Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldhausen black pudding sighting

Options
  • 29-06-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

I know Oldhausen has been closed a good while now but there has been sightings of Oldhausen sausage in Dunnes a couple weeks ago which is surprising. Black Pudding wasnt there though which is a pity because i dont like any other brand and have tasted plenty other since in search of something similar.
    Has someone taken up the Oldhausen franchise i wonder?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's a thread about it here and post #8 has a link to a newspaper article about the Olhausens brand having been bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Have you tried Rudd's Black pudding? It's good stuff, not as packed with grain compared to other brands. Their entire range is the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

The Olhausen name has been bought by Mallons, Mallons are making the sausages but I am not sure who is making the puddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

fobster wrote: »
    Have you tried Rudd's Black pudding? It's good stuff, not as packed with grain compared to other brands. Their entire range is the business.
    Yeah ive tried Rudd's and its one of the better ones ive had in the search but for me i wouldnt like it enough to buy it again. You hit the nail in the head with the less grain thats whats to be aimed for. Everyone things more grain and over the top sage like flavours is the key but thats the biggest turn off for me. The grain is like a sponge for picking up the cooking oil and thats terrible!. The Oldhausen has virtually no grain and when done its bone dry almost cauterized look off it!
    babygirlz wrote: »
    The Olhausen name has been bought by Mallons, Mallons are making the sausages but I am not sure who is making the puddings.
    Thats the thing, Even though Mallons took over the brand i dont believe they have picked up the black pudding production or anyone else. I emailed them over the weekend to ask would they!. Waiting a response. I read Larry Goodman bought the actual factory machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

• Advertisement

I agree with the sentiment of one comment in that link

"What about the puddings?"

I've finally hit on something dare i say almost identically matches Olhausen black pudding!.
    Hodgins gluten free black pudding. Its like they stole the recipe!. The key is it doesn't have bread crumbs and oatmeal so it doesn't take on oil and is dry to the finish. Oh the flavour!, the flavour is the same as i remember Olhausen!.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

califano wrote: »
    I've finally hit on something dare i say almost identically matches Olhausen black pudding!.
    Hodgins gluten free black pudding. Its like they stole the recipe!. The key is it doesn't have bread crumbs and oatmeal so it doesn't take on oil and is dry to the finish. Oh the flavour!, the flavour is the same as i remember Olhausen!.

That was a long but hopefully rewarding wait!

These guys have high meat content:

http://www.annascaulblackpudding.com/product/annascaul-black-pudding/

Theres also a guy at the grande parade entrance to the english market that does a very meaty wide circumference black pudding (its that same brownish red colour) which is good for serving as a starter. Cant remember his name unfortunately.

That was a long but hopefully rewarding wait!

These guys have high meat content:

http://www.annascaulblackpudding.com/product/annascaul-black-pudding/

Theres also a guy at the grande parade entrance to the english market that does a very meaty wide circumference black pudding (its that same brownish red colour) which is good for serving as a starter. Cant remember his name unfortunately.

Thanks for the tips, always trying new ones. Their website says they have 2 places in Dublin that sell it so must try in one of these.
    O’Shea’s Merchant, Lower Bridge Street, Dublin
    Cinnamon, Ranelagh. Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That'd be McCarthy's from Kanturk.
    It should be available is select delis and butchers nationwide.
    Very good pudding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Even though its in the indo, this might actually be true:

http://m.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/black-pudding-is-2016s-most-unlikely-new-superfood-34340186.html

Black Pudding named as a superfood. Of course, the whole superfood thing is ridicukous anyway, but still!

Advertisement