Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discoloured Tap water - north side.

Options
  • 29-06-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else have a brown hue to their tap water?
    Noticed it first at 8 this morning , just went to wash a chicken and when I filled the sink the water was light brown. :eek:

Am in Glanmire/Banduff/Mayfield area.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

it could be a burst main or disturbance or vibration in the mains pipe. could be from traffic work. its usually because the cast iorn pipe sediments in the mains supply has been disturbed.its usually an orange/brown colour. it will not create health problems.

however if its coming from the hot tap. its coming from your storage water. (attic tank)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

it could be a burst main or disturbance or vibration in the mains pipe. could be from traffic work. its usually because the cast iorn pipe sediments in the mains supply has been disturbed.its usually an orange/brown colour. it will not create health problems.

however if its coming from the hot tap. its coming from your storage water. (attic tank)

Seems to be clearing up a bit now. It was the mains cold tap. Still a bit discoloured but nothing like it was. Thanks for putting my mind at rest - I was refusing to give the kids water to drink...

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Seems to be clearing up a bit now. It was the mains cold tap. Still a bit discoloured but nothing like it was. Thanks for putting my mind at rest - I was refusing to give the kids water to drink...

if it continues . you can buy water fillter jugs (cheap enough). to give you a clear drink colour.

or

fit a water filter for drinking water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah, we've had this problem too over the last week or so. I use a water jug anyway, but it's not good news when washing food or doing the washing up.

I have to say, I've not noticed anything too off-key today, but will check now.

I suppose this is a stupid question, but I don't suppose any of the water rate charges will be used to improve the water quality and supply? The nightmares of 2010 and 2011 are still fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yeah, we've had this problem too over the last week or so. I use a water jug anyway, but it's not good news when washing food or doing the washing up.

I have to say, I've not noticed anything too off-key today, but will check now.

I suppose this is a stupid question, but I don't suppose any of the water rate charges will be used to improve the water quality and supply? The nightmares of 2010 and 2011 are still fresh!

It was grand until this morning. Our usual problem is a strong chlorine smell.

Somehow I doubt any of the water charge money will go towards improving the quality :(.

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It was grand until this morning. Our usual problem is a strong chlorine smell.

Somehow I doubt any of the water charge money will go towards improving the quality :(.

chlorine is added to public water mains supply to kill disease causing bacteria.

hard water is also a problem in cork leading to limescale and damage to plumbing & heating components. So installing a water softner. I would recommend.

i am for ever replacing kitchen taps , showers ect. due to this. it has major effects and large expenses can occur to heating systems and boilers also due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We got a notice in the door regarding work being done to our water main tomorrow.
    As part of the Cork City Water Supply Scheme - Rehabilitation of NOrth Low North & North Low East DMA's Scheme, Cork City Council intends to undertake substantial water mains rehabilitation contracts. These will be undertaken in areas north of the River Lee. The objective of these contracts is to renew the ageing water infrastructure and thereby reduce levels of leakage and unaccounted for water.

Advertisement