Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Feel Old?

• 29-06-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Just sitting here watching the bbc's coverage of Glastonbury. There's a band on called The Horrors.There's a definite 80's look, feel and sound to them,which of itself, isn't a bad thing.
    But all I could think was
    "Stop time travelling through my ****ing youth, you pricks"
    And that in a nutshell sums up my feelings on kids today revisiting 80"s culture.
    I could spout some ****e about them needing to create their own culture, but I'm just sickened by how old it makes me feel.
    So AH'ers. What makes you feel old and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

The fact that Kenan & Kel ended 13 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Being Old really

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Whats life like in your late thirties, early forties? Is it worth even living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

I was thinking maybe the same could be asked of yours.

Thanks for the memory jog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I'm 23, young, vibrant, and the world is my oyster. Sorry old folks, some of us young revolutionaries are still around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Nah Top yourself Now

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

The fact 1990 was not 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

The fact that Kenan & Kel ended 13 years ago.

So I was watching them as a young teen when they had already ended? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

I remember things that most people haven't even experienced. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm 23, young, vibrant, and the world is my oyster. Sorry old folks, some of us young revolutionaries are still around.

Sorry lad, but that was us. You're young, vibrant and paying off a massive national debt.
    Thanks, by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No difference to you're twenties except maybe the body is a little less forgiving of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Me bingo wings or me wingo bings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Can't handle the hangovers like I did a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Oasis and Blur on the Golden Hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

When you go into a room for something ...and when you get there..you forget what you went in for...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Thinking about 1993 the other day and realising (using my abacus) its 20 years ago when I was a teen. Ray Cokes, MTV most wanted, The shamen, MTV partyzone, Nirvana, the Hopefuls on the word on Ch4 etc. Long gone, never forgotten.

And Vids if anybody remembers that on Ch4. Classic.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Thinking about 1993 the other day and realising (using my abacus) its 20 years ago when I was a teen. Ray Cokes, MTV most wanted, The shamen, MTV partyzone, Nirvana, the Hopefuls on the word on Ch4 etc. Long gone, never forgotten.

And Vids if anybody remembers that on Ch4. Classic.

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

What makes you feel old

Strangely enough, nothing makes me feel old and i'm "44" :D

I don't put numbers on my life's growth and i don't celebrate my birthdays because it's only a number. Mind over matter is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

kneemos wrote: »
    Who?

Which one?

And the Crystal Maze, another class show from 20 years back. The bald chap who hosted it (Richard O Brien) is 71!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I feel old sitting outside the pub waiting on my son to finish work.

But maybe that's also due to the fact that I was out til 2 this morning and then in College from 11 til 6 today and had to be polite to Joan Burton into the bargain.

Need sleep then will feel 20 again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

2 of my favorite films are 20 years old this year. Naked and True Romance. Naked actually won the Palm D'Or at Cannes.

And Amélie is 12 years old.

All that, plus the fact that if I go out on the piss, not only am I useless the next day, but I'm useless 2 days later as well. Could be due to the fact that I can hold ridiculous amounts of alcohol now too though.

zenno wrote: »

I don't put numbers on my life's growth and i don't celebrate my birthdays because it's only a number. Mind over matter is the key.

Actually that thing that opens the door is the key.

kneemos wrote: »
    Actually that thing that opens the door is the key.

Yeah, the mind, as the mind has to think to get the key to open the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

In my experience, its the people that don't celebrate birthdays,that fear them the most!

Yeah, the mind, as the mind has to think to get the key to open the door.

Yeah?Try sticking you're mind in the keyhole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Just sitting here watching the bbc's coverage of Glastonbury. There's a band on called The Horrors.There's a definite 80's look, feel and sound to them,which of itself, isn't a bad thing.
    But all I could think was
    "Stop time travelling through my ****ing youth, you pricks"
    And that in a nutshell sums up my feelings on kids today revisiting 80"s culture.
    I could spout some ****e about them needing to create their own culture, but I'm just sickened by how old it makes me feel.
    So AH'ers. What makes you feel old and why?

Sounds a bit contrary Fergie. Bedtime for you I think. You Don't own the eighties.

In my experience, its the people that don't celebrate birthdays,that fear them the most!

I don't agree, I celebrate every weekend with a party so when my birthday hits, it makes no difference as the party never stops, but celebrating a number is not that important imo.

This makes me feel young :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was watching Speed a few weeks back and realised it's 19 years old. I remember when Dave Fanning on The Movie Show did a review of it :(

Some people here mightn't believe this but when I was a youngster there was no piped water in the house and no electricity, outside toilet.
    That's only 45 years ago..

• Advertisement

What makes you feel young?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Last Thursday I became closer to retirement age than the day I started school.:(

Not that I'm counting or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

As the years pass faster and faster..

That's getting old..

Also when this may be the tenth thread I've answered this question :-)

and Gardai, why are they 12 year olds now?

foxinsox wrote: »
    and Gardai, why are they 12 year olds now?

yeah thats how it happens...

were not getting older; everyone else just gets younger and I acknowledge that now.

The kid off the Nevermind album is in his 20's :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

The kid off the Nevermind album is in his 20's :eek:

When you've seen Nirvana live ..

I win the feeling old ;-p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

When you hear Bon Jovi are having trouble selling out venues and you remember the Point was packed back in '95 for their "These Days" tour.

One of the girls in work that's ten years younger than me was telling me she was going to see them in Slane, and I just thought "I haven't heard a decent Bon Jovi song in about 20 years!", felt fairly old then alright! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

my slowing mental thoughts and aged body

I'm 23, which most of you consider young, but I'm an MSc student, which means everyday in university I'm surrounded by precocious little undergrads. THAT makes me feel old, especially since I wasted my undergrad years doing a course I hated.... :(

I know that plenty of older folk would love to be my age again but I can't help wishing I was 16 or 17 again; I feel like I didn't take advantage of my teenage years at all and then wasted the subsequent years doing something I didn't enjoy. :(

Last Thursday I became closer to retirement age than the day I started school.:(

Not that I'm counting or anything.

Belated "Happy Birthday".
    Your an in betweener.
    Don't talk about retirement yet.
    Wait t'ill your about my age. . .:P

I'm 23, which most of you consider young, but I'm an MSc student, which means everyday in university I'm surrounded by precocious little undergrads. THAT makes me feel old, especially since I wasted my undergrad years doing a course I hated.... :(

I know that plenty of older folk would love to be my age again but I can't help wishing I was 16 or 17 again; I feel like I didn't take advantage of my teenage years at all and then wasted the subsequent years doing something I didn't enjoy. :(

You are a spring chicken (burp) for zods sake, you are only starting life, Now i feel old :o

Mind over matter mind over matter mind over matter, Who am i fooling but myself, but that's good if i can fool myself :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Police and teachers. They're all feckin children themselves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The cars that I thought were super modern when I was a teenager are now old bangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I feel old because It's 7.14am on a Saturday morning and I'm not up because I was out on the lash last night and am in the horrors.I'm up because I had to pump some breast milk before my boobs exploded. Times - they have changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Going 'aaaahhh' every time I bend down to pick something up from the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Saw them in the Top Hat supporting Sonic Youth in '91. Didn't even know who they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

When I have to scroll down to my year of birth in online forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Someone in work got 3 stars on a winning streak ticket and I wondered was Mike Murphy still presenting it

Last time I watched that show he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

When the word wireless meant the radio!

Tîme pass... ke'm pasha te

-uf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When it takes you two days to recover from a night out.

When you bump into younger relatives that you used to babysit in the club/pub.

• Advertisement
Advertisement