Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters or Higher Diploma Help!

Options
  • 29-06-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi :)
    Just looking for some help/advice/information on the following, I have been offered a Masters in Marketing in Smurfit UCD but I have also applied for a Higher Dip in Accounting and Finance in UCC, I have done an Arts Degree, in Business and English, but I don't know what to do now?....Should I do the Masters or would I be better with the Hdip in Accounting as there always seems to be jobs in accounting? Would the MA be a waste of money in the end? Any thoughts? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyboy

Hi MBOS911

I completed the H Dip in Accounting + Corporate Finance in UCC recently. Afaik the whole class found employment in accountancy firms or are doing various masters.

Regarding choice of course that all depends on what career you want to follow.

Mickyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MBOS911

mickyboy wrote: »
    Hi MBOS911

I completed the H Dip in Accounting + Corporate Finance in UCC recently. Afaik the whole class found employment in accountancy firms or are doing various masters.

Regarding choice of course that all depends on what career you want to follow.

Mickyboy

Hi :) Thanks for getting back to me and your reply! Just wondering was the course very hard, and is a good knowledge of accounting needed? I have only done the bare minimum at Junior Cert level even! So I'm slightly worried I would be lost!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyboy

The H Dip is a conversion course. I was coming from a science background and had never studied accounting before at any level. The course covers a lot of material but is very achievable. It is presumed that students enrolling in the course have no accounting background so begins with the basics.

Probably the most important aspect is that you get exemptions from CAP1 round of professional accounting exams form the Chartered Accountants of Ireland which is an advantage in job hunting. You have to do the Law for Accountancy exam outside of college which lecturers will inform you about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MBOS911

Ok thanks! :) And are you going to do the CAP2 exams or will you continue as you are with just the CAP1 exemption? And more importantly is it easy to find jobs in accounting? Like does the course set you up for the office?....Sorry again for all the questions, it's just I feel like I'm in crossroads as to what to do!?!

Advertisement