Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC alternative to Mac Mini?

Options
  • 29-06-2013 12:41pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a projector which currently i run off a laptop but I'd rather not bother having to open it up etc, I'd prefer to have a very small pc with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Someone suggested a mac mini but I'm not an OSX fan I'd rather windows 7 etc.

Want to keep the budget down (I'll prob buy second hand) but I want something fairly fast. All I will really use it for us playing movies and surfing the web.

I'm not really sure where to start looking but does anyone know a reputable windows alternative to a mac mini?

Comments

Intel NUC, Gigabyte Brix, Zotac Zbox.

Alternatively you could build something using a mini-ITX or thin-ITX motherboard. Lots of cases that are similarly styled to a Mac Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you head on over to the building forum a few of the lads could spec you one

Just start a new thread with this filled out:
    1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Be worth considering. Dunno what your budget is but I'd imagine they could spec something in the 250-400 range.

Advertisement