Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexing Hop Plants

Options
  • 29-06-2013 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I've managed to germinate six hop plants from seeds. My understanding is that I need to distory the male plants as I do not want them fertilising the female plants. Besides that I am aware that it's illegal to grow male hops in this country. The plants are about 7inchs high now. So I've got a long time before they produce any cones.

But the thing is I can not find any info on sexing them. There's nothing on YouTube or any homebrew forums. Can any of you guys help? I know rhizomes are a easier option and perhaps I should have gone down that route, but I didn't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

My reply will be no use to you..

But I thought it said sexy hot pants..

But I guess beer is good too.

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

foxinsox wrote: »
    My reply will be no use to you..

But I thought it said sexy hot pants..

But I guess beer is good too.

:-)

Me too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

They might know here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1059 or http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=845

Why is it illegal to grow male hops plants anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Can the mods move this if they feel it's more suited else where.

I believe the male plant is outlawed cos it spreads like wildfire. Charlie Haughty outlawed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hop plants are very similar to another plant with flowering cones that don't smell unlike hop cones, I'm told. The plant I speak of is illegal to cultivate in Ireland.
    If you search sexing that plant you might find some useful information that would transfer to hop plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Why is it illegal to grow male hops plants anyway?

they can destroy hop crops if the female flowers are fertilized, it an old statute from when there here commercial hops where grown in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I'm still finding it impossible to find any information on sexing them.

Advertisement