Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Unwilling to remove cats/rubbish post eviction

• 29-06-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I just have a quick question which I hope someone can help me out with.

A tenant had to be evicted from a house belonging to me as he was causing some major hassle. However since he has moved he has not removed 15 cats from the property and is unwilling to do so. I have tried everything, gone to the cops, solicitors letters etc. To make matters worse he has also left a load of metal rubbish, animal furs/bodies and a load of other filthy shxxit around the place. He still comes to feed the cats on my property and I just don't know what to do. There was a history with this tenant but he is totally taken advantage of the situation and I find the cops so unhelpful.

I would appreciate any help that a you may have.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

DaBisc wrote: »
    Hi,

I just have a quick question which I hope someone can help me out with.

A tenant had to be evicted from a house belonging to me as he was causing some major hassle. However since he has moved he has not removed 15 cats from the property and is unwilling to do so. I have tried everything, gone to the cops, solicitors letters etc. To make
    matters worse he has also left a load of metal rubbish, animal furs/bodies and a load of other filthy shxxit around the place. He still comes to feed the cats on my property and I just don't know what to do. There was a history with this tenant but he is totally taken advantage of the situation and I find the cops so unhelpful.

I would appreciate any help that a you may have.

Thanks.

Ispca for the cats and that will get rid of the nutter if he has no cats to feed.

Hire a skip and buy yourself a pair a pair of gloves I would think is the solution to the other problem with all the rubbish.

Would the metal be worth anything for scrap it might offset some of your costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Would the ISPCA take them off you?

If not then I'd be giving them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Call the animal pound (or whatever its called) and ask can they remove the stray cats from your property.

Have your former tenant arrested for trespassing on your property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Sell the scrap metal

Sell the furs

Call the ispca for the cats and say they're strays and won't leave your property

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roisenimhur

best option is to ask the ispca to remove the cats from your property, would it be possible for you to seek some sort of an order against this previous tenant to stay away from the house? ASBO or the likes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Set the litter warden on the ex-tenant, explaining the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DaBisc

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies (its my first time posting something on Boards so I wasn't too sure of the response), its great so far and thanks.

I have called the ISPCA and they are unwilling to help. They outlined that they would take the cats but I have to catch them, all the cats are inter breed and they are just a pain now. Any ideas on how I might be able to catch them as I have been told that they are extremely dangerous should they scrap or bite me.

I agree with the previous post that a skip will sort out the rubbish and that I might be able to re-coup some of the cost via scrap metal. This will be done.

I have spoken to the gardai and they are unwilling to do anything, they have said that they need to catch him in the act, even though he has been witnessed by neighbours of the same. Supposedly he dumps the food waste at like 3 in the morning but I have visited the site and it seems to be very irregular, as fresh food waste is there a different times of the day - its actually distgusting. The gardai actually rang him while I was in the station and he hung up the phone on them...I found this astonishing. The gardai are saying that I is a civil matter but surely they can enforce some law some way?

Basically is there any easy way to catch wild cats? As per a previous post , you could not give them away as they are wild, and as per ISPCA could possible have 35 transferable diseases towards humans. Possibly someone might say cant you bring them to a vet, however I really don't see why it is my responsibility to be paying out further costs on animals when they are not mine.

I do need to get rid of the cats, solicitors letters have outlined if they are not removed that they will be removed by other means. I just need to figure out how to go about this without causing harm to myself or other in the process.

Cheers for the comments so far...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Borrow a big dog for a few days...
    Or get Tiger/Lion poo from the zoo and lay it around the property...

whereabouts is the property. a call to a local cats home might help.

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/irelandl.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

There are a number of charities / organisations that can be of help in trapping the cats so you can bring them to the ISPCA :

http://catsfriendsrescue.com/feral-cats/trap-neuter-return-tnr/

http://www.dspca.ie/FeralCats

https://www.facebook.com/CatsFriendsRescueFeralCatsAndTnr

hope this helps, good luck with your problems. (too bad you can't put out a trap for your tenant :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ok everybody I have taken on board what has been said and will try to trap the cats next week and bring them to my local shelter. I imagine that they will be put down a they are severely f@@ked up due t near breeding...hopefully some cat food and a big cage will do the trick.

Re. the tenant he is a total @rsehole, nothing but trouble....

Many thanks everybody, perhaps have a look back in a few days to see an up date, at the moment I reckon operation 'cat nap' will go ahead Wednesday morning....

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

make sure to keep full record of every cost incurred by you in the process, so you can take him to small claims court to recover them.

Don't sell them.!!!!
    Do you know how many cats are used as bait when given away or sold cheaply.
    If there not given to a shelter and adopted out ?????
    Think.
    They're basically feral cats, they won't be house trained and they will likely be aggressive and likely territorial.

If that's the case then the reality is they will all need to be neutered, vaccinated and chipped.

Realistically they won't be a suitable house pet and either which way will end up being put down which is probably best for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

make sure to keep full record of every cost incurred by you in the process, so you can take him to small claims court to recover them.
    Good luck with that!

I'd say the ratio of people on here who recommend the SCC, compared to those who actually know what the SCC does, would be be funny to investigate.

Some people give the impression that they may actually think Judge Judy runs it...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

Cut your losses. First get in a skip and clean the place out. Two. Sort out the cats one way or another and stop trying to use charities to do your work. You are running a business and treat it like such. What has your solicitor told you? Surely you can get a court order barring him from the property. If he breaches the order it is then a job for the Gardaí.
    However I get the feeling that you want the Gardaí and the animal charities to do the dirty work for you

Citycap wrote: »
    However I get the feeling that you want the Gardaí and the animal charities to do the dirty work for you
    Didn't read that way to me.

Chill pill?

;)

Hey City cheers for that, I wish I was running a business its just I'm tying up loose ends is all, I'm not in the whole property/rental game at all. I don't have to explain my personal situation, I was only seeking advice on aforementioned particulars that I'm faced with. I'm sure it would be a lot easier if I was involved in this as a business as I wouldn't be such a novice...thanks all he same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Something as simple and harmless as a good strong water pistol might help with the cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Open the front/back door and run the cats out of the place? With a broom if needs be. Change the locks, close the door and you are done. Or am I missing something more obvious?? They are just inbred feral bloody cats.

Whats the ar@ehole ex-tenant going to do then? You will have to clean up your gaff unfortunately and probably paint walls and replace carpets/furniture and I really pity you for that. Cats marking their territory, sh!t, piss, food etc is not going to be pleasant at all. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hopefully some cat food and a big cage will do the trick.
    You need to do this properly. No more stupid or half-baked suggestions.
    bumper234 wrote: »
    Bit of advice op. It will cost you but head to hardware store and get some welders gloves these a4e good and thick and if you grab cat they wont be able to bite or scratch through them. Wear a scarf and best to try get hard hat with built in ear and face covers (again from hardware store) also look into getting a decent sized net on a pole. Ask friends to help cos think this is gonna take a few days to get them all. Make sure you have no exposed skin and you should be ok. Please get a friend to film this and post on youtube for us :D
    Constructive posts only please.

Any more inappropriate comments will be getting infractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Change all the locks. Move back in. Or get someone to rent that loves cats.

Are the cats inside if so the repair costs will be huge( new floors, fittings, furniture, plaster/walls and so on)

I was going to say get a rocking chair sit on the porch with a shotg~~ but may not go well with some...

Best of luck op.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I'd put the lot in a Skippo bag and deliver it to the guys new address. And no, I'm not being facetious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Rentokil will trap and remove cats. Not cheap, but tax deductible and humane.

Ok,

Considering a user has got 3 day ban I would just like to say I think I have enough information to proceed with the removal. Thanks for all your comments, and I would just like to emphasise that I am an animal person so I will ensure they are dealt with in a humane manner.

Many thanks again

Ok,

Considering a user has got 3 day ban I would just like to say I think I have enough information to proceed with the removal. Thanks for all your comments, and I would just like to emphasise that I am an animal person so I will ensure they are dealt with in a humane manner.

Many thanks again

Hey, you didn't earn anyone a ban! Best of luck with the moggies/dikchead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'll leave this open- you can let us know what you decided on- and how it goes for you. Perhaps it may help someone in a similar situation in future.

I'm going to tidy up some of the mess here.

Shane

Advertisement