Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First job,what do I need to do in relation to taxes etc.?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    Apologies if this has been asked before,but I've searched around here and on the web and haven't managed to understand fully what I need to do.

So I've just accepted a part time job in a hotel.I'm a first year college student and I've never worked any type of job before. A friend of mine started work last week and had to go the tax office with some kind of form,I know absolutely nothing about having a job so basically what I'm wondering is:
    Do I need to fill out some kind of tax credit form or any other kind of form?
    The managed didn't mention anything,just asked if I had a PPS number,
    Also is there anything else I need to do/sign/get before I start?
    Thank you for your help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 likeyouI

Your first job maybe just to ring up your local revenue and they will go through things with you.
    You might not have to do anything I always ring them when I start a new job for fear of the dreaded emergency tax.

You can get your local revenue office number on the site.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

If you don't do anything you will pay emergency tax, which if I remember correctly is a fixed rate you pay until the actual tax rate/ tax credits gets sorted. At that point you will probably get a lump sum back based on what emergency tax you paid minus what you should have paid. I think it used to take a couple of months for the employer to sort it out until I got off emergency tax.

You can register online at revenue.ie and fill in tax credits but yeah as the previous poster said better to get in contact with someone in revenue directly to make it easier.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

You need to fill in a Form 12A and send it to your local Revenue office. You can find the address by clicking here and opening Revenue's contact locator. You will need to input your PPSN and it will give you the address and phone number of your local tax office. You will need to ask your employer for their PAYE number. It's a number like a PPS number for the business and you will need to put this on the Form 12A. Revenue will then issue you and your employer with a Certificate of Tax Credits. When it arrives, check it is correct. This certificate tells your employer how much to tax you, without it they are obliged to operate emergency tax procedures. Your employer's payroll dept may ask you to fill in the form and they will return it for you, but I would suggest doing it yourself as you will know for sure when it has been sent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 wherewasslyvia

Thank you so much everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Similar to the OP, I've just started work for the first time. I completely forgot to look in to tax before I started so emergency tax was applied to my first month's wages. I'm going to leave my form 12A in to the tax office tomorrow, once I do that does that mean emergency tax won't be applied to next month's wages?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Similar to the OP, I've just started work for the first time. I completely forgot to look in to tax before I started so emergency tax was applied to my first month's wages. I'm going to leave my form 12A in to the tax office tomorrow, once I do that does that mean emergency tax won't be applied to next month's wages?
    I would think so. In my experience, Revenue tend to turn these things around quite quickly. If you haven't received your cert by two weeks before payday, I would follow up with a phone call to Revenue as the amount you will be taxed in the second month of emergency tax is higher than the first (but you will get it back in your next pay after Revenue issue the cert).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Does anyone know if I can drop a 12A into any tax office or does it have to be one that is in the same region as my employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any office will do, they will forward it for you if necessary.

And what matters is where you live, not where your employer is based.

Advertisement