Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

roast wrote: »
    Yeah, true enough, very dodgy.
    I should have mentioned it - I think the council should really be rethinking their decisions (and get an adequate bollocking for it) but in the interim, if she feels she is in danger of closing down then some extra effort might be required in order to stay afloat. Not ideal or fair and certainly a lot of pressure.
    I don't think calling out the business on FB was necessary either though - if anything, Badass ended up giving the competition some promotion.

I think naming them personally was bad form. They are people trying to make a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Is Badass decent?

I've had Boojum in Dublin recently and it was nice but the nicest one I had was in Casa Del Burritos on High St. before it changed again!

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Is Badass decent?

I've had Boojum in Dublin recently and it was nice but the nicest one I had was in Casa Del Burritos on High St. before it changed again!

It's very nice but no comparison to Boojum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This is one of my fav threads on Boards. :D

I do find the ad-hoc opening hours a bit bizzare. If she wants to work reduced hours then make those her advertised hours. Closing the shop when she is meant to be open should only be done in emergencies. I can see how this would annoy people.

Anyway if someone like Boojum comes to Limerick she will be under significant pressure. Last I heard their new owners were planning possible expansions but didn't hear about specific locations.

This is one of my fav threads on Boards. :D

I do find the ad-hoc opening hours a bit bizzare. If she wants to work reduced hours then make those her advertised hours. Closing the shop when she is meant to be open should only be done in emergencies. I can see how this would annoy people.

Anyway if someone like Boojum comes to Limerick she will be under significant pressure. Last I heard their new owners were planning possible expansions but didn't hear about specific locations.

I hope Boojums open in Limerick. No lie, we sometimes base a trip to Galway around Boojums. Don't judge me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I hope Boojums open in Limerick. No lie, we sometimes base a trip to Galway around Boojums. Don't judge me :D

We do the same to get something to eat in Monroe's. Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

FutureGuy wrote: »

Honestly find the one in Galway VERY hit and miss, the last few times I had one I remember thinking Badass' were so much nicer ( and bigger). Really depends who serves you up there. When Boojum are good, they are really good though.
    Pablo Picante in Dublin do really nice ones as well imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

I think she is very unprofessional reading that facebook post... She claims she has the best burritos in Ireland and I call absolute B**lox to that. It was a text in today fm which she told people to do on her facebook page..

I dont understand how she suddenly can open 7 days a week if outside Penny's when she has a unit now.. Cop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

RVN10 wrote:
    I think she is very unprofessional reading that facebook post... She claims she has the best burritos in Ireland and I call absolute B**lox to that. It was a text in today fm which she told people to do on her facebook page..

Yes. I don't respond well to hysterical women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

She's not 'hysterical', she is just passionate about her business and is trying to get her point across in the best way she knows how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

panda100 wrote:
    She's not 'hysterical', she is just passionate about her business and is trying to get her point across in the best way she knows how.

By asking random people on facebook to harass the council?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Linking opening hours to hygiene is nuts.
    Nothing more to say on this point.

Opening hours.
    She usually posts on Facebook if she is closed.

Until you have run your own business you have no idea how stressful it can be. Doing it solo even more so. Taking the odd day off doesnt bother me. I like people who row their own boat and decide to live life on their terms. Very few people are brave enough to do it.

The food is good. She's a cool lady. She brings something new and interesting to the city centre. If you want guaranteed standardised service delivered exactly when you want it, go to supermacs.

This lady should be supported.

The reason for linking opening hours to hygiene is to highlight how being unprofessional in one area of her business would lead people to think she may be unprofessional in other areas. Food preparation and hygiene were chosen because they impact directly on customers.

It is quite valid to raise such concerns.

I have no problem with small businesses, I love small one off restaurants. I love giving my money to a local business over a national or multi national franchise, and nobody was as excited as I was when I heard about Badass opening. But every attempted encounter I have had with this business has led to disappointment.

She might be a cool lady, the food may be good, but unless she starts opening and remaining open during her supposed opening hours she will lose and continue to lose potential customers.

i can understand closing for a holiday when you're a one person show, I can't understand closing up in the middle of your working day for no apparent reason. It's all well and good posting it on Facebook, fantastic news for her Facebook followers. But what about the other 99, 000 potential customers in this county or the 4.5 million potential customers in this country? How are they supposed to know that if the go to the restaurant between 5pm and 10pm it's completely unknown whether they will actually get what they want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I have no affiliation. I'm not even a regular customer. I didn't think I sounded upset?

My starting point in this is the support of local business owners who take the risk to try something in the city centre. This lady has moved to limerick, invested personal funds (possibly borrowed), set up a business selling a good product which adds to the city centre. She has done this in her own with very little help from anybody. This means she created and works for everything you see in that shop. She chops the veg, cooks the food and pays the bills.

From facebook her reasons for sporadic closing is to take care of her sick mother or running out of ingredients.

Limerick should welcome this lady with open arms and support her accordingly. Instead we get this bitterness from dragon den watching couch potatoes who's burrito isn't served on demand.

Yes she needs to sort the opening hours but is this reason not to be supportive of this business?

On other threads in this forum there is constant discussion about improving limerick city centre. In that context this is a local business which could be there for the next 30 years. Longer than a van from cork. She buys her ingredients locally and if she grows she will employ locally.

My suggestion is we support heavily and criticise gently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wouldn't it be great if we could discuss burritos in Limerick rather than social media crusades/business best practices/council rules

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

This woman comes across as a complete egomaniac who is throwing a strop because she didn't get what she wanted.

She can't keep her shop open for regular hours, why would the council give her a spot on the citys main thoroughfare based on her word that she will stay open?

Asking people to bombard phone lines is beyond pathetic and will result in people resenting her. I am not a follower of her page on Facebook, how am I to know when she sporadically decides to close her shop. It is an awful awful way to run a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

This woman comes across as a complete egomaniac who is throwing a strop because she didn't get what she wanted.

Strop....hysterical...Nice to see that this thread has descended into sexism. I highly doubt these types of nouns and adjectives would be used if it was a man running this business.

source wrote: »
    The reason for linking opening hours to hygiene is to highlight how being unprofessional in one area of her business would lead people to think she may be unprofessional in other areas. Food preparation and hygiene were chosen because they impact directly on customers.

It is quite valid to raise such concerns.

But isn't this the nuclear accusation against a food business?
    To infer a restaurant is unhygienic could end their trade.

You are taking massive leaps and doing really heavy damage to any potential customers who are reading this board.
    There's no rational basis for it. It's so far beyond the line.

I'm not a food professional but the few times I've been there, my impression is the lady runs a clean shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

But isn't this the ultimate accusation against a food business?
    It's the nuclear accusation to call a place dirty?

You are taking massive leaps and doing really heavy damage to any potential customers who are reading this board.

I'm not a food professional but the few times I've been there, my impression is the lady runs a clean shop.

The issue is that a person might come to these conclusions if they were to experience the issues outlined in this thread. Which honestly, is very likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

But isn't this the nuclear accusation against a food business?
    To infer a restaurant is unhygienic could end their trade.

Tbh she's done that all by herself. People wouldnt be so upset if her she opened and stay opened during her business hours. The sporadic nature of her business is what is driving people away. Why would the council give her a spot in the urban garden if she isnt going to be there 3 days out of 5 regardless of her personal life. If she has to be at home, then have opening hours that allow her to do that and stick to it.

If you were a business owner would you keep an employee who decided to turn up when they wanted and finish when they wanted regardless of opening hours/customers? Probably not!

panda100 wrote: »
    Strop....hysterical...Nice to see that this thread has descended into sexism. I highly doubt these types of nouns and adjectives would be used if it was a man running this business.

Men throw strops and get hysterical too FYI

• Advertisement

The issue is that a person might come to these conclusions if they were to experience the issues outlined in this thread. Which honestly, is very likely.
    a person

Nobody has raised this as a direct criticism.
    You and the other poster haven't witnessed unhygienic practices.
    You are both raising a wild accusation, with no basis and doing so using the third person to escape responsibility for doing so!

It's the most vicious direction this general conversation has taken yet.

It's the reason I said earlier that this thread bothers me.

It's easy to point out the flaws in any business.
    But when the ones come along who offer a genuinely good product and try to "plug in" to the city. They should be supported.

This is a far cry from Dealz opening up on Bedford row.

I hope people read this and customer reviews and decide to give her a try.

This could be really good PR for her.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Can we get back on topic please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »

I think strop and egomaniac would be used just as much for men. Hysterical, not so much.

Then again, men don't really get hysterical

:D

There has been feedback in the past where posters feel that mods shouldn't be deleting posts and should just move them to another thread. As it's not possible to always move posts to an appropriate thread this thread will be used as a holding ground for move threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tbh she's done that all by herself. People wouldnt be so upset if her she opened and stay opened during her business hours. The sporadic nature of her business is what is driving people away. Why would the council give her a spot in the urban garden if she isnt going to be there 3 days out of 5 regardless of her personal life. If she has to be at home, then have opening hours that allow her to do that and stick to it.

If you were a business owner would you keep an employee who decided to turn up when they wanted and finish when they wanted regardless of opening hours/customers? Probably not!

That's moving the goalposts, to be fair.

There is nothing to suggest that the person from Kanturk got the space in the urban garden (whatever the **** that is) because of Badass Burritos irregular opening hours.

According to her, she met the stipulations laid down by the Council and the trader from Kanturk didn't. Something is very wrong there.

Nobody has raised this as a direct criticism.
    You and the other poster haven't witnessed unhygienic practices.
    You are both raising a wild accusation, with no basis and doing so using the third person to escape responsibility for doing so!

It's the most vicious direction this general conversation has taken yet.

It's the reason I said earlier that this thread bothers me.

It's easy to point out the flaws in any business.
    But when the ones come along who offer a genuinely good product and try to "plug in" to the city. They should be supported.

This is a far cry from Dealz opening up on Bedford row.

I hope people read this and customer reviews and decide to give her a try.

This could be really good PR for her.

I'd love to give her another try but I just don't know when she will be open and closed.

Please don't fee that this thread is exempt from the normal rules of posting or that it can go completely off topic, in fact I feel that it would be more suitable to either start a new thread or continue another 1 rather than to continue discussion in here but we'll see how it goes for now.

Clareman wrote: »
    There has been feedback in the past where posters feel that mods shouldn't be deleting posts and should just move them to another thread. As it's not possible to always move posts to an appropriate thread this thread will be used as a holding ground for move threads.

We were discussing the business of badass burritos in the badass burritos thread. What's the problem here?

Hi folks,

I have tried to tidy up this thread as much as possible, I might have accidentally moved some posts that would be more suitable in here, feel free to repost them if you think it would be suitable but please remember to keep this thread related to Buritos rather than business issues/sexisms/social media/council.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have tried to tidy up this thread as much as possible, I might have accidentally moved some posts that would be more suitable in here, feel free to repost them if you think it would be suitable but please remember to keep this thread related to Buritos rather than business issues/sexisms/social media/council.

So basically we can't talk about the biggest issue around badass burritos right now? Wow.

Advertisement