Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Co. Meath?

Options
  • 29-06-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm looking for some feedback from people living in the following areas: Drumree, Dunsany, Kiltale & Summerhill. My husband and I along with our 3 small children (& dog!) are currently living in a housing estate in Ratoath. We love the area but really want a house with lots of space in the countryside so we are looking for a place in the aforementioned areas. I'd love to hear from anyone that's made a similar move to these areas and how they find the area? Are there schools? Is there a good sense of community? What are the advantages/disadvantages? All comments welcome and Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

GMcFitz wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for some feedback from people living in the following areas: Drumree, Dunsany, Kiltale & Summerhill. My husband and I along with our 3 small children (& dog!) are currently living in a housing estate in Ratoath. We love the area but really want a house with lots of space in the countryside so we are looking for a place in the aforementioned areas. I'd love to hear from anyone that's made a similar move to these areas and how they find the area? Are there schools? Is there a good sense of community? What are the advantages/disadvantages? All comments welcome and Thanks in advance!

The advantages are lots of space, away from the hustle and bustle.
    Schools should be smaller

disadvantages are you will need a car to get anywhere
    possible lack of good amenties like broadband\sky\water mains\gas mains
    so it could be oil only and a septic tank

You could be more cut off in bad winters

roads could be worse

Could be isolated with the kids not having local friends close

Schools could be snobbish about not being originally from there
    If the kids dont like the school, your choice is smaller unless you travel further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Robinstown and Dunderry are good rural spots as well with great primary schools. There are housing estates there so at least your kids wouldn't feel isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Alan T Corcoran

Hi

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread , my family and I ( 2 kids , 3rd on the way !) are looking at moving to meath possibly Athboy , Trim or Ballivor , have you any knowledge on these areas or where did you decide to live and how did you find the settling in ???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

main disadvantages:

poor roads
    lack of general services/shops/employment
    poor broadband or just plain old dial-up
    small communities/isolation
    severe lack of public transport or none at all
    lack of fun/excitement
    snobbery (being called a 'blow-in to the area')
    difficult for kids to make friends and something to do

main advantages:
    clean air
    less scumbags
    quietness
    country-life (if your in to that type of living)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Main disadvantage is you need to go to Bus Aras if you ever need to get a bus home, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

Gonzo wrote: »
    main disadvantages:

poor roads
    lack of general services/shops/employment
    poor broadband or just plain old dial-up
    small communities/isolation
    severe lack of public transport or none at all
    lack of fun/excitement
    snobbery (being called a 'blow-in to the area')
    difficult for kids to make friends and something to do

main advantages:
    clean air
    less scumbags
    quietness
    country-life (if your in to that type of living)
    Completely disagree with the above
    have lived in Summerhill for 2 years
    great village. very welcoming people even to a dub like me.
    I've had 20mb broadband for a year now, plenty of fun/excitement in the 2 bars in the village and 2 large local shops (centra & londis) along with a petrol station, chinese takeaway, chipper, chemist etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Main disadvantage is you need to go to Bus Aras if you ever need to get a bus home, apparently.

How is that a disadvantage?

Advertisement