Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin v Kilkenny on RTEwebsite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Back to the revolution years. It's like 1994 - 1998 all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Great result for Dublin, I really thought KK would bounce back but Dublin were really up for it, played with great skill too. Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

When do Kilkenny now play Tipp, is it next weekend.??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Wow. What a result. Who said the hurling championship wasn't competitive? ;)

Clareman wrote: »
    Well done Dublin, I'd be interested to know the last time Kilkenny were beaten in a replay.

1985 Leinster Semi Final. Offaly beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Fair play to Dublin they deserved their win, now its going to be a tough gamr for us against Tipp hopefully we can win that one but its going to be close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Tssk wrote: »
    KK are never bate til theyre on the bus out the gate!

This KK team don't appear to have that about them, they were well beat today by a middling to average Dublin side who had lots of desire but missed a rake of chances themselves. End of an era perhaps? Time for Cody to move on? looks like it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

That's some result- there felt like an air of inevitability about this game due to KK's record in replays and teams inability to catch them on the hop twice.

It's a great result for the game of hurling to be honest- biggest shock of the last 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Munster final has two teams who play div 1b next year, while Leinster has one from this year. Maybe the gap in standards is not as big as people make out.
    Well done to the dubs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Historic result, well done Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Clareman wrote: »
    Well done Dublin, I'd be interested to know the last time Kilkenny were beaten in a replay.

1985 I believe.

One of Tipp/KK will be out mid July!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Lennonist wrote: »
    This KK team don't appear to have that about them, they were well beat today by a middling to average Dublin side who had lots of desire but missed a rake of chances themselves. End of an era perhaps? Time for Cody to move on? looks like it to me.

Cody to move on?? are you mad, the amount he's after doing for this team is unreal he's the Alex Ferguson of hurling. a few bad games doesn't merit his dismissal at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Wow, 6 All-Ireland's in the last 7 years, but you're right, get rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Said it before and I'll say it again, without Shefflin, KK look mortal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

One of Tipp/KK will be out mid July!

Hopefully KK.

Probably not though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Fully deserved win by Dublin and a great result not only for them but for hurling in general. Hopefully the Dubs can go on now and win the Leinster final.
    Can't see Kilkenny getting past Tipp next week, and beyond that there's really not a lot between Tipp, Limerick, Dublin, Galway and Cork. It's as open as I've seen it for years. Maybe Limerick to just shade it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

THFC wrote: »
    Wow, 6 All-Ireland's in the last 7 years, but you're right, get rid of him.

I didn't say he should be sacked. However everything comes to an end sometime. Kilkenny well beaten by a hard working but average enough Dublin side today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Duiske wrote: »
    Fully deserved win by Dublin and a great result not only for them but for hurling in general. Hopefully the Dubs can go on now and win the Leinster final.
    Can't see Kilkenny getting past Tipp next week, and beyond that there's really not a lot between Tipp, Limerick, Dublin, Galway and Cork. It's as open as I've seen it for years. Maybe Limerick to just shade it.

i'll frame this post if your prediction comes true..:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Show's the impact King Henry has to the Kilkenny team, there'll be some match in the Qualifers now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Wow, thats some result for Dublin. Didn't expect them to do it in a replay, you normally only get one chance when playing KK.

Thats will be some qualifier match with Tipp. When is that on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Its shocking how hurling always plays second fiddle on RTE to that abomination of a game that is pulling and dragging ball. Our greatest indigenous sport, which is arguably one of the greatest in the world, should be prime tv viewing, instead we get Cavan v Monaghan. Would have loved to watch this game today, well done Dublin, great victory. Kilkenny will be back though, maybe not this year, soon though. And congrats too to my home county of Carlow for running Wexford so close in the qualifiers, getting better every year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Never thought I'd see that in The Championship, especially after a replay. Delighted for the team, just hope that there is still something in the tank for the final. First time a proper Dublin team has beaten Kilkenny in The Championship really, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Congrats to the Dub's. The two powerhouses meet now in a Round 2 qualifier. :eek:

It's been a funny year, I think KK will get through, it's hard to know with Tipp sometimes, they can turn on the class or look very ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Wow, thats some result for Dublin. Didn't expect them to do it in a replay, you normally only get one chance when playing KK.

Thats will be some qualifier match with Tipp. When is that on?

Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Delighted for the Dub hurlers! Wish I put a few quid on them in the bookies

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Well Done the Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Wooo-hoo! well done Dublin GREAT win

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Well done Dubs.

Looks like the Cody juggernaut has finally lost a bit of momentum. That's 4 championship matches in the past 12 months that they have failed to win. Probably as many as that in the preceding decade? Tough ask to turn this around after 6 days. Leinster final will be a cracker too.

Aaaaahhhhh heooorree JAAYYSSUUSS!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

great day for hurling

• Advertisement

Said it before and I'll say it again, without Shefflin, KK look mortal.

I think Mick Fennelly is certainly a huge huge loss (literally). A bigger loss than Shefflin in my opinion not saying Shefflin isnt a loss now or anything

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Back to the revolution years. It's like 1994 - 1998 all over again.

Early doors yet steady on.

Leinster final next Sunday - will be five successive weekends hurling for Dublin. Will that have an impact?

Leinster final next Sunday - will be five successive weekends hurling for Dublin. Will that have an impact?

Yeah, but it doesn't matter when you're playing Galway. They'll either be in the sort of form that no one can live with, or they'll be so disappointing that the Dubs could beat them this evening after half an orange, a cuppa tae and a few words from Dalo.

Surely there is no way KK can beat Tipp in just 6 days

That seems like a logical conclusion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

KK v Tipp in the qualifiers. RTE better get the finger out and broadcast that one properly. That was a disgraceful production by RTE.

Well done to the Dubs, there'll be no All Ireland or this Kilkenny team this year, up for grabs now.

Ah well now, it won't be RTE broadcasting it, TV3 have the rights to it!

It should help them if anything. Games and experience bring teams on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Absolutely delighted. Watched it on a stream on the rte website. My brother went there, absolutely jealous of him. Now for a few social beers :D:D:D

COYBIB :):)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kilkenny were not on top form tonight, but they were made look poor by impressive Dublin tactics. I'm surprised at KK, Dublin pulling men back in a blanket sort of defense, and KK not being able to work through it. First thing was to stop KK getting goals, which Dublin did. Dublin just seemed to be that bit sharper, being able to win the breaks - KK played a lot of crossfield balls, which Dublin could read. Its a match I'd like to be able to see again, and watch in a bit more detail stats wise, think there could be some very interesting ones there.

Lot of hype on the media about the championship being blown wide open - that was done already by Limerick in beating Tipp, Kilkenny are still there, one defeat doesn't make a summer, same applies for Dublin. It will depend on which Galway team turn up for the Leinster final, it will be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

KK are obviously over the hill. I don't see them taking Tipp next week. Which is unfortunate for two reasons - 1) I'm from KK, and 2) I live in Tipp.

You can talk about missing key players, and that's fine, and sure Rice and Reid are rusty after coming back from very serious injuries, and of course some incredible players have retired over the last year or two.

But the reality is that key remaining guys are burnt out. JJ is out of position anyway and on the wrong side of thirty, as is Jackie, Tommy, Brian Hogan, Taggy. How to quantify the amount of hurling they have clocked up ?

It is doubtful if we will ever see a team to come close to their collective greatness. I don't think the newer crop are of the same calibre, but that's no disgrace. We'll be there or thereabouts as we generally have been through the years.

No harm if it gets spread around a bit for a few years.

Congrats to Dublin, by the way !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

KK are obviously over the hill. I don't see them taking Tipp next week. Which is unfortunate for two reasons - 1) I'm from KK, and 2) I live in Tipp.

You can talk about missing key players, and that's fine, and sure Rice and Reid are rusty after coming back from very serious injuries, and of course some incredible players have retired over the last year or two.

But the reality is that key remaining guys are burnt out. JJ is out of position anyway and on the wrong side of thirty, as is Jackie, Tommy, Brian Hogan, Taggy. How to quantify the amount of hurling they have clocked up ?

It is doubtful if we will ever see a team to come close to their collective greatness. I don't think the newer crop are of the same calibre, but that's no disgrace. We'll be there or thereabouts as we generally have been through the years.

No harm if it gets spread around a bit for a few years.

Congrats to Dublin, by the way !

Id never say KK are truly dead and buried until their coffin was well and truly nailed and buried in the ground but i agree with a lot of your post.

This team has been the greatest ever,but time waits for no one and all good things do come to an end even for a county as great as KK.I wouldnt be suprised if there was one last kick left in ye but i do think that a third game in 3 weeks will really test ye,espiceally with so many injuries.

If ye manage to get over Tipp and get Shefflin back ye will be sum force but yere definetly vulernable now.
    If ye are beaten,ye wont be down for long.KK under Cody will always come back stronger .

Id never say KK are truly dead and buried until their coffin was well and truly nailed and buried in the ground but i agree with a lot of your post.

This team has been the greatest ever,but time waits for no one and all good things do come to an end even for a county as great as KK.I wouldnt be suprised if there was one last kick left in ye but i do think that a third game in 3 weeks will really test ye,espiceally with so many injuries.

If ye manage to get over Tipp and get Shefflin back ye will be sum force but yere definetly vulernable now.
    If ye are beaten,ye wont be down for long.KK under Cody will always come back stronger .

Hi ttm, I'm old enough to remember the lean years between '83 and '92, and I think that's closer to what's in store.

I think you've touched the heart of it though - the dependence on Shefflin. It just doesn't bode well to still be so reliant on a man who has been front and centre for so long. I know he is unique, and I know Michael Fennelly is missing too, but still...

I'm not saying Tipp are any great shakes, but after tonight they will surely smell blood. They want revenge. If they can't get past this KK side, there is no hope for them. Already they are starting to seem like a team that hasn't driven on, nor will not drive on from the high of '10.

Hi ttm, I'm old enough to remember the lean years between '83 and '92, and I think that's closer to what's in store.

I think you've touched the heart of it though - the dependence on Shefflin. It just doesn't bode well to still be so reliant on a man who has been front and centre for so long. I know he is unique, and I know Michael Fennelly is missing too, but still...

I'm not saying Tipp are any great shakes, but after tonight they will surely smell blood. They want revenge. If they can't get past this KK side, there is no hope for them. Already they are starting to seem like a team that hasn't driven on, nor will not drive on from the high of '10.
    Rest assured ye wont have a fanmine like that The only great hurling county that endures such famines is my own Hurling county of Cork.

Unlike Cork ,KK have a county board and too many really hurling men involved to stop that from happening.2 or 3 years if even that is all yere famine would be.Id agree if Tipp fail to beat KK,it has ended before it ever begun for Tipp under Eammon O Shea,a coach i rate very highely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Didn't Kilkenny lose to Galway last year in Leinster and go on to will the AI? All this talk of a decade without a KK All-Ireland victory is a bit premature now, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kilkenny were not on top form tonight, but they were made look poor by impressive Dublin tactics. I'm surprised at KK, Dublin pulling men back in a blanket sort of defense, and KK not being able to work through it. First thing was to stop KK getting goals, which Dublin did. Dublin just seemed to be that bit sharper, being able to win the breaks - KK played a lot of crossfield balls, which Dublin could read. Its a match I'd like to be able to see again, and watch in a bit more detail stats wise, think there could be some very interesting ones there.

The thing is that Dublin didn't even play that well themselves. They probably should have won by a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

madness to be writing off Kilkenny as a spent force. their injury situation may cost them over the next 2 or 3 weeks, but given the fact they have won an unreal amount underage and still have a brilliant base of players, they aint going nowhere.

how long more are their injured players out?

The thing is that Dublin didn't even play that well themselves. They probably should have won by a bit more.
    All the frees they missed nearly haunted them in the end.

KK scored four points from play. In the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Spectre92

Does anyone know where I might get tickets for the match?

I've never been to a GAA match before :( and since I'm from Tipperary I'd really like to go.

It'd probably be easier for me to get tickets in say Kilkenny, Carrick on Suir or Clonmel. I'm not really sure where to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Didn't Kilkenny lose to Galway last year in Leinster and go on to will the AI? All this talk of a decade without a KK All-Ireland victory is a bit premature now, in fairness.

Speaking only for myself now, I didn't say that.

'84 to '91 is eight years without a win (and '94 to '99 of course is six years more without a win)

So anyway, you can either take '82 & '83, or '92 & '93 and either way you've got two wins in a decade.

Which is a lot better than most have achieved, but not quite the same as having won nine of the last thirteen finals.

It probably won't be a famine but it certainly won't be a feast, is what I really mean to say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement