Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Is this place still open?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is this place still open?

Past it Saturday while running and it was open I think. Definitely closed yesterday for whatever reason. She has a bad name for doing that - just closing the shop with little/no notice or changing her opening/closing hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

According to Today FM Badass Burritos have the best burritos in Ireland.

link

I dunno about that, was in Galway recently and thought Boojum was much better, but it's all opinion of course. Then again it's being over a year when I last tried Badass so maybe it has improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

link

I dunno about that, was in Galway recently and thought Boojum was much better, but it's all opinion of course. Then again it's being over a year when I last tried Badass so maybe it has improved.

That is a joke right? I mean they are fine but they are no Boojum or many of the others around the country.

They are definitely better than the other place by the milk market though. That place was nice when they opened but it has gone waaaayyy downhill.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

link

Basically, they had a quick phone in competition on Today FM and she put out the word on FB for everyone to vote for her. It worked. Boojums are on a totally different planet to Badass. They day they open in Limerick will be a great day indeed.

One of the main prerequisites of a good restaurant is, you know, actually being open. Funnily enough I was on the bus in limerick a few weeks ago and two guys were having a chat about the place. I won't repeat what was said but they were less than complimentary about the owner and that "they were never open anyways".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I tried this about a month ago. I'm not big into burritos, but would have gotten them in Boojum in Belfast and Dublin a few times.

To call it mediocre would be too kind.

A burrito is just an assembly of a number of ingredients/recipes.

The pulled pork was bland as hell. Rice had no flavour, beans were beans, cheese was very nice, jalapeños clearly came from a jar. Salsa was anonymous.

All I have to compare it to is Boojum, where they seem to take more effort in their meats and ingredients. Their rice is delicious, their beans are more than filler and their meat tastes like slow roasted pulled meat should. Its still not anything spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Not the most amazing burritos but they are not terrible either. She's pure stingy with the guacamole though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

moleyv wrote: »
    I tried this about a month ago. I'm not big into burritos, but would have gotten them in Boojum in Belfast and Dublin a few times.

To call it mediocre would be too kind.

A burrito is just an assembly of a number of ingredients/recipes.

The pulled pork was bland as hell. Rice had no flavour, beans were beans, cheese was very nice, jalapeños clearly came from a jar. Salsa was anonymous.

All I have to compare it to is Boojum, where they seem to take more effort in their meats and ingredients. Their rice is delicious, their beans are more than filler and their meat tastes like slow roasted pulled meat should. Its still not anything spectacular.

Completely agree with you here , her burrittos are bland at best, opening times are a disaster and if she thinks her burrittos are the best in ireland she is deluded.. Nothing compares to boojum or pablo picante!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Once more unto the breach for me on this topic:P, this thread needs to be shut down.

I have no opinion on her opening hours as I don't go that often and have probably been lucky but it's always been opened when I went in, she has been very friendly towards me and I have found her good company, it helps that I have an interest in San Francisco and baseball.
    I think her Burritos are extremely good and are a match for anything I've had in Ireland, that is not a joke. Boojum is probably better alright but the last time i was in there I had to queue for 20 minutes so that took some of the shine off it, I have no hesitation in saying that Badass is better than Pablo Picante. Her pulled pork is outstanding, I was surprised to hear it disparaged a few posts ago.
    All my opinion of course but I like to offer a bit of variety when I see this place getting bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

I agree with you Swiper, I often eat there and always enjoy it. Never had a problem with the owner either.

I do wish she would bring back the beef though but until then I'm happy enough with the pork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Oh, the most polarising food outlet in Limerick.

I'm also a fan, for what it's worth.

I've also never had an issue with turning up and it being closed. People know that they're closed every Monday and Tuesday don't they? I always check the Facebook page just in case. I would be frustrated if that did happen but I've never had that problem, or any other issue with the place.

le_girl wrote: »
    Oh, the most polarising food outlet in Limerick.

Yup, it's hilarious really. Almost as controversial as
    water charges :eek:

For what I've been hearing on the grapevine Boojum are really looking to drive their business forward after the recent change in ownership. Wouldn't be surprised if they are looking to open new stores, fingers crossed for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

The burritos are good, but twice recently I was working in the city and made the walk up there to find it closed. It's a real shoddy way to run a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I emailed Boojum not so long ago, about something else and also asked if they had any plans for Limerick and they said none...but they probably would say that anyway.
    To be honest I was a big fan of Boojum but the last few times I was in the Galway one it was no way as good as it was at the beginning. The burritos have definitely got smaller and wasnt a big fan of some of the meat the last 2 times. The happy clappy staff there are a bit OTT as well...but there are worse complaints I suppose. Its definietly not as good as it was and a few of my Galway mates say exactly the same.

I still go to Badass the odd time, but not a fan of not being able to eat in, and like others its often closed. She does a mean burrito though when she wants to, and she has all the ingredients. Its just a pity its all over the place as a business

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Walked up completely out of my way after work around 6 ish. Arrived up shutters down, no sign. Second time happening to me. Puts me off going up there again

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

cup of tea wrote: »
    Walked up completely out of my way after work around 6 ish. Arrived up shutters down, no sign. Second time happening to me. Puts me off going up there again

When, yesterday? I think she's always closed Monday and Tuesday.

Yes, they're closed Monday and Tuesday every week.

I'm starting to think that this is the cause of the complaints that they're always closed when people pass. People just don't realise what the regular opening days/times are?

I've seen a couple of instances on the Facebook page where they were closed for a few days for maintenance or something but they seemed to be isolated incidents and nothing to justify the constant complaints.

How about having opening hours on the door? Do they?

They might have it displayed in the window or on the door but I think they pull a shutter down when they're not open so it might be covered up when closed (if it is written somewhere). Maybe something for them to think about.

They just posted on Facebook that they'll be in the milk market on Friday afternoons from the 13th. Dunno if that means the shop will be closed but I hope they do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ian_jen

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine was in hospital with her son and the lady in Badass gave me a free burrito to bring out to my friend in the Regional. She is a lovely lady and always friendly so I think these nasty comments are unfair.

I go for a burrito in Badass at least once a week and have to say they are delicious, especially the pork with a mix of both beans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Haven't had one yet but Centra on O'Connell Street now do burritos!

Haven't had one yet but Centra on O'Connell Street now do burritos!

She has nothing to worry about in that regards at the moment anyways.
    They are pretty brutal. They don't even have salsa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I see the shop is going to be open late on Fri and Sat nights, 0030-0330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I see the shop is going to be open late on Fri and Sat nights, 0030-0330

Only a short stumble from Costelloes.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Only a short stumble from Costelloes.
    It's not going to last. All 24 hour / late opening shops in town give up after a short while. It's too messy.

As for the burritos, they are pretty nice but she's stingy as **** with the guacamole.

She would really need to hire a security guy if she's doing that (For the PC among you - not because she's a woman but I wouldn't want to be in a place like that on my own without backup if something kicked off).

But I get the feeling she may not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

It's not going to last. All 24 hour / late opening shops in town give up after a short while. It's too messy.

As for the burritos, they are pretty nice but she's stingy as **** with the guacamole.

The Kwik-e-mart on Henry street has been open 24h for ages now. That area does get a bit sketchy late at night though.

Pretty impressed that a thread about burritos in Limerick has managed to run 23 pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The Kwik-e-mart on Henry street has been open 24h for ages now. That area does get a bit sketchy late at night though.

Pretty impressed that a thread about burritos in Limerick has managed to run 23 pages.

It's on a loop, every few weeks someone gives out and then me and a couple of others take up the defence, same stuff every time:pac:

It's on a loop, every few weeks someone gives out and then me and a couple of others take up the defence, same stuff every time:pac:

At least it's more consistent than the opening hours...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

So there was a big hoopla about her having a stall at the Milk Market but it seems like it was all over in the blink of an eye. Post on Facebook about it not being financially viable.

I'll give the late opening less than a week before we see a similar announcement

Advertisement