Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pregnancy and work

• 29-06-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭

HiI'm 30 weeks pregnant and have only 8 weeks left before my maternity leave. Since 14 weeks I've had problems with varicose veins and tried to deal with it sorts of ways including buying very expensive maternity tights.My job involves late nights and I'm on my feet most of the day which I'm finding unbearable lately. I had my checkup this week and my doctor was not happy with my legs. I'm the only one working and she knows i can't afford to get signed off,so she wrote me a letter saying I can't do late shifts and need more rest breaks.I am terrified of giving it to my employer in case they come up with some excuse and I'll be forced out. Never mind the fact that I still get twice as much done heavily pregnant than others there. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I'd post in the work and jobs forum rather than here tbh - not meaning to backseat mod. This forum is more for legal discussion in the abstract and legal advice can not be given. TBH it doesn't seem like you need legal advice just some advice on tackling your employer that leads me back to my original recommendation.

Some resources that might be of use:

www.flac.ie
    http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is very difficult to fire someone who is pregnant.
    iPearly wrote: »
    HiI'm 30 weeks pregnant and have only 8 weeks left before my maternity leave.
    Aren't you meant to take maternity leave before then?

You may be entitled to Health and Safety leave and the associated benefits. http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Workplace_Health/Sensitive_Risk_Groups/Pregnant_at_Work_FAQ_Responses/Pregnant_at_Work_FAQ_Responses.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »
    Aren't you meant to take maternity leave before then?

The midwives/doctors count 40 weeks as full term, starts from start if last period

Maternity leave can start from as little as 2 weeks before expected due date

I'm not sure what the upper limit on pre Edd leave is, maybe 10 weeks

Back when maternity leave was 14 weeks, a woman had to take 4 weeks before edd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I took maternity leave at 30 Weeks for the same reasons. You doctor can ask for light duties and if they cannot be found then maybe h&s leave is your only option.

Advertisement