mutual admiration society slightly more nauseating. Adding pineapple juice to water - genius.

I believe they had air con in their buses too. #marginal gains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Esroh wrote: »

Just reading this now and a bit annoyed by it. "There is no reference in the story suggesting the nationality of those fans with the giant syringe or those who mimicked injecting." Why not??
    Anyone who had been there could have told him that they were French and removed any ambiguity which implies that it was Irish fans, since he refers to Irish Corner. Similarly he refers to the Dope Froome poster which we all saw and nobody I talked to was happy about. This was the same French "fans"(gob****es) involved with the syringes.
    These were the same French fans who kicked the **** out of an English supporter (pro Froome) at the corner, in front of the police and then proceeded to tear down the small pro-Froome poster hanging on the corner. I did not see the start of the confrontation so it is possible the French were provoked, either way the actions of the above mentioned French and the French police was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

I see since I have written the above, stickybottle has put up this:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/lakeside-wheelers-riders-reject-david-walshs-claims-they-apologised-to-dave-brailsford-after-alpe-dhuez/

Glad that's cleared up-ish.

The only thing some Irish fans did was give a thumbs down apparently. Nothing wrong with that, we all have those we want to win & loose, a thumbs down is hardly abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

The plot thickens. http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/lakeside-wheelers-riders-reject-david-walshs-claims-they-apologised-to-dave-brailsford-after-alpe-dhuez/

So today would seem to be the day I finally lose pretty much all respect I had for the two wonderful Irish journalists who not so very long ago exposed Armstrong as a fraud through their determination, integrity and hard work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

luapenak wrote: »
    I did not see the start of the confrontation so it is possible the French were provoked

I did. They were gob****es. That was all the provocation they needed. The stories should come out via stickybottle over the next few days. It seems all accounts collected from Irish people there tally. Hopefully it will be cleared up soon and Walsh will come out of whatever rathole hes in and issue the apology thats due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

This: http://balls.ie/cycling/paul-kimmage-twitter-row/

The tweet to Richard Moore did him no favours.

I'm not sure about Moore, I like most of his stuff, but he does seem very close to Sky, too close to be impartial, but there is no need to be such an ar$ehole about it. And he should answer Moore's questions if he's going around abusing him.

Also, just re-read my post above, me write English good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭happytramp

Jaysus, he might be one of those that was better off having never learned how to use twitter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

This: http://balls.ie/cycling/paul-kimmage-twitter-row/

The tweet to Richard Moore did him no favours.

I'm not sure about Moore, I liked most of his stuff, but he does seem very close to Sky, too close to be impartial, but there is no need to be such an ar$ehole about it. And he should answer Moore's questions if he's going around abusing him.

Also, just re-read my post above, me write English good!

It seems like Kimmage would pick a fight with his own shadow if he could. His replies are so OTT aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

elduggo wrote: »
    I did. They were gob****es. That was all the provocation they needed. The stories should come out via stickybottle over the next few days. It seems all accounts collected from Irish people there tally. Hopefully it will be cleared up soon and Walsh will come out of whatever rathole hes in and issue the apology thats due.

Agreed- unfortunately I was right beside these French lads and had to dodge the cross-fire - they had planned to jump out of their van in full scrubs when Fromme came through on the last lap. As others have said the French police were useless, allowing the lads to throw punches at one English lad and a lady who suffered a cut lip, and almost knock a cyclist passing to the ground. Very lazy to make a headline out of Walsh's comments I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

elduggo wrote: »

Some of the reported behavior I wouldn't agree with. But isn't it about time that fans made some form of protest against having dopers on the Tour - but they shouldn't interfere with them on the road. Fans and bike buyers are largely very tolerant of dopers in spite of all the hot air. The proof of this is the fact that sponsors keep re-hiring them and paying them a lot of money. Trek and Schleck for example. Obviously Trek knows it won't interfere with sales, in spite of their former association with Armstrong,

Advertisement