Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solicitors and Ex VAT pricing.

• 29-06-2013 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Thread going on in Accom and Property forum. The Prices and Charges (Tax-Inclusive Statements) Order, 1973 has been raised - why does this not seem to apply to solicitors?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1973/en/si/0009.html
    4. Where, for the purposes of or in connection with the rendering of a service by a person, the charge for the service is stated orally by the person or by a servant or agent of the person or is stated in any catalogue or advertisement or in a notice or other document (other than an invoice), the charge so stated shall be stated as a single amount inclusive of any charge made by the person for any tax payable in respect of the service.

This order is still in force. I don't see why it doesn't apply.

It seems that solicitors should be quoting VAT inclusive prices.

It seems to me that most solicitors tend to quote along the lines of "€2,000.00 + VAT + outlays." instead of giving an all-in figure, but at least this method does not mislead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1973/en/si/0009.html

This order is still in force. I don't see why it doesn't apply.

It seems that solicitors should be quoting VAT inclusive prices.

It seems to me that most solicitors tend to quote along the lines of "€2,000.00 + VAT + outlays." instead of giving an all-in figure, but at least this method does not mislead.

any bill of costs or estimate should always include a final total, would this not satisfy the quoted section?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

any bill of costs or estimate should always include a final total, would this not satisfy the quoted section?

Yes, indeed. A VAT inclusive fee estimate would do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 zachaus

I got a bill for ~€7k (inc. VAT) for a recent probate.

Just wondering if this is on the high side for a house worth €520k?

Straightforward case.

Advertisement