Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIC Records

• 29-06-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

What do all the numbers mean? ie. 38074D over 5810 or 19307.

Under Punishments a note "see file" + 31090D over 12071?

Also, a note "Pension subsequently cancelled by Treasury" - would there be any further paperwork on this?

Resigned "to emigrate" - were the reasons for resigning usually truthful? I haven't been able to locate any travel record yet.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭p15574

If the resignation was around June-Dec 1920, then it could well have been untruthful, constables were leaving in droves, encouraged by the IRA after the Listowel mutiny.

The numbers might be the ids of their senior officers, or officers dealing with the punishments.

I'm no expert, but I doubt if there's any further paperwork available. Again, if the resignation was around 1920, it could be that the person qualified for a pension, and was later granted one by the Free State instead (a lot of resigned RIC got them, I believe), at which point the UK stopped paying their one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm as baffled as you are, but any chance the number might relate to days served in the force? If there was a punishment then there might be an alteration to the number of days and then an alteration to the amount of pension due at the end of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Looking at this record http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Cashel/Bitmaps/ric.crop.jpg
    all the numbers are just file numbers.

Re pension records there's a section here- http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/royal-irish-constabulary.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Sorry for delay in thanking you for the replies.
    The resignation of the RIC one to emigrate was in 1855 so no chance of getting any further info on that one.
    The one with the cancelled pension resigned c1895 so might be able to get something on him. Thanks

Advertisement