Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Nissan Leaf from €20,990

Options

Comments

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    I think EV`s won't be suitable for most of the people till the likes of Tesla Model S drop down in price and those superchargers appear all over the world.

The Tesla model S will not drop in price any time soon as it's a premium car. They do though have a 60 kwh battery for a lower price that will probably cost more in the E.U than the 80 kwh in the U.S due to the massive taxes we have on everything. afaik they don't offer the 40 kwh battery option any more.

Tesla are planning to make a lower priced car and smaller than the Model S for 2015-2017.

The Toyota RAV 4 EV has a 40 kwh (Tesla battery and drive train) battery but not available in Europe. Seems to have a genuine 150 mile range.

Honestly 150 miles is enough because adding more means more weight so you end up chasing your tail and end up with a huge battery that costs too much.

The Model S test car has over 300,000 miles and is still working perfectly (according to Tesla) partly helped by the fact most people will only use half of the pack greatly reducing cycling of the battery.

The Golf E.V will have more range than the Leaf but not that much more 10-15 maybe. If the battery has a heater then it would be a better option as range would not be effected as much in winter.

I think 40 kwh and super charging would be the point where it keeps most people happy, beyond that is unnecessary.

ei9go wrote: »
    Can you charge an EV in the North or in Britain with your Irish smartcard?

I'm not sure but I believe you can as the ESB are installing the network up there seemingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Technology should be moving forwards not backwards.
    Until EV (or its replacement) has comparable or better range than ICE, it will never be taken up as anything other than a niche market at best, consisting of ecomentalists and fanboys.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Not to mention, the only EV I would ever consider is the Tesla S, and that is only because it has comparable range to an ICE.

Faster charging is much more important than the expense and weight of a large battery that you might rarely need.

Even an hour charge is fine if you have a 40 kwh battery that can take you 150 real miles. I don't think most people would do over 150 miles a day most of the time.

Technology should be moving forwards not backwards.
    Until EV (or its replacement) has comparable or better range than ICE, it will never be taken up as anything other than a niche market at best, consisting of ecomentalists and fanboys.

It will be taken up very quickly if the E.U or Irish Government decide to change laws requiring 0 emissions in cities and requiring petrol and diesel to pay much more to do so. That's not unimaginable.

As I said earlier, many people spend 20 euro a week in Petrol or Diesel and the savings on going electric will not matter to them so the incentive isn't there.

If ICE cars become too expensive that people can't afford to run them then people will change.

• Advertisement

Faster charging is much more important than the expense and weight of a large battery that you might rarely need.

Even an hour charge is fine if you have a 40 kwh battery that can take you 150 real miles. I don't think most people would do over 150 miles a day most of the time.
    Maybe not, but I like to randomly go for a drive to somewhere just for the pleasure of driving.

Maybe it is 100-150-200km away. I have freedom to do so because I have an ICE which is refillable in a matter of <5 minutes and provides about 800-900km of range.

Give me an EV which can do that, otherwise it is a backwards step. Removal of the freedom to travel as I am currently afforded by my ICE vehicle.

It will be taken up very quickly if the E.U or Irish Government decide to change laws requiring 0 emissions in cities and requiring petrol and diesel to pay much more to do so. That's not unimaginable.

As I said earlier, many people spend 20 euro a week in Petrol or Diesel and the savings on going electric will not matter to them so the incentive isn't there.

If ICE cars become too expensive that people can't afford to run them then people will change.

That wont happen any time soon ;)

Any government who did that would soon be out of office and lynched in the street. Too many people depend on ICE transport and don't have 25k to throw at a stopgap technology. Wait till the real replacement comes in and then maybe it is a possibility. You cant enforce a tax as an "incentive to change" without a viable option to change to.
    I know you are the forum's mouthpiece for EVs and, while they have their uses, even you must surely accept that.

Nothing battery powered is ever going to be the ICE replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know the Leaf won't work for many but it will work for the majority, as I said there are not the incentives in going electric for Irish people as petrol and Diesel are still cheap for the low mileage driver.

The range would meet 95% of my driving within the 80 odd miles the Leaf is capable, there are more long journeys I can take with the new fast chargers and there are more coming soon meaning I can take even more journeys.

sorry, but you're wrong. it will NOT work for the majority - the limitations of charging infrastructure in terms of availability and usage alone mean if they were €5k tomorrow, the hard shoulders of Ireland would be littered with 'flat' Leaf's..(Leaves ?? )

secondly - it works for YOU. Yes. And your mileage issue would cover a lot of people, I agree. But only for as long as EV is not popular. Make it popular and we're back to my former point.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

:D

:D

Well you've swayed me to the EV fanboi brigade with that well thought out riposte!

• Advertisement

Maybe not, but I like to randomly go for a drive to somewhere just for the pleasure of driving.

Maybe it is 100-150-200km away. I have freedom to do so because I have an ICE which is refillable in a matter of <5 minutes and provides about 800-900km of range.

Give me an EV which can do that, otherwise it is a backwards step. Removal of the freedom to travel as I am currently afforded by my ICE vehicle.

If e.v's can charge faster I don't see the problem, we don't live in the outback of Australia.

;)

Well you've swayed me to the EV fanboi brigade with that well thought out riposte!

I was looking for a better one,

Such as these.

sFun_banghead.gif

sSig_lol.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

BMJD wrote: »

My commute is 55km each way (which rules out a bicycle!), mostly motorway. I have a 3rd Gen Prius anyway so running costs are as low as practical for me.

What is that costing you roughly? I'd be interested in a Prius as they have been around long enough to be pretty affordable second hand. I have a similar commute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

marketty wrote: »
    What is that costing you roughly? I'd be interested in a Prius as they have been around long enough to be pretty affordable second hand. I have a similar commute

I'm averaging 4.7 l/100km (60 mpg) - that's real-world calculations, the trip thingy shows 4.4 or 4.5. That would be mainly motorway driving which isn't great for economy in the Prius and I'm not going out of my way to hypermile the car either.

marketty wrote: »

Here is a thread on the Prius. You can follow it all if you want but I gave a few tips on driving it in the 2nd last post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056949959&page=3

The seats are not the most comfortable, a cushion really helps for the lower back.

The MK III 09+ has a decent bit more poke and is nicer and much quieter to accelerate, go for that if you can. It's more efficient but I couldn't test it long enough to comment.

But the MK II is one of the most reliable cars on the road in the world.

It needs 0 major servicing. Just oil filters every 10K miles, sparks around 60k miles, there is only 1 belt that drives the water pump. The A/C is electric, steering pump electric.

There have been a few recalls, water pump, steering and accelerator. But non failed on me.

Convert to LPG and you've one of the cheapest cars to run bar fully electric.

Prius MK II on lpg would be as cheap to run as an 85-90 mpg car.

Mine has 155,000 odd kms and nothing has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

When I created this thread I did so because anyone buying a new car should consider the leaf because its the cheapest car to fuel by far that is available. It's great to drive.

Buying any other new car on petrol and diesel will cost much more. To run.

By the way the polo will need much more natural resources to drive on such as petrol, or have you forgotten that ?

The Leaf can be charged at night or day by a mix of wind energy and more is being added and you have the option to install your own solar and wind and you can even sell the excess to the grid.

But drive the polo and pollute the air, it's the cheapest thing to do and if it makes you feel better that you think it's better for the environment. Then go for it.

Not everyone has the money for a new car and so the polo option may be unavoidable, different matter altogether.

Cost 'more to run' ? Well unless you have 20k under the bed, financing that is part of the cost 'to run' a car. Leaf's (Leaves ??) included. To remove the capital cost from TCO or running cost is disingenuous, to say the least. So add that back in, and then compare it to an ICE car at half the price, and the EV is no longer the cheapest.

The natural resources argument is just a straw argument. Unless EV's are made of paper maché (á la Trabant), and have batteries made from potatoes, then it's no shrinking violet when it comes to consuming rare-earth materials too: lithium, boron, alloys generally.....

The wind and solar argument is similary flawed. Neither of those will ever produce anything other than single-digit or low double-digit % of the grids requirements, and solar none at all at night..... :) ... to say that 'your' EV is charged by 'wind' and my tumble dryer on at the same time next door, on the same grid, isn't, is just playing with words & statistics. The fact of the matter is, say in winter, when we IMPORT energy from the UK grid, that both of our devices are using power generated by fission................

As for the air - well that too is manure, frankly. If Ireland banned cars tomorrow, it's international contribution to global CO2 production is so microscopic that it's effect would be impossible to measure, and the CO2 output of the globe would continue as-is. So why are we beating ourselves up about this ? Why can't we be honest and just admit that for this economy, for this topography and for this demographic, that fossil-fuel has a place ? Buy the best quality/most efficient car you can, use as little fuel as possible, by all means - but shoving it off a cliff in favour of another technology that isn't without it's own issues is just a form of denial. It's like say we MUST use solar and the Sahara must use Wave power, when neither of use patently have the ideal conditions for it.

The Leaf is currently the best affordable E.V available atm that's why I talk about it because what's the point creating a thread telling people to buy an electric car that is not available ? so in that sense I can see why you think I think the Leaf is superior, in many ways it is superior to many cars on the road.

The toys as you call them are great to have to be perfectly honest, and omitting them is not solving the real problem of battery costs. But it was necessary to bring costs down because a lot of people buy bog basic cars in Ireland so this won't matter anyway to many people only the cost to buy.

I don't know if the still high cost of the battery is down to contracts with NEC or if batteries have really not fallen in price.

I have no idea why you're even comparing the Leaf to a 250 hp ICE ? there is no comparing it power wise, you are nit picking just to find fault.

Why don't you compare your 250 hp car to the Tesla model S Sport ? the tesla would leave you standing, your 250 hp car might win in the top of the range speed wise, but the Tesla has the power where it's needed and well above legal limits, I see no reason to go further on a public road.

The Tesla range is 250-350 miles in real life conditions. (84 kwh battery) the Leaf has 24 with 21 usable.

There is no social benefit to me having a Leaf, I drove it and I really liked it, I love gadgets and technology so it would be a really good car for me, I also enjoy driving the CRV and the Prius.

I know the Leaf won't work for many but it will work for the majority, as I said there are not the incentives in going electric for Irish people as petrol and Diesel are still cheap for the low mileage driver.

The range would meet 95% of my driving within the 80 odd miles the Leaf is capable, there are more long journeys I can take with the new fast chargers and there are more coming soon meaning I can take even more journeys.

The Leaf would also save me a lot of money for that 95% over a car that costs the same, I could buy a Leaf in the U.K for 16,000 and sell the Prius and have to pay back 10-11 k not a huge amount of money for a car with 5-10K miles.
    I'm not sure I understand if you're saying you will or won't make it ? that's 90 odd miles in total and that's too far, you'll have to charge somewhere, have a word with your boss, company or see if you can charge at a Luas stop if you work in Dublin. Tell your boss you don't expect to charge for free and all you need is a 3 pin socket and get what's called the granny cable it's 10 amps and will work in a 13 amp extension fully extended of course and will give you enough charge for 90-120 miles a day. Charging outside might be different, you'd need at least one of those rcd protectors on the socket that you use for lawnmowers etc. don't quote me on that. But a proper 32 amp charger or evse would be best.

Yes that's true but it's unknown yet when you'll notice a loss of capacity and it will vary.

Simple golden rules of any lithium battery, charge to 80% and not run down below 30%, never leave charged at 100% for more than a few hours and if you need the range then use it.

Charging at work will greatly extend the life of your battery as you will reduce cycling. Ireland's climate is fairly kind to batteries as it's never too hot or cold.

The new Leaf has a more efficient heater the A/C is very efficient as in the Prius and the compressor is not on all the time. The 1st gen Leaf would always have a/c on when you wanted the fan on and this has been eliminated in the updated Leaf, now you can have the fan with 0 heat and 0 a/c and that suits me fine.

If you can charge at work you can have a decent amount of heat and a/c as you will have plenty of range. Without charging the Leaf wouldn't work for you with 90 miles a day in winter.
    Employer-subsidised fuel and infrastructure for the few, is that what you're promoting now ?
    Yes and in Norway the Leaf is the 5th best selling car so far in 2013 because there are so many incentives such as free parking, no congestion charge and they can use the bus lane.

I believe the Government could do a lot more such as 0 V.A.T for the first 10,000 E.V's, they would make a lot of money back by importing less fossil fuels for the power stations, charging from the wind energy and gas helping more money stay in the country. And they can use E.V's for storing surplus wind energy.

We need the E.U to have much higher taxes on Diesel and Diesel cars, and at the same time reduce costs of E.V's to balance that out, there are a lot that can be done.

Norway ? Don't make me laugh. I have family there, and one of the reasons why it's such a fantastic place to live, and one of the reasons they ripped out their oil fired central heating and replaced it with electric, is the abundance and low price of electricity. But the real reason is that all those measures, including the encouragement for EV's are a subsidised by an economy that is completely awash with cash from...........OIL !! Ironic, huh ?

And if the only thing you can think of to promote EV usage, is to force more of the general populace into fuel poverty by excising their only accessible fuel source into oblivion, then frankly, you're failing. If EV's cannot stand and succeed completely on their own merits, then they have no place other than that as a peripheral motoring curiosity. And that most assuredly should NOT be subsidised by non-EV users.

And this is what is annoying by the EV threads on here. Invariably it gets derailed by matters other than the subjective. Do they work ? Are they practical ? Are they affordable to buy ? Are they affordable to fuel/tax/insure ? Are they long-life durable ?

I'll be honest: I'm a petrol head. But i'd still like to try an EV. I can see some distinct advantages. But the balance is still skewed against them - for now.

Keeping the analogy of an actual balance, consider this: adding weight to the other side of the 'balance' - the fossil fuel side - is counterproductive. The answer is to remove weight from the EV side.

As Colin Chapman said: "add lightness" .......(or similar)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

The Electric cars will only become a serious option once the car do 300 km.

Even with the fast charging, it would be still a pain in the arse to have to stop every 70 miles to charge it up by 80%.

When they come with a 300+ range, then u will have a proper car, until then I feel there a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

The thought of spending €21k on a Nissan that isn't an older classic RWD super-duper thing saddens me....:o

It's easy to say of course but you could nearly have any car you want for that money. A cheap petrol car, LPG it and then have something fun for the weekends..

I also agree thoroughly with thecomedian above, until there's a decent range without the need to keep stopping and recharging then they're all but useless to a majority of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

The range is already there, but it costs a lot more than 20k.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Cost 'more to run' ? Well unless you have 20k under the bed, financing that is part of the cost 'to run' a car. Leaf's (Leaves ??) included. To remove the capital cost from TCO or running cost is disingenuous, to say the least. So add that back in, and then compare it to an ICE car at half the price, and the EV is no longer the cheapest.

The natural resources argument is just a straw argument. Unless EV's are made of paper maché (á la Trabant), and have batteries made from potatoes, then it's no shrinking violet when it comes to consuming rare-earth materials too: lithium, boron, alloys generally.....

The wind and solar argument is similary flawed. Neither of those will ever produce anything other than single-digit or low double-digit % of the grids requirements, and solar none at all at night..... :) ... to say that 'your' EV is charged by 'wind' and my tumble dryer on at the same time next door, on the same grid, isn't, is just playing with words & statistics. The fact of the matter is, say in winter, when we IMPORT energy from the UK grid, that both of our devices are using power generated by fission................

As for the air - well that too is manure, frankly. If Ireland banned cars tomorrow, it's international contribution to global CO2 production is so microscopic that it's effect would be impossible to measure, and the CO2 output of the globe would continue as-is. So why are we beating ourselves up about this ? Why can't we be honest and just admit that for this economy, for this topography and for this demographic, that fossil-fuel has a place ? Buy the best quality/most efficient car you can, use as little fuel as possible, by all means - but shoving it off a cliff in favour of another technology that isn't without it's own issues is just a form of denial. It's like say we MUST use solar and the Sahara must use Wave power, when neither of use patently have the ideal conditions for it.

Employer-subsidised fuel and infrastructure for the few, is that what you're promoting now ?

Norway ? Don't make me laugh. I have family there, and one of the reasons why it's such a fantastic place to live, and one of the reasons they ripped out their oil fired central heating and replaced it with electric, is the abundance and low price of electricity. But the real reason is that all those measures, including the encouragement for EV's are a subsidised by an economy that is completely awash with cash from...........OIL !! Ironic, huh ?

And if the only thing you can think of to promote EV usage, is to force more of the general populace into fuel poverty by excising their only accessible fuel source into oblivion, then frankly, you're failing. If EV's cannot stand and succeed completely on their own merits, then they have no place other than that as a peripheral motoring curiosity. And that most assuredly should NOT be subsidised by non-EV users.

And this is what is annoying by the EV threads on here. Invariably it gets derailed by matters other than the subjective. Do they work ? Are they practical ? Are they affordable to buy ? Are they affordable to fuel/tax/insure ? Are they long-life durable ?

I'll be honest: I'm a petrol head. But i'd still like to try an EV. I can see some distinct advantages. But the balance is still skewed against them - for now.

Keeping the analogy of an actual balance, consider this: adding weight to the other side of the 'balance' - the fossil fuel side - is counterproductive. The answer is to remove weight from the EV side.

As Colin Chapman said: "add lightness" .......(or similar)

Of course you're absolutely right,

Everyone reading this is really going to have to sit back and think twice.

I see the light now.

E.V's are rubbish.

ICE cars win hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What generates the electricity to power a Leaf?

If e.v's can charge faster I don't see the problem, we don't live in the outback of Australia.

;)

Still a backwards step. I can drive around the country from dublin to dublin via belfast donegal galway kerry and cork, without stopping to charge every 100 km or so.

I'd reckon even my 3.0d would surpass 1000km of range when driven at a constant 100-120 kph.

For something "new" to not match the existing product in terms of capability, it means it is not the answer.

It would be like me promoting a new type of VHS to compete with HD DVDs. Nonsensical.

What generates the electricity to power a Leaf?

mix or coal, gas wind, tiny bit solar.

You have the option of switching to eirtricity.

I believe in Thorium, L.F.T.R and they are investing heavily in it in other countries especially India. It will operate again, meanwhile Paddy will be left importing billions of euro's worth of fossil fuels.

E.V's are a lot more efficient and save fuel and emit 0 emissions in towns and cities.

In general storing electrical has been a problem and was always hard to do on a large scale.
    It's getting better but I would have thought buy now there would be a bigger increase.
    I'm probably wrong but I think it will be something different that will be the mainstream cars in future.

Still a backwards step. I can drive around the country from dublin to dublin via belfast donegal galway kerry and cork, without stopping to charge every 100 km or so.

I'd reckon even my 3.0d would surpass 1000km of range when driven at a constant 100-120 kph.

For something "new" to not match the existing product in terms of capability, it means it is not the answer.

It would be like me promoting a new type of VHS to compete with HD DVDs. Nonsensical.

I never said that E.V's are for everyone but for most people they are fine,

I never go to Belfast, once maybe every 5 years or so, Donegal ? maybe the same.

For those trips I'd most likely load up the CRV anyway, if they install more fast chargers then maybe I wouldn't. I wouldn't mind the CRV once or twice a year, or borrow my mother/Auntie/sis car.

In general storing electrical has been a problem and was always hard to do on a large scale.
    It's getting better but I would have thought buy now there would be a bigger increase.
    I'm probably wrong but I think it will be something different that will be the mainstream cars in future.

Lithium Air will power the cars in the next decade. And has the potential to store as much energy and actually more than petrol, (theoretically)

Unless there is a major nuclear renascence, hydrogen will never be, and to be honest that's not a bad thing because then we'll pay the same as petrol and diesel with all the tax. And if batteries are good enough hydrogen will not be.

Electric cars can store energy for the grid and the used batteries can also be used creating a lot of jobs in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

All this talk of the electric car range not being long enough yet if you look at mobile phone development,

its amazing that everybody has switched from a simple Nokia phone that needs to be charged once in ten days to a smart phone that needs to be re charged twice a day,

so get real lads its all about the charging points not the range for that 4 times a year trip.

As I said before, the mechanical and electronic complexity of Internal combustion vehicles will be their downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

If we are going to question the source of the electricity that powers EVs, then we should also be comparing that with the source of petrol/diesel; i.e. from oil well to fuel tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Bigus wrote: »
    All this talk of the electric car range not being long enough yet if you look at mobile phone development,

its amazing that everybody has switched from a simple Nokia phone that needs to be charged once in ten days to a smart phone that needs to be re charged twice a day,

so get real lads its all about the charging points not the range for that 4 times a year trip.

As I said before, the mechanical and electronic complexity of Internal combustion vehicles will be their downfall.

But a mobile phone is now a powerful computer in your pocket, where a Leaf is still just a car. And if your mobile phone runs out of juice you're not left stranded at the side of the road. And you can still use your phone while it's charging.

Terrible analogy.

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »

U can't compare the two!

Cars need a longer range, once electrical cars have that then they will be popular and worth it.

Advertisement