Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mr.H wrote: »
    Then there is the issue of only opening whenever it suited them. Ah too cold today or my star sign said something so we should stay closed.

Her mother was terminally ill and she was the only close relative she had. Sure it's annoying when you can't get the burrito you were looking forward to but when the reason is a business owner has to provide palliative care to her mother in the last year or so of her life I think we can all get over a bit of disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

As a person yea I feel empathy. As a customer I don't care. Lots of Business owners have family members who get sick and die. They also make allowances for that by having staff.

Her personal life is none of my business. I mean I don't know the manager in supervalu or his mother either. So should I feel bad as a customer if supervalu doesn't open and I don't know the guys mother is dying?

No of course not.

Yes it's a inconvenience that it's not open. No I don't know about her sick mother and yes I will go elsewhere if u see a business that appears to be lazy.

Especially when staff can be hired.

No excuse.

That said, it's fine if she thinks it's acceptable to close and open when she wants. But I'm telling you that it's not a healthy business strategy and it's a sure way to go out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's a truly rotten attitude and it says a lot that you'd equate a dying mother with a bad horoscope and still roll with it once it's been pointed out to you. At the end of the day she runs her business for the satisfaction she gets out of it, not to make big bucks and she owes nobody her presence. Hiring staff very often costs small business owners quite a lot more than their presence earns the business and if hiring someone would have cost her money it makes no sense to do so. Because again, nobody is entitled to her business being open. Financially it made more sense to close the business than to hire someone, one way or the other, caring for her dying mother cost her money, why exactly should she take a bigger hit than she already was taking? I can guarantee you she'd rather have been consistently at work and visiting her healthy mother on her regular day off. Instead she was going through what was almost certainly one of the most intense, exhausting and painful times of her life. The last thing she should have been doing was having to worry about and be out of pocket for a business she largely runs as an enjoyable hobby.

Would you ever cop yourself on.

I am saying that as a customer I dont care about her personal life. That's not a horrible attitude. It's fact.

Where were you for my grandmother's funeral? But see that's fine because you don't know her or me. So your not expected to know or care.

I didn't know about her mother but seriously why should I care? I said I empathize but that's as far as I go.

Not opening your business means you don't care if it's fails. The stories that have also been told about her attitude to customers back that up.

If you own a business and want to succeed, you keep your regular hours. If you are over worked you hire staff.

I'm not saying I how she fails I'm saying she inevitably will due to poor customer service.

It's ridiculous you think I should give a crap about a strangers mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Oh. My .God
    That is painful reading

• Advertisement

Yea I'm sorry your right.

When I go to the butchers later I'll ask him about his kids. I'll go shopping and ask the girl at the checkout how her dad is and I'll stop by the local gym to get to know the receptionist.

Would ye ever grow up. You really think that I have to be personal with a person who has a reputation for not being that nice to begin with.

No part of any interaction I may ever have with her is anything to do with her mother my mother or my anything.

I am only interested in being a customer not a friends FFS.

I didn't say I didn't feel bad for her. FFS this is the third time I am saying I empathize. Just because you want to use her mother dying as your way to excuse her behaviour, it doesn't mean I'm wrong. Don't try to pretend what I'm saying is mean in any way.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Yea I'm sorry your right.

When I go to the butchers later I'll ask him about his kids. I'll go shopping and ask the girl at the checkout how her dad is and I'll stop by the local gym to get to know the receptionist.

Would ye ever grow up. You really think that I have to be personal with a person who has a reputation for not being that nice to begin with.

No part of any interaction I may ever have with her is anything to do with her mother my mother or my anything.

I am only interested in being a customer not a friends FFS.

I didn't say I didn't feel bad for her. FFS this is the third time. Just because her mother dying is your only way to excuse her behaviour, don't try to pretend what I'm saying is mean in any way.

You’re presenting it quite heartlessly and your comparisons aren’t apt at all. I’ve no doubt it wasn’t your intention but that’s how it reads to me.
    She runs the business all by herself, it is clearly not worth her while to take on a staff member as she’d need to be there anyway and how many hours could she offer?
    You don’t have to care about her family or attend the funeral etc but you should understand that some things take priority over a small business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You’re presenting it quite heartlessly and your comparisons aren’t apt at all. I’ve no doubt it wasn’t your intention but that’s how it reads to me.
    She runs the business all by herself, it is clearly not worth her while to take on a staff member as she’d need to be there anyway and how many hours could she offer?
    You don’t have to care about her family or attend the funeral etc but you should understand that some things take priority over a small business.

First may I say I have not eaten from either of the 2 so I am not going to make s statement on either.

However she has decided to open a business and as such should have done her due diligence in what was needed. The first is regular opening hours and an employee at the odd times she can't be there. Why does she always have to be there. If not she need to communicate when she is open and from this thread she does not do that unless it's holidays. She may well be nice to you but if she is arguing with others that is not very good and you have to agree with that.

There is a grocery shop in my home town. Run by 1 guy. Everyone knows when he is open. His mom got very ill not 2 long ago and is now in hospital. He goes to her often yet still keeps the shop open with hours everyone knows about.

People know about his mother and has sympathy for him. But and the end of the day he has a business with customer and knows he has to cater for them or they will go else where and then will have no business and debts

Of course I understand. I said that it's her business and she is free to run it whatever way she wants. I'm not trying to be mean. I am just stating the fact is moat customers won't know or care about her personal life. They will just see the door always closed and hear of a poor attitude towards customers. These are the reasons I do not go there. Customer trust is a huge deal breaker.

If she doesn't care about succeeding then it doesn't matter but customers won't care either

Right guys, I’m taking this thread off follow for a while, I’m a dinosaur, and I’ve no real horror stories to relay so I’ll just enjoy my occasional burrito.
    You’ve free reign now Mr Poontang, perhaps you’d open your own Mexican restaurant with a your experience and expertise, I’m sure there’d be a queue a mile long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Right guys, I’m taking this thread off follow for a while, I’m a dinosaur, and I’ve no real horror stories to relay so I’ll just enjoy my occasional burrito.
    You’ve free reign now Mr Poontang, perhaps you’d open your own Mexican restaurant with a your experience and expertise, I’m sure there’d be a queue a mile long

At least try to defend your position and not be salty

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lookit, there’s been comments made on this thread that practically amount to slander, I’ve aleays defended Badass food more than anything, mr Poontang who would know well as he has catered Mexican weddings and makes his own burritos far superior to anything in Ireland has compared it to pedigree chum, I don’t go to a takeaway for conversation, I have never called anyone a liar, my opinion is my own, I’m not the kind to cut off my nose to spite my face.

That's why I said I was leaving earlier (and why I am back I don't know).

We have people calling other people liars (and fwiw I believe you as I have seen staff do the same rewrapping while I was waiting), we have people refusing to eat at boojums even though all their friends are eating there, and now we have people who are again bringing her mum into it.

Despite my incident with her a few years ago which lost me as a customer, she was always nice to me before then, she's a decent woman and she can run her business any way she pleases. Did I initially agree with it? No, coming from the PoV of a new customer. Was I pissed off when she did what she did to me in front of other customers? Of course I was. Comparmentalising all that, the fact that she is running it exactly the way that suits her is to be commended. I remember reading she read about a Vietnamese lunch woman who cooked X amount of product and finished when that was sold, and that's what she was trying to do with her place. Fair ****s. The fact that this thread is nearly 5 years old and Badass is still going strong (even though a number of rivals have closed such as Casa, Cantina, MFD) says everything, does it not?

Had we not had a falling out, I'd definitely be eating there but c'est la vie, we move on.

Guys, can we drop the ongoing piece about her mum too. It's sh!t to bring it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

This thread isn't even funny any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

FutureGuy wrote: »
    That's why I said I was leaving earlier (and why I am back I don't know).

We have people calling other people liars (and fwiw I believe you as I have seen staff do the same rewrapping while I was waiting), we have people refusing to eat at boojums even though all their friends are eating there, and now we have people who are again bringing her mum into it.

Despite my incident with her a few years ago which lost me as a customer, she was always nice to me before then, she's a decent woman and she can run her business any way she pleases. Did I initially agree with it? No, coming from the PoV of a new customer. Was I pissed off when she did what she did to me in front of other customers? Of course I was. Comparmentalising all that, the fact that she is running it exactly the way that suits her is to be commended. I remember reading she read about a Vietnamese lunch woman who cooked X amount of product and finished when that was sold, and that's what she was trying to do with her place. Fair ****s. The fact that this thread is nearly 5 years old and Badass is still going strong (even though a number of rivals have closed such as Casa, Cantina, MFD) says everything, does it not?

Had we not had a falling out, I'd definitely be eating there but c'est la vie, we move on.

Guys, can we drop the ongoing piece about her mum too. It's sh!t to bring it up.

Fair play to you. I haven't always agreed with everything you've posted on this thread, but I echo the sentiments of this post.

This 'anybody whose preference/experience is different than mine must have an ulterior motive' nonsense is tiresome.

Isn't it just great to be able to have a choice of burrito place? Why do we have to take sides and be so aggressive about it? You have a preference, that's cool. But remember when we didn't have a choice and you couldn't have a preference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I don't think the person earlier was trying to be really mean about separating Mags as a person and Mags as business owner.

Human nature is that despite a person's efforts personal and business life will sometimes collide but generally people strive to keep them separate.

Small businesses get disproportionately hit by things like that as the owner is often a single point of failure. Unfortunately, and I do mean that, customers are still looking for products and services and loans etc. still need to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

New hot salsa in Boojum today for a limited time period - Holy Smokes - made with Mexican Chilepin peppers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

New hot salsa in Boojum today for a limited time period - Holy Smokes - made with Mexican Chilepin peppers

They've also launched click n collect and deliveroo for Limerick...this is dangerous :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can anyone located Badasses facebook page, can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

davo2001 wrote: »
    Can anyone located Badasses facebook page, can't seem to find it.

Looks to have gone!?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Looks to have gone!?

I wonder is it still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

davo2001 wrote:
    I wonder is it still open.

Was in there last week, and there was no indication that it could be closing

Maybe Mags has turned her aim from the council to Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

She's closing and setting up a new venture. Great loss to the city, imo. Boojum still haven't got anywhere near the Badass standard.

So the Burritos wars are finally over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

zulutango wrote: »
    She's closing and setting up a new venture. Great loss to the city, imo. Boojum still haven't got anywhere near the Badass standard.
    Any idea what that is? Disappointed to hear she's closing, Boojum must have impacted on her business more than we thought it would..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Great so back to cooking own burrito. Boojum are no use tbf cold meat badly shaped and not very tasty.

Its a shame Mags had a great product and a way about her that reminded me of Ruth in the old Wild Onion. Any idea when she is closing

Wow lot of hate for Boojum, I've never had a bad meal there and neither have any of my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Entirely predictable.

Anyone with an ounce of business sense could see her days were numbered once a proper run burrito place opened.

You can't run a business like a hobby and treat your customers and potential customers like she did and get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Boojum is a load of ****e. Poorly but together cold messey ****e.

Advertisement