Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Makes You Feel Old?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I'm 23, young, vibrant, and the world is my oyster. Sorry old folks, some of us young revolutionaries are still around.

haaaa lm 21 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My 23 year old friend complaining about hangovers and reminiscing our 'youth' (I.e. the year before) makes me feel old! Or just sorry for her that she thinks 23 is old! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

Lots of things make me feel old....sitting in on a Saturday night being one!

Also;

The first years I was teaching this year were starting primary school while I was doing my leaving cert which made me feel ancient. Some of them had never watched/heard of Father Ted either!

Heard on the radio the other day that Angelica from the Rugrats would be 25 this year! Tommy would be 23, Phil & Lil would be 23 1/2 and Chuckie would be 24!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

When most of the bands you listened to in the 80/90's are either dead or have split up.

Or worse, are on a reunion tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

policarp wrote: »
    Some people here mightn't believe this but when I was a youngster there was no piped water in the house and no electricity, outside toilet.
    That's only 45 years ago..

Tipperary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

The fact that Kenan & Kel ended 13 years ago.
    shit. You have got to be feckin kidding? I am ooooolllldddddd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Zen65 wrote: »
    • snipped massive list

Yeay I now feel young again , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Everything is better in your late 30s. You've more confidence, you've achieved more, you're not swayed by peer pressure, you have a wide range of personal tastes and interests free from "group think" of the teens and early 20s.

The women are better, much better, because they're not near as headwrecking and have a calm and confidence about them which is inherently sexy. There's a depth and richness there which doesn't exist in most women in their early 20s, far too many of whom are depressingly vacuous and superficial.

Life is calmer, because you don't fret about the insignificant stuff as much and you know your value and this allows you to be a nicer, more giving person not weighed down by the insecurities and uncertainties of your early 20s. At least that's how I find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What makes ME feel old people is an unusual lust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

That's the year I did my LC. Gulp.

I was the year before... bigger gulp :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

When you see a some sexy girl walking down the street on a friday night, or talk to one in a pub, but find out she was born in 1995 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was never a Public Enemy fan but looking at them at Glastonbury makes me cringe for them. It's like watching someone's grandad at a wedding. Mr P just asked me if one of the guys was Ice T. Or as he put it:

Mr P: Is that that guy off that show, you know the one, with the girl?
    Me: Eh can you be more specific?
    Mr P: ohhh *shakes head trying to think of guys name,You know the one I mean!
    Me: *takes random guess, Ice T?
    Mr P: Yeah him.
    Now I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Arthritis,it's physical restrictions.Acceptance. didn't acquire that till the years taught me everything is up to you(me;))! It really does make life easier not to sweat the small stuff, and smell as many roses as you can while you can.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I've recently caught myself saying Back in the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Being born in the late 80s makes you old now. We're finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Karsini wrote: »
    1996 for RTE. 1997 for BBC One.

Ahh, that's not what I meant. BBC News 24-hour service began in 1997.

But prior to 1986 BBC 1 would shut down during the weekday after the morning children's programmes, showing either a screen test card or pages from their Ceefax service until some time in the mid-afternoon. I'm not sure when RTE began broadcasting all-day, but it was prior to 1996 I'm fairly sure.

Adding to the thoughts which might make me feel old, I remember when RTE2 Television was launched, and even when RTE Radio 2 was launched (anyone else remember "Cominatcha" campaign?)

Incidentally it was not uncommon for households not to own a television when I was a child. We rented one from a TV rental company. Prior to 1977 the TV we rented was black & white as it was cheaper to rent.

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

+1 for the tv rental. Had completely forgotten about that. O'Connors in Galway must've made a fortune off those rentals over the years. Come to think of it, I think they still do student rental deals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Salt001 wrote: »
    Loud noisy young people.
    Seriously when did it become a requirement to have a full blown conversation with the person beside you at full volume.
    I'm in my mid forties so not totally ready for putting out to pasture, but the noise level of youngsters is just crazy. They seem totally unable to speak at a normal volume whenever three or more of them gather in one place.
    I'm the same age as you and I remember them saying that about teenagers when we were kids. They've been saying it about kids since waaaaay back. Hell the ancient Greeks noted it and whinged about how kids these days have it better. It's a timeless thing.

Actually that for me is really feeling old, when you forget you were a kid once yourself. So far so good. :) Though some people were never really kids. A couple of mates were like that. Middle aged at 15. Yea they're allowed whinge :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Mentioned supercans in work the other day and nobody knew what I was talking about

Whippersnappers!

As with everything there is a facebook campaign to bring them back
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-Supercans/113391495360901

Zen65 wrote: »
    Ahh, that's not what I meant. BBC News 24-hour service began in 1997.

But prior to 1986 BBC 1 would shut down during the weekday after the morning children's programmes, showing either a screen test card or pages from their Ceefax service until some time in the mid-afternoon. I'm not sure when RTE began broadcasting all-day, but it was prior to 1996 I'm fairly sure.

Adding to the thoughts which might make me feel old, I remember when RTE2 Television was launched, and even when RTE Radio 2 was launched (anyone else remember "Cominatcha" campaign?)

Incidentally it was not uncommon for households not to own a television when I was a child. We rented one from a TV rental company. Prior to 1977 the TV we rented was black & white as it was cheaper to rent.

Z

I know that Network 2 (as it was back then) still didn't start until 2:30 in the mid 90s. RTE One was usually around 10-11am I think. I remembered thinking it was odd that all of the other stations would be on the air at 6am-7am while both RTE stations were still showing a test card until mid morning/early afternoon. I've no idea when they started continuous transmission and stopped closing throughout the day.

I don't think I'm old enough to remember the BBC stations closing during the day but I do remember seeing their test card.

One of my colleagues in my old job told me that his mother still rents her TV today. I didn't think that there was anyone still doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I remember scoring a try worth four points.

Seeing Motorhead in junior school in 1982 !!! Thats thirty one years ago ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Black and white Tv's and the only channel to watch was RTE one,
    Can remember when RTE two and RTE Radio two came on air.

Although sometimes I cant help sometimes thinking,it was easier,only 2 channels of rubbish to choose from,now it's 200 channels of rubbish going 24 hours a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My birth cert makes me feel old, it was issued 43 years ago but then I look at my 30 year old wife and I don't feel so old anymore. Much as I'd like to be back in my 20's again I wouldn't be willing to give up anything I have in my life at the moment, for it. Life is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Having a job! :p

^^ for the little pricks slagging off all us crypt keepers*

*look it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Driving an auld farmers car. Looking at late 90's cars and thinking ah sure they're still new..... Oh wait :o

Losing count of the number of vehicles I've owned, let alone driven and worked on :confused:

Not being asked ID despite looking significantly younger than most of the circle...

Turning up to outings in dirty clothes and not giving a sh*te what others think....

Alcoholism. How I hate thee at times :(

Missing teeth, having more metal fillings than actual teeth :(

Realising I'm a reservist for the past 7 years :eek:

Not being able to work my phone!

Whilst I am not old at all or particularly feel old, it's creeping in..... Bring it on b*tch! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

18 year old girls...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm not really old but what makes me feel old is listeneing to modern "music." Like the Harlem Shake or Rihanna with her Umberella ella ella ella ella ella ... plus some of what passes for dance music today but has absolutely no melody whatsoever.
    :confused:
    It all makes me want to cry because when I was growing up the the 1990s they made decent ****ing music, in addition music from the 70s and 80s was also commonly heard on the radio as being recent. That's what I grew up with, and listening to some of the crap that people are actually listening to makes me feel like I belong in the last century, where all the decent ****ing music was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

There's loads of brilliant music being made these days though - and now it's so easily accessible.
    But I know what you mean about the charts. There seems to be nothing good in the charts anymore now. Before, there was always a handful of good songs. And before anyone says "Wah, that's because you're old", nope: chart music has genuinely deteriorated severely, thanks to the Fix Factor and The Voice et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Merch wrote: »
    Maybe you dreamt that? Im a good bit older than that, and Im damned if ever recal anyone delivering coal by horse and cart

Of course we had to haul it ourselves, you lucky bastard

I can see why you'd think that but there was a guy who did just that out in the Liberties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Merch wrote: »
    Maybe you dreamt that? Im a good bit older than that, and Im damned if ever recal anyone delivering coal by horse and cart

Of course we had to haul it ourselves, you lucky bastard

coal?? what the hell is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Tipperary?

Clare. . .
    Ah! The Good Olde Days. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I remember scoring a try worth four points.

I remember scoring a try worth three points. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

There's loads of brilliant music being made these days though - and now it's so easily accessible.
    But I know what you mean about the charts. There seems to be nothing good in the charts anymore now. Before, there was always a handful of good songs. And before anyone says "Wah, that's because you're old", nope: chart music has genuinely deteriorated severely, thanks to the Fix Factor and The Voice et al.

Didn't our parents used to say stuff like that? And before them our grandparents gave out about Elvis and The Beatles, and, well, I'm neither a fan of Elvis nor The Beatles. I think this song sums up the whole "back in our day vs the youth of today" mentality -

(Christ YouTube on mobile is painful! :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Didn't our parents used to say stuff like that? And before them our grandparents gave out about Elvis and The Beatles, and, well, I'm neither a fan of Elvis nor The Beatles. I think this song sums up the whole "back in our day vs the youth of today" mentality -

(Christ YouTube on mobile is painful! :()
    Yes they did, but what they were moaning about was still decent music, it just didn't appeal to them because it was different to what they were used to.
    X Factor etc isn't comparable IMO.

I started thinking most chart music was sh1t when I was 12/13, so getting auld can't be blamed in my case! But I reckoned there were still always a few good songs in the charts, right up until recent years - The Neptunes and Timbaland did great stuff I thought. The stuff out now is overwhelmingly just the same bland formula. Maybe there is the very odd good song in the charts at the moment, but I honestly can't think of one - oh actually that Blurred Lines tunes is all right. Still plenty of great music out there though, just not in the charts/on daytime radio. And a good pop song is a wonderful thing - shame to see it happening so little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

having a sore back after rasslin with the kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Realising that my 17 year old cousin had no idea what this was or how to use it:

dfp_500telephone.jpg

An everyday item of my youth is now considered a virtual antique, a mad looking invention from a far ago era.

He couldn't even remember an instance of seeing one on tv. My mum has had one as her bedroom phone since I was young.

Do image links not work anymore here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Yes they did, but what they were moaning about was still decent music, it just didn't appeal to them because it was different to what they were used to.
    X Factor etc isn't comparable IMO.

I started thinking most chart music was sh1t when I was 12/13, so getting auld can't be blamed in my case! But I reckoned there were still always a few good songs in the charts, right up until recent years - The Neptunes and Timbaland did great stuff I thought. The stuff out now is overwhelmingly just the same bland formula. Maybe there is the very odd good song in the charts at the moment, but I honestly can't think of one - oh actually that Blurred Lines tunes is all right. Still plenty of great music out there though, just not in the charts/on daytime radio. And a good pop song is a wonderful thing - shame to see it happening so little.

There you go :D

But yeah I mean, I know what you're saying and all FF but music is very subjective, and the first manufactured boy band that comes to mind is The Monkees, and they even had their own tv show, and there was The Partridge Family, and there were a whole ton of X-Factor equivalent shows on tv in the sixties!

(Not that I was even around back then, but RTE showed a fcuk ton of these syndicated shows in the 80's and 90's, the concept of "original programming" having eluded them up until recently! :pac:), hell even David Essex was the Justin Bieber of his day! :D

Shìt, I just had a fleeting memory of my mother prancing around the living room singing this -

There goes all those years in therapy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

This....

Advertisement