Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You want heat, you got heat

Options
  • 29-06-2013 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

The all-time temperature record might be broken in the next few days in Death Valley according to the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23107652
    Temperatures in Death Valley in the California desert are forecasted to reach 53C. The hottest air temperature ever recorded on Earth, 57C, was marked there almost 100 years ago on 10 July 1913.

Hmm, not sure how red hair and freckles would cope with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

we had 47C here today in Phoenix, expected to be 49C tomorrow....tis mild so it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

markfla wrote: »
    we had 47C here today in Phoenix, expected to be 49C tomorrow....tis mild so it is

Man you can be cooked at that temperature, hang on till i get the frying pan... That's just way too hot to function in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Holy hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Was in temps of around the 50 C mark a few years back in Barstow in California..Walked a hundred yards from the car to the shop and the sweat poured out of ya..You could perceptibly see the fuel guage moving with the aircon on to max...Some lunatics did an ultramarathon in and around the desert area of Eastern California that weekend,not sure how that is possible..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I suppose you can get acclimatised to that heat but it would take a while, a few months i think.

I looked at the above post and the humidity was only 18% so that's not bad, but if you had 90/100% humidity then i think it's time to die. it's just not feasible to remain alive at that humidity level imo. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Holy hell!

34 degrees at 4am?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

zenno wrote: »
    I suppose you can get acclimatised to that heat but it would take a while, a few months i think.

humans simply couldn't survive in the desert southwest in the middle of summer without artificial means, when you fly into las vegas for hundreds of miles in every direction nothing green grows which is mother natures way of telling us something :pac: you go to anywhere with high humidity like florida and its green pretty much everywhere which is another sign

extreme heat is far worse than high humidity, extreme heat burns sweat off very quickly so you don't feel things like dehydration coming on as fast, the early settlers to the desert southwest found this to their cost

leahyl wrote: »
    34 degrees at 4am?!!!

Yeah because the Phoenix metro area is huge and all that asphalt and concrete soaks up the heat.

uBwuplm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

The humidity there is insane too - 4%!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

rossie1977 wrote: »
    humans simply couldn't survive in the desert southwest in the middle of summer without artificial means, when you fly into las vegas for hundreds of miles in every direction nothing green grows which is mother natures way of telling us something :pac: you go to anywhere with high humidity like florida and its green pretty much everywhere which is another sign

extreme heat is far worse than high humidity, extreme heat burns sweat off very quickly so you don't feel things like dehydration coming on as fast, the early settlers to the desert southwest found this to their cost

you'd be surprised, there is loads of life in the desert. Thousands of cacti everywhere you look...not all big saguaro but lots of different smaller ones. If anyone ever visits over here I recommend going to the sanoran desert museum in Tucson which is a small segment of the larger saguaro forest...absolutely stunning place.
    www.desertmuseum.org
    If you're looking for no life at all in American SW that would be down by Yuma where the dunes are...lots of people go dune buddying from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Photographer experience of 55c heat in Death Valley.
    FURNACE CREEK, Calif. (AP) — Associated Press photographer Chris Carlson is no stranger to heat. He grew up just outside Palm Springs, Calif. On Friday, he returned to his desert roots, leaving his home near Los Angeles and driving to the hottest place on earth on one of the hottest days of the year. Below, he describes what it is like to be in triple digit heat in Death Valley:

___

By 9 a.m., the two bags of ice I loaded in the cooler are gone and the floor of my rental car looks like a storage bin at a recycling plant. Hydration is essential.

I know what to expect in Death Valley: Unrelenting heat so bad it makes my eyes hurt, as if someone is blowing a hair dryer in my face. I don't leave CDs or electronics in the car because they could melt or warp. I always carry bottles of water.

But I still make mistakes. I forgot my oven mitts, the desert driving trick I learned as a teenager after burning my hands too many times on the steering wheel. And my rental car is black, adding several degrees to the outside temperature of 127. When the digital thermometer at the Furnace Creek visitor center ticks up to 128, a few people jump out of their cars to take a picture. The record temperature for the region — and the world — is 134 degrees, reached a century ago.

I try to work in flip-flops, but the sun sears the tops of my feet, and I am forced to put shoes on. My cellphone, pulled from my shirt pocket, is so hot that it burns my ear when I try to take a call from my wife.

One of my first stops is at the Furnace Creek Golf Course, a place I've played in the past. The guy in the pro shop tells me they've only had two players all morning. Both were employees.

I don't stay long. The camera around my neck gets so hot it stops working. An error message flashes a warning at me.

I'm surprised to find out that hotels are packed with visitors. This is Death Valley's busy time of year. Tourists, mostly from Europe, come to experience extreme heat, or they just didn't know what they were getting into. Death Valley is between the Grand Canyon and Yosemite, and many people add it to their itinerary.

Tourists are out today, but they rarely emerge from their cars. They drive through the brown, cracked landscape, peering out at the vast desert and occasionally rolling down the windows, but only briefly.

Those who do attempt to get out of their cars park in sparse shade, sprint to local landmarks, snap a few photos, and then jump back in their cars. Most were out at daybreak. By midday, few people can be seen.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/AP-photographer-describes-128-degree-heat-4637104.php

Lunatic outs for a stroll

sRyTM1g.jpg

62dd9b7406b84966a7bc1jwcir.jpg

Read up a bit on Kuwait and in the summer there it's hitting 53 degress.People still go to work, drive around and get on with life, that's with humidity too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Extreme heat is not my cup of tea. Extreme cold on the other hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It was mid 40's when myself and my wife drove through there last year on our honeymoon. Hot, but not unbearable. I can imagine 50+ is unreal though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Even runners are melting on the footpaths in Texas!

WQnz85z.jpg

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/01/us/southwest-heat/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

RoverZT wrote: »
    Read up a bit on Kuwait and in the summer there it's hitting 53 degress.People still go to work, drive around and get on with life, that's with humidity too.

My Fiancee had three Saudi Arabian brothers as International Students during our own "heat wave" a couple of weeks or so ago. They were going around dressed in jackets complaining of the cold :D They desperately wanted to see rain, they asked a lot about it. Don't think they got it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

My Fiancee had three Saudi Arabian brothers as International Students during our own "heat wave" a couple of weeks or so ago. They were going around dressed in jackets complaining of the cold :D They desperately wanted to see rain, they asked a lot about it. Don't think they got it!

I used to work with a Spanish girl a few years ago and she loved our summers and absolutely loved the rain. It's just the opposite of what you're used to I guess.

I had a group of Saudi students living across from me last winter and it snowed really heavy one night and left a good covering, you should have seen them! They were like kids at Christmas, I've never seen adults so happy it was brilliant.

I remember being in London in 03 or 04 I think and it got to 40 degrees Celsius, it was unbearable, the heat radiating off the buildings and the tube was like a blast furnace, I like the heat but anything above 35 is pushing it.

Advertisement