Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Nissan Leaf from €20,990

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah just did the Calc, and still coming up as zero VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

No VRT on leaf from U.k.

You get a max of 5 k back now so they're not automatically exempt any more.

Anyone unsure can Goto the revenue VRT calculator to check.

It must be over 6 months old and xxx amount of miles or you'll be charged a full 23% vat when you register it at the VRT office.

So whats the xxx amount of miles.
    I was thinking if i did get one that it would have less than about 7000 miles.
    That still comes up as zero on the vrt website. I have heard stories about people using the vrt website and then when they go in to pay the vrt its thousands more. The website got it wrong.

All U.k cars get the granny cable but afaik not the cable that allows you to plug into ESB public chargers! but join the irishevowners group on Facebook and I'm sure they can advise you on where to get one. Leaf talk.co.uk are very helpful too and may even recommend a dealer to go to, some dealers are even on there and may even get you a good bargain.

I don't know how you'd know if it has the 6.6 kw charger, perhaps it's written in the book in the car , I don't know. But all MK 1.5 have only 3.5 kw charger.

You'd never make money importing leafs, unless you're a dealer maybe.

Well you would certainly need a cable to plug into public charges or fast chargers. Not much use without that.

It just highlights the problems with EV. Buy petrol or diesel car. Fill it up, and drive away. Its not this minefield of chargers and cables and grannies.

Jaybor wrote: »
    So whats the xxx amount of miles.
    I was thinking if i did get one that it would have less than about 7000 miles.
    That still comes up as zero on the vrt website. I have heard stories about people using the vrt website and then when they go in to pay the vrt its thousands more. The website got it wrong.

There will be a V.A.T charge not VRT if it's less than 6 months old, I don't know about the miles but I think it must be more than 6K miles, again that info is on Revenue.

Well you would certainly need a cable to plug into public charges or fast chargers. Not much use without that.

It just highlights the problems with EV. Buy petrol or diesel car. Fill it up, and drive away. Its not this minefield of chargers and cables and grannies.

Yes I agree and to make it worse for BMW I3 or VW E-Golf users they use a different fast charger called CCS, though all new chargers will have CCS and CHAdeMo for the Leaf/I-mev.

The cable shouldn't be hard to find, though again, the best place to ask about the cable for the public (non fast chargers) is the irishevowners group on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Has anyone successfully negotiated money off a new leaf ?

I found Windsor not willing to take as much as a euro off, If I was to do it I'd be looking to not take the 1600 hit in excess mileage. But I doubt they'll budge on that.
    loinnsigh wrote: »
    Nothing off, but 3 yrs servicing and granny cable on SV. Decent price on my crappy trade-in too so that's kind of a discount. I'm going in to Windsor tomorrow for a final haggle and decide on colour (black or red - leaning towards black). Will report back.

Made my purchase. So I got the granny cable and 3 yrs servicing as agreed previously. Also got the solar spoiler on the SV thrown in. Decided on black. Pick it up next week. Can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

congrats, they look great in black imo

I would love to hire one of these for a week.
    Is there anywhere who hires them out?

Made my purchase. So I got the granny cable and 3 yrs servicing as agreed previously. Also got the solar spoiler on the SV thrown in. Decided on black. Pick it up next week. Can't wait :)

Congrats, best of luck.

Don't forget to create a new thread with your experiences !

Did you get the 6.6 KW charger ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would love to hire one of these for a week.
    Is there anywhere who hires them out?

Not that i know of, but some dealers will give you a 24 hour test drive. Huton & Meade in Dublin 15 offered it to me recently.

• Advertisement

Congrats, best of luck.

Don't forget to create a new thread with your experiences !

Did you get the 6.6 KW charger ?

Didn't get the 6.6kw, was led to believe I wouldn't need it as the majority of my charging will either be home charge or the occasional 30min fast charge. Is this wrong? Should I have gone for the 6.6kw option?

Didn't get the 6.6kw, was led to believe I wouldn't need it as the majority of my charging will either be home charge or the occasional 30min fast charge. Is this wrong? Should I have gone for the 6.6kw option?

When i was pricing up mine, i didnt want it, but after researching it, i thought it was worth the extra €900 on paper. You may get a deal on one thats in stock somewhere in the country with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

What does the 6KW charger do please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Isn't one of the main selling points of the Leaf that, given there are so few moving parts, servicing is miniscule? Like an annual service is only €150 or something?

Not knocking your purchase like. Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Soarer wrote: »
    Isn't one of the main selling points of the Leaf that, given there are so few moving parts, servicing is miniscule? Like an annual service is only €150 or something?

My last service cost me €102

Scottie99 wrote: »
    My last service cost me €102

Service is the wrong word.

Diagnostic check, inspection.

There is no right or wrong, only what best meets your needs.

k123456 wrote: »
    What does the 6KW charger do please

It allows the car to charge twice as fast from home 32 amp capable or public chargers, (non DC fast public chargers)

Hotel evse ( the box on the wall) will most likely be 3.5 kw or 16 amp capable, enough for an over night full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Service is the wrong word.

Diagnostic check, inspection.

You better tell Nissan this.. :)

Scottie99 wrote: »
    You better tell Nissan this.. :)

lol. I would if they called it a service to me ! ;)

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »

Cheers, yes he told me the service was about €130 per year so 3 years is worth ~€400.

It allows the car to charge twice as fast from home 32 amp capable or public chargers, (non DC fast public chargers)

Hotel evse ( the box on the wall) will most likely be 3.5 kw or 16 amp capable, enough for an over night full charge.

That's OK then - I don't think it would be something I would need too often (if at all).

Went into windsor motors again today and said im very close to buying the leaf with the offer they made. But I would like a granny charger too and I would like them to let me rent a nissan leaf for a week off them.
    They said yes they will throw in a granny charger too, but couldnt rent me a car for the week, so i asked them to give me one for a weekend test drive and they wouldnt do that either.

I was looking at second hand leafs in there too and they are an awful price for second hand. ~Nearly the same as buying one new.

Oh, and the 2015 model is going to have a range of 215Km.
    Looks like the current leaf might now be obsolete.

Went into windsor motors again today and said im very close to buying the leaf with the offer they made. But I would like a granny charger too and I would like them to let me rent a nissan leaf for a week off them.
    They said yes they will throw in a granny charger too, but couldnt rent me a car for the week, so i asked them to give me one for a weekend test drive and they wouldnt do that either.

I was looking at second hand leafs in there too and they are an awful price for second hand. ~Nearly the same as buying one new.

Huron and Meade where much more appealing to me. Offered an SVE spec for 24 hours.

2015 might be the year for me to go EV then.

kceire wrote: »
    Huron and Meade where much more appealing to me. Offered an SVE spec for 24 hours.

2015 might be the year for me to go EV then.

Thanks.
    I might try them.

Where did you hear that ? There's all sorts of the "usual" rumours floating about.

The current one was supposed to have 180 kms range on the NEDC,

it's inevitable that Leaf II will have at the very least a real 100 miles range, but I doubt we'll see an improvement by 2017 before the life cycle of the current model expires,

I bet leaf II will either have the same battery, or the same range but a more compact new battery and an "option" of a larger battery for a substantial price, I'm guessing a Leaf with a 40 kwh battery will cost about 35,000 Euro's (after the Grant and VRT )

If I were to give my best guess, I'm guessing the Leaf II will have an (optional) 35 kwh battery for about 3-5 K Euro's extra and continue to ioffer the smaller battery for the same price.

It would be nice to see 35-40 Kwh for the same price but i very much doubt it, though 2017 is still a bit away yet.

Where did you hear that ? There's all sorts of the "usual" rumours floating about.

The current one was supposed to have 180 kms range on the NEDC,

it's inevitable that Leaf II will have at the very least a real 100 miles range, but I doubt we'll see an improvement by 2017 before the life cycle of the current model expires,

I bet leaf II will either have the same battery, or the same range but a more compact new battery and an "option" of a larger battery for a substantial price, I'm guessing a Leaf with a 40 kwh battery will cost about 35,000 Euro's (after the Grant and VRT )

If I were to give my best guess, I'm guessing the Leaf II will have an (optional) 35 kwh battery for about 3-5 K Euro's extra and continue to ioffer the smaller battery for the same price.

It would be nice to see 35-40 Kwh for the same price but i very much doubt it, though 2017 is still a bit away yet.

The salesman let it slip today. €4000 more expansive than the current option too,

The salesman let it slip today. €4000 more expansive than the current option too,

I very much doubt the salesman would know the details of a future model apart from what he read on the internet.

• Advertisement

Yes That article has been re-printed on numerous sites in one form or another and for the moment is entirely speculation. Nissan are not going to confirm a much better leaf halfway through it's production cycle.

Remember Nissan Motor Co loose money on every leaf sold because it's sold at a price less than what they can currently make it. But sales volume look good.

The Germans only make electrics because they are told to in order to continue to sell ICE cars, so they have to make the E-Golf/ E-up, I3 etc and suffer a loss and though they are not happy to do it, they do it to ensure they continue to make vast sums of money on ICE cars and make sure their cars can go no further than the Leaf in the hope no one will buy them so they can tell the Government "ha, see, I told you no one wanted to buy electric cars" ! and forget about them and continue to do what they've always done, make ICE cars and not worry about having to re-tool and invest on newer technologies.

When and if Nissan do offer greater range (which is inevitable) and sales explode, then will the rest of the car makers race to mabe better electrics.

I swear that if Nissan had a 130 mile range EV then the Germans would also have one by now.

I certainly wouldn't be buying an E-golf/I3 now because in 2 years (maybe) less Nissan will have a real 100-130 miles.

having said that, if the range of the I3, E-Up, E-Golf and of course Leaf.meets your needs then there isn't much need to spend much extra on carrying a more expensive battery than you need.

VW claim the E-Golf is 30% more efficient than "competitors" I'll believe it when i see it.

Advertisement