Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

bigpink wrote: »
    Oh thanks sorry thought it part of the castle
    Is there 2 mexcian food trucks onefrom cork and one from limerick

Same truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

She's still ranting about it on her facebook account! :D
    Sometime a picture tells a thousand words !!i got a phone call fromNick Rabbitt and he explained he was asked by Foodnfusion /Mexicanfooddudes to write a story and he had a few questions for me so l went to the leaders office to give my story what Nick chose not to mention was my first encounter with Siobhan Downey was back in October when she came into my shop asking me would I join the Friday Flea Market as she was looking for more food vendors to join so I told her I would give it a go but if I didn't make money I would not continue and I did one Friday and lost money so l rang Siobhan Downey and left a message saying it wouldn't work for me ........ When I saw the Foodnfusion on May 2 at the Urban Garden I saw Alan Woods web page on the trailer and looked it up ......it said owner Alan Woods Kanturk ....on the 3rd May I pass the Urban Garden and see Siobhan Downey serving burritos and I said to her I didn't know you were from Kanturk and she said in not and turned to Alan Woods and said Badass Burritos .So I left and called Mary Hayes at the Council and told her who I just saw serving burritos from the Foodnfusion trailer and she said who and I said Siobhan Downey and she said she didn't know Siobhan Downey ,so I said well I do and explained how Siobhan Downey had come in to my Shop in the official capacity of a employee of the Limerick Milk Market asking me to join her Friday Flea Market ....Mary Hayes there only there temporary so I said temporary could be 5years and she said they helped her out as the thrashers she had booked let her down .........I gave all this info to Nick Rabbitt and he seems to have decided it was not relate to this story ....I'm hoping the photos will establish a timeline of these events .......Siobhan Downey by her own admission said in what Nick Rabbittsaid was a facebook statement the one where she was viciously attacked Nick chose not to mention that Siobhan Downey claimed that Alan Woods and her business was only ONE MONTH old ......so my question is how were they able to get a Casual Traders Licence so quickly as on the Limerick City Council website there is a waiting list !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The battle rages on!

From http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/208526/Mexican-stand-off-over-trading-spot.html
    Mexican Food Dudes are considering legal action over comments on social media in relation to having a presence at the Urban Garden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

They both need to shut up at this stage.

BurritoGateLimerick
    A MEXICAN stand-off has developed in Limerick, with two businesses at war over a prime city centre trading spot.

Siobhan Downey and Alan Woods of Mexican Food Dudes are considering legal action over comments on social media in relation to having a presence at the Urban Garden, a new street-trading initiative opened in front of Penneys, O’Connell Street, in the city.

They were asked to vacate their pitch and have moved to a site next to King John's Castle.

Meanwhile Mags Nash, Badass Burritos, Catherine Street claimed she sought to trade in the Urban Garden as far back as December, and was dismayed to find another Mexican eaterie in the form of Mexican Food Dudes allowed to set up on the site.

She questioned Limerick City and County Council on the matter, asking why Mexican Food Dudes was given priority over a rate paying trader like herself.

But Ms Downey says they broached the issue of rates with the council, and were told this would be dealt with in due course.

She added they were given a “verbal understanding” they “could continue to trade as long as we wanted in the Urban Garden”. Instead, they were asked to leave on Friday, May 13.

“We have done the heavy lifting, establishing the reputation of Mexican food in the Urban Garden, yet we are shunted away like yesterday's rubbish,” she said.

Ms Downey said she received a call to open in the Urban Garden on Friday, April 29 – just hours before the city’s flagship Riverfest weekend got under way.

In the meantime, she and Mr Woods had agreed to operate the van in Nicholas Street. Ironically, they are now based next to King John’s Castle after being moved from the main thoroughfare.

However, Ms Nash – who has been paying rates in Catherine Street since 2013 – said: “When I applied for a spot back in December, I was told the terms and conditions to be on the list [of potential traders] was you need to be a business in the city and be paying rates, so I said: ‘Sign me up,” she said.

Ms Downey claimed in the days following the May Bank Holiday weekend “all hell broke loose” with her rival trader, who asked local TD Willie O’Dea to intervene on her behalf.

Ms Nash questioned how Mexican Food Dudes was allowed to trade instead of her.

“My question, and the question of my customers is, how did these people, if they only set up their business a month ago, get on this list? And even if they were on this list, they were not entitled to be, as they were not paying rates," she said.

My argument, and my reason for going public, is that I pay my rates, I pay my rent. How am I supposed to compete with a business that I was told is getting its facilities rent-free, rate-free and electricity [charges]-free?”

Days after this, following a meeting with the council, Ms Downey was asked to leave the Urban Garden.

“I have to say, it was a kick in the stomach. On that day, I felt I was going to vomit. The reality only dawned on me when we were in work, and people were coming to me asking if they could come back, and where are we going to be,” she Ms Downey, adding both herself and Alan had invested €41,000 making the venture a success.

Following the closure, Ms Nash says she was verbally offered a spot in the Urban Garden by Mary Hayes, of Limerick’s economic directorate. But when she insisted all future communication be put in writing, the council told her that it was still “undecided” about replacing Mexican Food Dudes.

Throughout this incident, the fallout has attracted large levels of debate on social media platforms.

In a statement published to Facebook last week, Ms Downey wrote: “I am at my personal and professional limit. Please be aware that I, my business and business partner, have been under sustained and vicious attack on social media.”

In response to claims she and her business partner are not from Limerick, Ms Downey confirmed she is from Corbally, with her business partner Mr Woods, although born in Dublin, based for a long time in Birdhill.

Ms Nash said: “I’m a soda-cake from Thomondgate, if you want to get down to who is more from Limerick. My point is this Urban Garden was set up for businesses in the city. If you had a business in the city, and you were from Timnbuktoo, it wouldn’t matter,” she said.

“I feel the Corporation has messed me about.”

Mr Woods confirmed he and Ms Downey were considering legal action adding: “I have put this in the hands of a Limerick-based solicitor.”

In a statement, Limerick council confirmed Mexican Food Dudes had been asked to “discontinue trading” at the spot. The authority added it was still assessing whether this unit will be replaced.

• Advertisement

The council will definitely have to come out and clear this whole mess up!!

In other news, there would appear to be a food market on the boardwalk tomorrow, I wonder will we see Ms Burritolady at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It's getting out of hand at this stage. I was joking about the horse's head a few pages back but maybe it will happen! :eek:

The rants on social media by certain people is looking more and more unprofessional. They would be better off handling these things behind closed doors with the council and other parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

By the way I passed by badass burritos today at 13:25 and the shutters were half down (not open for business) yet the hours on the window stated 12-8. Still hasn't changed her ways obviously. Prime lunch time.

Only way to settle this should be a Burrito Cook-off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

But Ms Downey says they broached the issue of rates with the council, and were told this would be dealt with in due course.

She added they were given a “verbal understanding” they “could continue to trade as long as we wanted in the Urban Garden”. Instead, they were asked to leave on Friday, May 13.

The council f*cked up, clear and simple from that article. It looks like they gave the spot to their buddies. Badass lady has every right to be furious.
    Ms Downey claimed in the days following the May Bank Holiday weekend “all hell broke loose” with her rival trader, who asked local TD Willie O’Dea to intervene on her behalf.

I love the fact that Willie O'Dea is now embroiled in this too. Classic Limerick :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

She has a point tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I'm still a bit confused, is this right?

Someone from the market approached her to set up in the urban thingy.

She tried it one day, lost money, so said it wasn't for her. (Edited to add 'for')

So the person who initially approached her, went at it instead with a different business partner?

Also bad that the council are willing to say things but then change direction once asked for it in writing. That is clearly what has happened on a few occasions to end up in this mess.

I still dont know what her problem is, when she finds it hard to operate the hours she is meant to be open in her own shop nevermind in the urban garden!

Mexican food dudes are after getting a great new spot by the castle
    This private or council owned

moleyv wrote: »

She tried it one day, lost money, so said it wasn't her.

So the person who initially approached her, went at it instead with a different business partner?

Also bad that the council are willing to say things but then change direction once asked for it in writing. That is clearly what has happened on a few occasions to end up in this mess.

Downey approached her to open during the friday flea market, Nash said she would but it would depend on her making money, so she loses money and said its not for her. Downey then went and opened in the urban garden in their own van (not one of the cabins which I assume the queue is for, and the one Nash put her name down for)

Think thats the gist of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Jofspring wrote: »
    By the way I passed by badass burritos today at 13:25 and the shutters were half down (not open for business) yet the hours on the window stated 12-8. Still hasn't changed her ways obviously. Prime lunch time.
    She doesn't open Tuesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Jofspring wrote: »

She's always closed on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday - Sunday 12-8 are the regular hours. I've always thought that this is where a lot of the confusion has come from - people pass on Monday and Tuesday and think that she's closed for no reason but that's been the normal opening hours for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The article doesn't really address why Food Dudes were asked to move on, does it? The claim of abuse on social media rings hollow when most of it has been directed at the Badass lady (Nash). If they're considering legal action surely it might be better directed at the Council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

moleyv wrote: »

She tried it one day, lost money, so said it wasn't for her. (Edited to add 'for')

Mc Love wrote: »
    Downey approached her to open during the friday flea market, Nash said she would but it would depend on her making money, so she loses money and said its not for her. Downey then went and opened in the urban garden in their own van (not one of the cabins which I assume the queue is for, and the one Nash put her name down for)

Think thats the gist of it

Source for this?

Ms Nash's own facebook post - i posted it above

The other thing I dont get is how Rene Cusack and the ice-cream place feel about the fooddudes having a trailer in the urban garden despite them not paying rates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Article on Limerick Leader now. Discussing legal action by Mexican food dudes it's unclear who they are looking to take the case against - Badass for the behaviour and statements made on social media or the council for some reason.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/208526/Mexican-stand-off-over-trading-spot.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hopefully their case is against the Council. They are responsible for this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yup it very much looks like Downey's mates in the council gave her and her partner the go ahead for the Urban Garden without following procedure. Nash had every right to be annoyed. This is 100% the fault of the council. They messed around an established trader and a new business and this mess is completely their fault. It's a pit the Leader article doesn't actually investigate this aspect of the story as that's the actual crux of the issue and it's obvious from the facts presented it's obvious to a 6 year old where the problem arose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

As for who gets my custom following this debacle, I'm going to try a FoodDude's burrito in the near future and then after that, I'm going go to whoever has the nicest burritos. Just like I would have if this had never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

It does smack of cronyism on the face of it.

#teambadass :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

#teamkebab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Something smells off to me, I hope its not the pulled pork....

Fair play to he badass lady she has all her info correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Including the part where she said they were from Cork I suppose haha, this whole thing is ridiculous how can any self respecting business regardless of reasons go on Facebook and put down another business. Leaving herself open to a slander case amongst everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Including the part where she said they were from Cork I suppose haha, this whole thing is ridiculous how can any self respecting business regardless of reasons go on Facebook and put down another business. Leaving herself open to a slander case amongst everything else.

If I was accused of being from Cork I'd take it all the way to the European Court of Justice dammit! :pac:

Advertisement