Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnant at work

Options
  • 29-06-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm 30 weeks pregnant and have only 8 weeks left before my maternity leave. Since 14 weeks I've had problems with varicose veins and tried to deal with it sorts of ways including buying very expensive maternity tights.
    My job involves late nights and I'm on my feet most of the day which I'm finding unbearable lately. I had my checkup this week and my doctor was not happy with my legs. I'm the only one working and she knows i can't afford to get signed off,
    so she wrote me a letter saying I can't do late shifts and need more rest breaks.
    I am terrified of giving it to my employer in case they come up with some excuse and I'll be forced out. Never mind the fact that I still get twice as much done heavily pregnant than others there. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Your employer has an obligation to ensure that there is no risk to your health while working and pregnant. If you are no longer able to do your normal duties they should make alternative arrangements for you.

This is not like normal sickness - by virtue of the fact you are pregnant they cannot treat you unfavourably as to do so would be discrimination on the grounds of gender and pregnancy.

Give your employer your note and don't be worried about being forced out. Even if they are not happy about it there is very little they can do because you are very well protected by the law due to being pregnant.

Take care of yourself, heed your doctors advice and don't stress yourself out.

Also, if your doctor signs you off on sick leave then you could claim illness benefit until you go on maternity leave. It is not that much less per week than maternity benefit. So unless you really can't manage for 8 weeks on €188, then give some serious thought to your doctors recommendation that you stop work for now. Again your rights are well protected because of your pregnancy.

Good luck with work and the baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Little Ted wrote: »
    Your employer has an obligation to ensure that there is no risk to your health while working and pregnant. If you are no longer able to do your normal duties they should make alternative arrangements for you.

This is not like normal sickness - by virtue of the fact you are pregnant they cannot treat you unfavourably as to do so would be discrimination on the grounds of gender and pregnancy.

Give your employer your note and don't be worried about being forced out. Even if they are not happy about it there is very little they can do because you are very well protected by the law due to being pregnant.

Take care of yourself, heed your doctors advice and don't stress yourself out.

Also, if your doctor signs you off on sick leave then you could claim illness benefit until you go on maternity leave. It is not that much less per week than maternity benefit. So unless you really can't manage for 8 weeks on €188, then give some serious thought to your doctors recommendation that you stop work for now. Again your rights are well protected because of your pregnancy.

Good luck with work and the baby!
    I thought I would not get a reply. Thank you so much as it makes me feel more confident to hand the note in. I've only rang in sick and couple times in my life so you can imagine how it makes me feel to do that. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

Your employer is supposed to do a risk assessment whilst you are pregnant, this should cover health issues as well as workings alone issues. If you have a union rep I suggest you contact them and get them to address the issues with you.
    You have a doctors letter , with EU regulations they are compelled to comply with medical regulations and make ' reasonable adjustments' whilst you are pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Threads merged, please don't post the same thread in multiple forums

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Eoin wrote: »
    Threads merged, please don't post the same thread in multiple forums

Sorry mod but wasn't sure which was the right one

• Advertisement
Advertisement