Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick kitten

• 29-06-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone just looking for a bit of advice, Dude has been kinda off form for the last few days, not finishing his food where normally the bowl is clean in the morning, and having soft poos. Today though he went in the litter tray and it was pure liquid, jumped straight out and puked. Poor thing was terrified, it was his first time puking! Of course this all has to happen an hour after the vets close so we won't be able to bring him in till Monday! So for the moment I'm thinking I should starve him and just make sure he drinks loads, as we can't get any tins of ID or anything like that. Just wondering what do people think, should I keep him separated from my other 2 cats until I can get him seen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I'm no vet, but I suppose the best thing to do is withdraw his meals for 24hrs, give him plenty of water, and then boiled rice/chicken the next day to help bind him, his digestive system needs a break, probably ate something dodgy in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We had a young cat years ago that developed a very sensitive tummy, food would just go straight through him. It was long before special prescription foods and the vet put him on a diet of boiled white fish and rice. Sorted the problem out but he had to stay on it permanently. Hope he's feeling well soon. He may probably just ate something iffy outdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I don't think its anything from outside as he hasn't been out in several days now, and anytime he is outside he is supervised by me and he never eats anything. It seems to me to be more of a 'sick' type of thing than an 'eaten something iffy' kind of thing of you know what I mean? Like I can usually tell if he's been at the adult cat food by the quality in the litter tray but he's never had anything like this before, poor bugger :( I've had to put sudocrem on his bum as he is so sore from it!

At least Dude couldn't be in better hands:)

Thanks pumpkinseeds :) The poor little mite is snuggled up under my chin shivering. I feel so sorry for him :( Hopefully it will just be a 24 hour bug type thing. I'm going to try feed him a little rice this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

if its any consolation my boyo had something similar this week but he seems ok now again but hes 3 yo seemed like a 48h thing also quite shivery and clingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Thanks pumpkinseeds :) The poor little mite is snuggled up under my chin shivering. I feel so sorry for him :( Hopefully it will just be a 24 hour bug type thing. I'm going to try feed him a little rice this evening!

There could be something going about SMX, my own fellow was sick yesterday, right as rain today. Hopefully he feels better soon.

Thanks for the reassurances guys, still no better tonight so I've left him into the crate for the night so he will be nice and cosy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Ah bless, hope all's ok in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Have you taken his temperature?

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    Have you taken his temperature?

Yeah I did I can't remember the exact number at the moment but it was slightly high :(

He seems to be doing a bit better this morning, he's still not eating anything at all but there's been no more puke or runs. And he's much perkier, mad to get out and play but I think another days rest indoors will be in order! He's still drinking tons so at least I don't have to worry about dehydration. I can't help but worry about my little man, it's his first time ever having anything wrong :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

that sounds pretty much the same as my guy very down for 24 hours then picked up but would not eat

but more back to his usual antics then 24 hours later all was well and eating fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Sorry to hear the little fella is unwell. I love following his adventures and of course his really cute photographs. Hope he is doing better now and will be back to his usual form soon.

Thought we were doing a little better, he ate the tiniest chunk of chicken for me, but 10 minutes late all the same story as yesterday, pure liquid bowel movement and puking again :( my poor baby :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Thought we were doing a little better, he ate the tiniest chunk of chicken for me, but 10 minutes late all the same story as yesterday, pure liquid bowel movement and puking again :( my poor baby :(

My little girl had that when she was about 6 months old. I was petrified seeing her ill but it thankfully only lasted 2 days. I did feed her the special tinned food by hills for a few weeks to get her back on her feet.

Hopefully dude will be ok very soon, and that this bug leaves his system asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sounds like a 24/48 hour bug to me. Mine used to get them. All I'd do would be to starve for a day, then give them white rice and boiled fish for the next couple of days, then a bit of chicken. Nine times out of 10, I wouldn't even need the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw poor Dude :( Is he drinking any water for you? If he's no better by tuesday morning then head to the vets, but if he's still bright and alert and you can keep him hydrated fingers crossed he should be ok. Dehydration from vomiting and diarrhoea is your biggest potential problem, but sure you know that ;)

Yeah he's still drinking, but not enough to replace fluid losses so I've been syringing water into him to make sure he doesn't go too bad! He is slightly dehydrated, very slight skin tent and his gums are sticky but his eyes are still okay so he's not in need of a drip or anything yet.
    I rang the emergency vet line a few hours ago as I was so worried about him, but they said to keep him fasted and bring him in the morning if he's no better to get some stuff to stop the diarrhoea and some of the ID food! It's just so hard seeing him like this, he keeps looking like he wants to get up to mischief like he will start stalking Cream, then he'll just sigh and lie down!!

I starved him all yesterday so said I would try him with the tiniest bit of boiled rice and chicken this afternoon but he brought it all up (and down) straight away. So he's been fasted for more than 48 hours now (refused anything I offered) as well as not eating properly for the last 3 days before this bad episode started. This is the annoying thing about having done veterinary nursing, I know what I should be giving him and stuff but don't actually have the capability of getting the medications! Like I would love to give him something to take down his temp and a painkiller but I can't.

Anyway ignore the rantings of a worried cat mother :P I'll update tomorrow to say how he get on in the vets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Chicken might be too rich for him. Have you tried Dude with a bit of white fish? Hope he's fighting fit very soon...

• Advertisement

Yeah he had some fish the day before the vomiting started as he's been not eating well all week but he refused that too, he got a choice of seabass and whiting and refused both! Peach and Cream were delighted to get his leftovers though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Anyway ignore the rantings of a worried cat mother
    Ah stop, sure I'd be the same if it was into the 24hr+ stage. It's a fine line between worrying if it's just a little bug or something more serious. The fact you know what you're looking for with regards to dehydration (skin tenting and tackiness of mucous membranes) is a brilliant thing though.

He couldn't be in better hands ;)

As a special treat tonight he gets to sleep in my bed :) so at least if he's sick during the night ill be able to comfort him (i know it sounds rediculous!) even though he's been out of energy all day it still doesn't stop the game of chasing the feet under the duvet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Hope everything goes well for the little guy at the vets today.

More vomiting and runs this morning :( have an appointment for 3.30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

More vomiting and runs this morning :( have an appointment for 3.30!

Sounds like the symptoms our cat Ben had before. Brought him to 3 vets and they all thought it was some kidney issue but it turned out he had eaten one of my girlfriends swatches (made of wool) for college. It had tangled up in his gut.
    The vets figured it out too late and sadly Ben had to be put to sleep.
    Hopefully it's nothing like that but it might not be any harm and checking it.

I'm worried that he may have eaten something too, he has a habit of chewing on things and although he is rarely ever out of my sight you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm worried that he may have eaten something too, he has a habit of chewing on things and although he is rarely ever out of my sight you never know!

Ben was the same but we never thought of that at all. Hopefully it's not that.

Hope all goes well for Dude today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Poor baby, hope all goes well today too.

Advertisement