Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

FYI: Badass has changed her opening hours again.

Now open Wed - Sat 12-6 only.

So closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

davo2001 wrote: »
    FYI: Badass has changed her opening hours again.

Now open Wed - Sat 12-6 only.

So closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday :(

This will start the war again.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In fairness, she seems to have a very good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭browne_rob5

Anyone tried Cantina yet? New place in the Topaz in Thomondgate. They catered for the Munster team today. Had some pics on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Anyone tried Cantina yet? New place in the Topaz in Thomondgate. They catered for the Munster team today. Had some pics on twitter.

Been a couple of times now. Tasty and reasonably priced. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Have the MFD burritos improved any bit? Location is convenient but they've been very average any time i got one (last one was over 6 months ago).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Have the MFD burritos improved any bit? Location is convenient but they've been very average any time i got one (last one was over 6 months ago).

They were fairly good a couple of months ago when I got one from the guy that runs the place but I got one last week again from someone else and it was awful. Watery, bland...it made me sad :(

I think the original MFD people are running the waffles/nachos stall now and they've someone else working on the burritos, could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I got a burrito from Cantina 2 weeks ago, and thought it was pretty awful! Ingredients were okay (good selection to be fair), although the guacamole was a bit bland, but the burrito was put together so badly. It just fell apart as I was trying to eat, and the ratios of meat to toppings seemed all wrong (way too much toppings and sauce). Maybe the person making it was inexperienced, so I will give it another go. Or maybe I've just been spoilt by Badass Burritos all this time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Anyone been to the MFD new restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Treepole wrote: »
    Anyone been to the MFD new restaurant?

Was there at lunch time. Got s veggie burrito. 'twas ok. Have had tastier out of Cantina in Thomondgate. Will probably try MFD again though as never had an issue when ordering from the food truck.

They had a sign up saying they can't accept Debit/Credit cards at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

MFD are just terrible. The food was bland and messy, the chicken tasted like it was prepared a couple of days ago. There was absolutely nothing enjoyable about it. 40minute wait time for a f*cking burrito when there was only one other customer in the shop. They know f*ck all about mexican food or how to run a restaurant. Won't be back. YUCK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

daedal wrote: »
    MFD are just terrible. The food was bland and messy, the chicken tasted like it was prepared a couple of days ago. There was absolutely nothing enjoyable about it. 40minute wait time for a f*cking burrito when there was only one other customer in the shop. They know f*ck all about mexican food or how to run a restaurant. Won't be back. YUCK!

40 minutes for a burrito? How is that possible unless they were in the middle of making the wraps themselves.

Boojum if it does open will really shake the Burrito market up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Does the MFD van in the Urban Garden open anymore or is it just parked up in a prime spot providing advertising for them ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Does the MFD van in the Urban Garden open anymore or is it just parked up in a prime spot providing advertising for them ?

2 spots a trailer and hut

You never give up ground in a war lads.....jaysus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I keep hearing Boojum why is it so good

bigpink wrote: »

it has the backing of global Burrito cartels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

bigpink wrote: »

I don't know but I work in spitting distance of 3 of them ( thank god) they are amazing...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Looking forward to boojums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Any word on when Boojum is opening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

As a passive burrito connoisseur, boojum is good. But Pablo picante is in another league.

The two times I had badass it was muck.

It's like frozen Iceland pizza vs stone baked pizza in the hills of Tuscany

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

I love Tolteca's burritos, always get one if I am in Dublin or Galway. As for Badass Burritos I gave that place 3 chances, the last time was my final time - over 2 years ago. The lady was on a Skype call when I called in and kept me waiting, then made my burrito while continuing chatting on her Skype call, almost like I was an inconvenience. Extremely rude behaviour, and the burrito was terrible - which wasn't entirely unexpected based on my previous trips. Bland taste and if it had of cost me €2 it would have been too much. Won't be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

moleyv wrote: »
    As a passive burrito connoisseur, boojum is good. But Pablo picante is in another league.

The two times I had badass it was muck.

It's like frozen Iceland pizza vs stone baked pizza in the hills of Tuscany

I couldn’t agree less which proves I suppose that taste is quite subjective.
    Badass is must definitely not muck, I think that’s a very unfair comment, all her ingredients are top class and you couldn’t complain about the size of it, I’d forgive you if I felt you were a connoisseur of some sort but rating Pablo picante as you do tells me you’re not anything of the sort, it’s one of the worst I’ve had.
    Boojum is good to be fair, would do well in a good location in town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I couldn’t agree less which proves I suppose that taste is quite subjective. Badass is must definitely not muck, I think that’s a very unfair comment, all her ingredients are top class and you couldn’t complain about the size of it, I’d forgive you if I felt you were a connoisseur of some sort but rating Pablo picante as you do tells me you’re not anything of the sort, it’s one of the worst I’ve had. Boojum is good to be fair, would do well in a good location in town

It's actually the ingredients that I genuinely think are rubbish. Let's face it, a burrito is assembly, you just need to get the ingredients right.

Boojum has the greatest selection of ingredients and you can build it however you like. Their burritos end up being monsters, I usually go for a bowl instead.

Pablo picante has a menu, choose your extras and salsa. I only ever have the el classico there, and it genuinely is spectacular for flavour and the beef steak is cooked exceptionally. I haven't tried anything else off their menu to be fair.

Comparing things like the rice and beans between badass and boojum, you can really tell that a different level of care is taken in making them, rather than being a filler, they are a delicious ingredient in its own right.

Badass jalapenos are clearly just the ones out of the yellow jar. It's the spar deli of burritos. Most ingredients are from bags from a supplier, presumably the meats are somewhat slapped into an oven. I've genuinely had better pork from a pre made sandwich.

Plus as per the experience of another poster above, one of the times I was in Badass I seemed to be a massive inconvenience to the person behind the counter, despite it being quiet and no where near closing. For a one man band type enterprise, relationship with customers is critical.

Badass
    Customer care 3/10
    Ingredients 4/10
    Selection 5/10
    Overall 4.5/10

Boojum
    Customer care 6/10
    Ingredients 8/10
    Selection 10/10
    Overall 8/10

Pablo picante
    Customer care 9/10
    Ingredients 9/10
    Selection (7/10)
    Overall (8.5/10)

Of course as you say, a lot is personal taste and preference. I just cannot accept the quality of ingredients in badass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Badass is better than Boojum by a long way. Had both recently. There's just no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I've had a much different experience in Badass. I think the ingredients are what makes it so good. The rice is really flavourful and the salsas make it for me. The service is hit and miss (much better lately I've found) but the food means it's more than worth it for me.

Most of my experience with burritos was in California and it's almost as good as what I had there. I haven't tried any of the Irish chains though so I can't compare it to those. I'm really keen to try Boojum, I hope they do open here soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

moleyv wrote: »
    It's actually the ingredients that I genuinely think are rubbish. Let's face it, a burrito is assembly, you just need to get the ingredients right.

Boojum has the greatest selection of ingredients and you can build it however you like. Their burritos end up being monsters, I usually go for a bowl instead.

Pablo picante has a menu, choose your extras and salsa. I only ever have the el classico there, and it genuinely is spectacular for flavour and the beef steak is cooked exceptionally. I haven't tried anything else off their menu to be fair.

Comparing things like the rice and beans between badass and boojum, you can really tell that a different level of care is taken in making them, rather than being a filler, they are a delicious ingredient in its own right.

Badass jalapenos are clearly just the ones out of the yellow jar. It's the spar deli of burritos. Most ingredients are from bags from a supplier, presumably the meats are somewhat slapped into an oven. I've genuinely had better pork from a pre made sandwich.

Plus as per the experience of another poster above, one of the times I was in Badass I seemed to be a massive inconvenience to the person behind the counter, despite it being quiet and no where near closing. For a one man band type enterprise, relationship with customers is critical.

Badass
    Customer care 3/10
    Ingredients 4/10
    Selection 5/10
    Overall 4.5/10

Boojum
    Customer care 6/10
    Ingredients 8/10
    Selection 10/10
    Overall 8/10

Pablo picante
    Customer care 9/10
    Ingredients 9/10
    Selection (7/10)
    Overall (8.5/10)

Of course as you say, a lot is personal taste and preference. I just cannot accept the quality of ingredients in badass.

You talk a good game in fairness to you but none of it rings true for me, Pablo Picante is bang average, their location between the top of grafton st and Georges st was very handy for me one time and I ate there a few times, absolutely bang average, I'd rate Badass well over it.
    I've always had a friendly welcome from the woman in Badass, often had a nice chat with her, I find it difficult to believe she rubs up so many people the wrong way but I've no reason to disbelieve it, her salsa's, beans etc are excellent.
    And, her pork is outstanding, you have NEVER had better from a pre made sandwich, that's rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

With Storm Ophelia raging outside, what better way to spend the day than by going through these posts and enjoying the Burrito Wars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Any word on when Boojum is opening? Or where?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Any word on when Boojum is opening? Or where?

They appear to be opening across from Authurs Quay on the corner close to Vodafone (old bank).

Saw lights in there today as I passed so should be hearing more soon.

Advertisement