Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 turns off when online with BLOP2?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

My original 60gb fatboy had developed a weird fault, will at all day long offline but after playing blops2 for just a few mins it powers down with a double beep and leaves a red light flashing.

Last night I tried playing BF3 online for the 1st time and it stayed on no issues?

PS3 is factory sealed and mine from new five years back, know its quite dusty inside (blew it with airline the other day should of seen the dust cloud!). It started doing this about 6 months back would power off after say 3 hours, but the time has gradually reduced to halfway through the 1st game now :(

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Is this too technical for boards? Thought I'd find an expert on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Possibly succumbed to the standard problems with the original "phat" 60GB, and is similar to one that my own suffered after 2 years of ownership. Mine used to shut down whilst playing the first Uncharted, before it finally went kaput.

There are a number of issues that it could be. If you're anywhere near Bray, I'd take it into ConsoleRepairs to see if they can have a look at it for you. It could be anything from Thermal Paste needing to be redone or even a reball of the solder.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Possibly succumbed to the standard problems with the original "phat" 60GB, and is similar to one that my own suffered after 2 years of ownership. Mine used to shut down whilst playing the first Uncharted, before it finally went kaput.

There are a number of issues that it could be. If you're anywhere near Bray, I'd take it into ConsoleRepairs to see if they can have a look at it for you. It could be anything from Thermal Paste needing to be redone or even a reball of the solder.

No I'm down south east Waterford way just can't get my head around why it will play all day offline, just gave 5 hrs online with bf3 but blops2 shuts it down?would it be bigger power drain hence heat build up for one game and not the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Migworks wrote: »
    No I'm down south east Waterford way just can't get my head around why it will play all day offline, just gave 5 hrs online with bf3 but blops2 shuts it down?would it be bigger power drain hence heat build up for one game and not the other?

Honestly wouldn't have a clue. I just remember my own having problems playing Uncharted. Every other game seemed ok, but I can't know for sure. I'd definitely recommend those lads above to have a look at it if you can.

I'd also suggest, that before it does 'go' for good, to backup the hard drive. Losing your PS3 is bad, but losing all your data as well is just rubbing the salt into the wounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Sounds like the thermal paste has deteriorated through use, the dust built up inside doesn't help exhaust heat either, your console is shutting down to prevent damage through overheating.

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    Sounds like the thermal paste has deteriorated through use, the dust built up inside doesn't help exhaust heat either, your console is shutting down to prevent damage through overheating.

Ok so can I renew this thermal paste? I've often stripped down the laptop to sort out stuff, and I'm handy with the soldering iron and electrics! Just don't get why some games work and blops2 doesn't ?

Ok so can I renew this thermal paste? I've often stripped down the laptop to sort out stuff, and I'm handy with the soldering iron and electrics! Just don't get why some games work and blops2 doesn't ?

Yeah you can replace the thermal paste clean off the old goop first with rubbing alcohol and apply a blob of arctic cooling mx2 in the centre of the CPU/GPU heat sinks, clean out the dust and reassemble.

Black Ops 2 is probably more intensive on the system especially when played online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Same thing happens when I play Black Ops 2 multiplayer on my day one 60gig PS3. I can play other games for hours on end, either from the disk or the hdd with no problems.

My 60gig is also factory sealed and Black Ops 2 is the only game that causes this problem.

Thanks guys, ill try that them. Assume I can pick up this electrical paste somewhere?
    Was thinking the CPU draw must be intense with blops2 to cause overheat and thermal shutdown.
    Must have a go and repair myself, don't want to buy a new ps3 with the 4 around the corner!

Thanks guys, ill try that them. Assume I can pick up this electrical paste somewhere?
    Was thinking the CPU draw must be intense with blops2 to cause overheat and thermal shutdown.
    Must have a go and repair myself, don't want to buy a new ps3 with the 4 around the corner!

It's not electrical paste it's thermal paste the particular brand/product you want is arctic cooling mx2 you can pick it up on eBay.

• Advertisement

It's not electrical paste it's thermal paste the particular brand/product you want is arctic cooling mx2 you can pick it up on eBay.

Ok will have a look cheers. While your on any good links to stripping down the original 60gb machine?

Ok will have a look cheers. While your on any good links to stripping down the original 60gb machine?

You'll need a security proof torx 8 screw driver to slip the top off this is common in all models, but disassembly of the rest of the PS3 can vary from model to model - a good place to start is with the model number on the back sticker - usually begins with "CECH" and then a series of numbers.

You'll need a security proof torx 8 screw driver to slip the top off this is common in all models, but disassembly of the rest of the PS3 can vary from model to model - a good place to start is with the model number on the back sticker - usually begins with "CECH" and then a series of numbers.

She is a 02-27430420-5394829-cechc03

She is a 02-27430420-5394829-cechc03

You've got a 60gb PS3 here's a decent guide -http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=4438

You've got a 60gb PS3 here's a decent guide -http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=4438

Ok cheers will have a look!

Advertisement