Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimming vfc gears

• 28-06-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Well I've really gone off liking self shimming gears and I'm wondering if it's possible to manually shim a self shimming gear by taking off the springs or just putting shims over the springs or is this just not possible at all?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Well I've really gone off liking self shimming gears and I'm wondering if it's possible to manually shim a self shimming gear by taking off the springs or just putting shims over the springs or is this just not possible at all?
    Thanks

Just remove the springs and away you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

Inari wrote: »
    Just remove the springs and away you go!

:eek: really , I actually thought it would be far more complicated than that......do the vfc gears have the shaft and all that like normal gears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Yup - the gears need an axle regardless, and the self-shimming aspect is just a spring and washer. Remove it and you can shim them as normal.

I've never liked the concept of self shimming gears. It just screams "quicker assembly" as opposed to getting it juust righht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

To be honest you will need a small bushing as well!

The first pic shows a standard sector;
    AC-UPI-ICS-MC09_zps476e52d6.jpg

This picture shows the VFC;
    vfc_zps0a052ef8.jpg

The standard has the little bushing on and the VFC doesn't.
    You need this bushing first before you start piling on shims.
    The bushing needs to be the thickness of the flat part of the tappet plate that makes contact with the sector gear. I think it is about 3mm.

Advertisement