Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Feel Old?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Next year is probably my last realistic chance to play in the world cup. I'll be too old for Russia 2018.

I still fancy myself for the Rugby World Cup in 2015 and the Lions tour of New Zealand in 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Agricola wrote: »
    Thats the thing about Boards. You think these wise old owls posting their wisdom are......old. But in reality 99% of them are a decade younger than you. Its nauseating!

Haha you're old!

This thread has made me feel young, cheers guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

LizT wrote: »
    Haha you're old!

True, yet not so old that I can't relate to the OP in today's Piss Horn thread. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Just realising the X-Files is 20 years old this year.

90s fashion coming back which I'm still wearing as though it never went away.

Being a part-time postgrad again at almost 41-older than most of the academic staff now.

Students born the year I started my first postgrad are now postgrads themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

When you start eyeing up the mother instead with her adult daughter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Haha you're old!

This thread has made me feel young, cheers guys :)
    Girl, you have never known a world without The Simpsons, you were a baby for Italia '90... I was 12 and pissed off about all this football keeping fellas, to kiss, off the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Girl, you have never known a world without The Simpsons, you were a baby for Italia '90... I was 12 and pissed off about all this football keeping fellas, to kiss, off the streets.

And something which disgusts one of my fellow mods... I only remember them as Ant and Dec not Pj and Duncan :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This thread makes me feel excellent and young if thats any consolation people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

sunbeam wrote: »
    Just realising the X-Files is 20 years old this year.

I was feeling ok until you posted that ye fecker. :D

On the plus side, Gillian Anderson looks sexier than ever in her new show, 'The Fall'. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

My eldest son played a few matches for the senior team last season.
    I asked him how did it go - grand, but they were all oul fellas.
    What do you mean?
    They were all about 22 or 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

daithi1970 wrote: »
    ..I work in a hospital -seeing the new crop of interns every July makes me feel very old indeed...
    Even more depressing when you are the patient and the interns are younger than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Still playing hurling. On my last year, I am in my mid 30s. A few of the lads on the team were talking about their debs and I realised that mine was the same year that some of these guys were born.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I was feeling ok until you posted that ye fecker. :D

On the plus side, Gillian Anderson looks sexier than ever in her new show, 'The Fall'. :)

Indeed, but Mulder and Scully just look so young now and don't even get me started on the original cast of ER...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I still think of two of my nephews as kids, however they're actually in their mid twenties and one of them is living with his girlfriend and her son.

The other day I saw someone I went to school with. He has a twelve year old son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

This thread started off reasonably smooth and then it went deep, but after all the talking.... now it's gone to this :eek: :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I watched a documentary about Fleetwood Mac the other night. They played a snippet of I'd Rather Jack by The Reynolds Girls. They repeatedly sing "I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac". That song was released in 1989 which makes it 24 years old. At the time it was released Fleetwood Macs Rumours would have been 13 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think one of the most depressing part of getting older is that mostly you don't feel older. My mindset would be pretty similar in a lot of ways to what it was when I was in my 20's.

I think one of the most depressing part of getting older is that mostly you don't feel older. My mindset would be pretty similar in a lot of ways to what it was when I was in my 20's.

My mum used to always say she only felt about 26, right up to her late 70s. I feel the same way most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 thewayiam

Realising how long ago it was since I left secondary school. I actually miss it. I hate all these responsobilites you get when you get older :(

Nothing like been 16 and down the river with a few cans and a fire lighting with mates :( Miss them years :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm sorry now, that I didn't ask people to post their age, when I started this thread.
    Feeling old definitely seems to be a state of mind.
    Some feeling old in their mid twenties and others feeling like spring chickens in their sixties. I'm 43 and feeling a little younger than I was last night. Course, its early and I havn't had a beer or put my cranky pants on yet;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Kennedy Assassination is closer in time to World War I than it is to the present day.

GoldenEye is 18 years old this year. The game is 16 years old.

The Sopranos had its début 14 years ago and ended 6 years ago.

I saw a car today that was made in the same year I was born and before I thought about it, I described it as an "ancient banger". :(

Beatlemania was circa. 50 years ago.

"Stairway To Heaven" is 42 years old.

Metallica released their début album, "Kill 'Em All", 30 years ago. Ditto Motley Crue's "Shout At The Devil".

World War I began 99 years ago. World War II 74 years ago. (and humanity still hasn't learned much from either of those experiences).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 thewayiam

When your balls or getting closer to touching your knees

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

During the last World Cup , myself and some other lads at work were talking about previous tournaments.

I was talking about going on an all day drinking session(stag party), during one of the Italia 90 games , when a college student on work placement with us kindly pointed out that he wasn't even born when that was on........:mad:

:o I'm only a baby really :P

You are too. You were a newborn when The Crystal Maze started!

I know several people who were born in 1991 and are now 22. That makes me feel old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Karsini wrote: »
    You are too. You were a newborn when The Crystal Maze started!

I know several people who were born in 1991 and are now 22. That makes me feel old.

Used to watch crystal maze on s4c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Whats life like in your late thirties, early forties? Is it worth even living?

You tell us tom you old codger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

DazMarz wrote: »
    World War I began 99 years ago. World War II 74 years ago. (and humanity still hasn't learned much from either of those experiences).

Maybe they learned it will be third time lucky.

DazMarz wrote: »
    The Kennedy Assassination is closer in time to World War I than it is to the present day.

GoldenEye is 18 years old this year. The game is 16 years old.

The Sopranos had its début 14 years ago and ended 6 years ago.

I saw a car today that was made in the same year I was born and before I thought about it, I described it as an "ancient banger". :(

Beatlemania was circa. 50 years ago.

"Stairway To Heaven" is 42 years old.

Metallica released their début album, "Kill 'Em All", 30 years ago. Ditto Motley Crue's "Shout At The Devil".

I still hate the beatles

thewayiam wrote: »

My knob touches my knees

• Advertisement

thewayiam wrote: »

Nah, You are getting confused with Gigantism. A very rare problem. Who would want that on their wish-list >?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I only realised I was old last week , I put a tv in my 4 year old daughters room and I started telling her how lucky she was because I had to wait till I was 13 and even then it was black and white and had no channel buttons, only a knob that you turn to find channels .

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I've just turned 25 and feel old as in going to pubs and nightclubs but i would still like to go? Am i being stupid or should i just wait till i'm maybe 30 to worry about it

I give up /thread.

25 and they think they are old :confused: I think it's time to do what most Irish people do and stick my head in the sand.

Now i understand ostriches, intelligent fellers indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'm 32 and can remember coal being delivered to my house by a man in a horse and cart. To my 22 year old nephew that sounds like something from the Victorian era

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Loud noisy young people.
    Seriously when did it become a requirement to have a full blown conversation with the person beside you at full volume.
    I'm in my mid forties so not totally ready for putting out to pasture, but the noise level of youngsters is just crazy. They seem totally unable to speak at a normal volume whenever three or more of them gather in one place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

risteard7 wrote: »
    I've just turned 25 and feel old as in going to pubs and nightclubs but i would still like to go?
    Good Christ... are you having a laugh? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Just watching "Coming To America" on E4 right now and I remembered skittiing in the schoolyard about the line-

"The royal penis is clean your highness"... :D

That was back in 1988 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Jesus wept...... Trading Places in 30 years old :(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

When I was getting irratated by the giggling young ones at the back of the bus thinking that was me once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

I remember in the first few years of the noughties thinking how easy it was to identify a decade like the 60s, 70s, 80s but how the 90s could never be like this. Now I look back on stuff and think "that's so 90's".

Also is puberty starting later nowadays? All teenagers look really young to me.

And starting posts, conversations etc. with I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

What makes me feel old: unwittingly attracting much older women on a night out. Really annoying me of late. I've 'just' gone 25, and aim for my own age range, but then I'm mostly mistaken for 30-32 and end up with 35-38 year olds. I'm not being sarcastic, this is a genuine problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

The fact 1990 was not 10 years ago.

Or even 20 years ago. :(

Can't handle the hangovers like I did a few years ago.

My hangovers are getting better with age for some reason. :confused:

Zen65 wrote: »
    • I remember long, hot summers in Ireland. I remember being sunburned by the time Wimbledon started in June.

A lot of people in Ireland were sunburned before Wimbledon this year. ;)
    Zen65 wrote: »

I remember when RTE & BBC did not operate 24 hours a day

The terrestrial channels going 24 hours a day is a fairly recent thing - I'm thinking turn of the millenium.

The terrestrial channels going 24 hours a day is a fairly recent thing - I'm thinking turn of the millenium.

1996 for RTE. 1997 for BBC One.

Meangadh wrote: »
    Realising that students starting in secondary school this September were born in 2001.

That's the year I did my LC. Gulp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

When a friend recently posted a 'do you remember getting ...' for this on FB recently, I found myself thinking how great it was to get a little angel, a little devil and a bag of tayto for 10p (and feeling relatively ancient at the same time!!). Could be worse- at least I'm not pre-decimal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I'm 32 and can remember coal being delivered to my house by a man in a horse and cart. To my 22 year old nephew that sounds like something from the Victorian era

Maybe you dreamt that? Im a good bit older than that, and Im damned if ever recal anyone delivering coal by horse and cart

Of course we had to haul it ourselves, you lucky bastard

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    1996 for RTE. 1997 for BBC One.

Still pretty recent - I wasn't too far off!

Advertisement