Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was in Casa yesterday. Very friendly staff, very nice (and large) burrito. Reasonably priced. The Boarsie Burrito Brigade have a choice now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I was in Casa yesterday. Very friendly staff, very nice (and large) burrito. Reasonably priced. The Boarsie Butroto Brigade have a choice now.

What are the prices exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    That's very odd? She can't be closing the business while on days off surely?

Edit: Actually that's exactly what it appears to be. Not opening up at all on Monday or Tuesday.

This is what annoyed me with the old place. When it opened I thought the owner was lovely and hoped it did well. I was recommending it all over the place. Thought the food was good too.
    Then one night I got it delivered on Just Eat.ie it was woeful and half size portions.
    Still I went back but she would just randomly close the place with no warning which was so bloody annoying!!
    Whenever I went she never had guacamole she said "Ohh the ones I bought today they are too hard to use"
    Will you just buy a load and let them ripen on a shelf then that's the problem solved!?????
    I was happy to hear it was reopening, said I'd give it a second chance. I walked by there last Sunday, It looks pretty dismal. Same colour scheme but the premises looks very rundown . Not very appealing and would put me off going in to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Had Casa de Burrito after reading the reviews here. Really poor effort I felt. No real choice of sauces and the beef was tough and chewy. Little enough rice used and the hot sauce wasn't great. Badass winning for me at the moment, not incredible but better than Casa.

For those talking about Boojum I think the Galway place has seriously dropped in portion size recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

My opinion, for what it is worth, is food better in Badass but Casa has seats which is important in Ireland, we don't always have weather suitable for outdoor eating.

Hope both do well, good to see empty units being filled.

Pity about the portions in Boojum, haven't been there in about 6 months but i guess that is the way things are going, smaller portions make them more money.

Someone asked about the price in Casa, 8euro for burrito and a can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

One thing I've picked up from badass is that I've always found the owner very nice and always willing to have a chat which is important. She ahs a clear passion about what she does but she isn't a business woman by no means. If she can get someone involved who can guide her in the business side it could be a success.

here's hoping anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭HattieMcDoogal

Interested in trying Casa de Burrito.

What are the vegetarian options like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Had Casa de Burrito after reading the reviews here. Really poor effort I felt. No real choice of sauces and the beef was tough and chewy. Little enough rice used and the hot sauce wasn't great. Badass winning for me at the moment, not incredible but better than Casa.

For those talking about Boojum I think the Galway place has seriously dropped in portion size recently.

Tried both places now. Would agree. Badass definitely wins on the food. The meat she does is far superior. I was a fan of Casa de Burrito when I found them first in Ennis, but in both their places the food is really oily. It wasn't like that at the beginning.

Badass won't get any awards for decor, but the burrito was lovely and v.decent size. She seemed busy too, there was a few people ahead of me. Would love some hotter sauces though.

Would also agree on Boojum in Galway, you are not stuffed leaving there by any means. Both Badass and Casa were bigger portions. Tasty but I'd eat two from Boojum

Just had a burrito from casa de burrito and I found that it was okay. There was a lot more meat than badass but not as much rice or beans. The wrap was definitely not microwaved too.

Was cheaper too for the burrito. A taco chip was also got and it is very very nice. Probably one of the nicest ones I have tasted in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭RINO87

Had casa during the week, grand it was good and big but the quality was pretty poor. Got the hottest salsa, warned it was quite hot and that I may need to add some sour cream to cool it down, I hate when people do that, if I didn't want the hottest they had I wouldn't have asked for it. Anyway salsa was pretty mild, chicken was ok but the rice flavourless. I must say again tho that it certainly was the biggest burrito I've seen in a while, like baguette sized! Quantity over quality I'd say.

Ate in badass today, got the pork. Lots of good flavour in the meat and rice. Again asked for the hottest salsa, pleasantly surprised that it had a decent kick off it, much more than the old badass, just could have done with more of it! Portion size just right, it was in good shape after walking home from town with it too.

Both places need some sprucing up tho, they really look awful. Badass is trying with theMexican pictures and stuff but alot more could be done. People do eat with their eyes!! Casa is worse, place is grubby for somewhere that's New and their Mexican 'decoration' is laughable.

Hopefully competition between the too will be healthy but badass are ahead at the moment!

• Advertisement

had casa again tonight. Big drop in quality from the last one. Won't be getting it again any time soon I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Hadn't seen this thread before now. I've eaten from Badass a few times in in both locations, to be honest I think it's actually very good, I've only had the pork and the chicken and to be fair to her the ingredients are top class. The pork is superb, as good as any pulled pork you'll get anywhere (which is everywhere as pulled pork seems to be the trendiest food fad at the moment), her beans are excellent as is the rice. Her hottest salsa isn't terribly hot but it's good, I've had burning salsa's which kinda takeover in a burrito. I'm led to believe that everything is made fresh and in house, she has large slow cookers out the back, I have found her to be extremely friendly whenever I've called in, that doesn't appear to have been the case for everybody and I have no reason t doubt anybody else or question their motives.
    I had a burrito from the place on high street last week and it was fine but well below Badass standards IMO.
    I'm no expert on burritos but the microwave doesn't seem to do any harm, it's always been about ten minutes before I've opened it and haven't had any problems with moisture being sucked out or whatever.
    Anyway I would recommend not biting off one's nose to spite one's face. It's a Limerick business and needs support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Is the place closed down? Went to get one earlier and it was closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Was open yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Was open yesterday

Must have just not bothered opening today. The place is closed Monday and Tuesday and open for only a few hours on the days they are supposed to be open. I certainly won't be going out of my way to get food from there if the place could be inexplicably closed. Seems odd to have such a lackadaisical approach to running a take-away restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I recently tried that casa de burrito place through justeat and its gorgeous. Portions were huge and food was tasty, love their nachos, kids loved it too. Definitely a new favourite of ours

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I recently tried that casa de burrito place through justeat and its gorgeous. Portions were huge and food was tasty, love their nachos, kids loved it too. Definitely a new favourite of ours

I had it again tonight and it was way better than what I had the last time a couple of months ago. The hot salsa was actually spicy too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I've yet to visit Casa de Burrito but the other place, Badass, has to be the worst run business I've ever set foot in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'd say the problem with Badass is that the owner doesn't need the money and that it's more of a hobby. Unfortunately that can cause disgruntled customers like the above comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

In fairness though, there are lots of hobbies to choose from. You shouldn't really be getting involved in retail and the food sector if you want to get out of the house for a few hours during the day. Take it seriously or don't bother IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

The burrito in Mickey Martins is delicious

squonk wrote: »
    In fairness though, there are lots of hobbies to choose from. You shouldn't really be getting involved in retail and the food sector if you want to get out of the house for a few hours during the day. Take it seriously or don't bother IMHO.

Yeah I had my first meeting with her since my altercation at the place last year. I was walking up Thomas Street looking at some work being done across on the other side of street. As I was doing so, this person on a moped waiting at the lights caught my attention by frantically waving at me. I realised it was the owner. She then proceeded to give a big fake smile/laugh and wave at me. After what happened at the place last year, this was nothing more than an attempt to rile me imo. I just walked on :D

Incredibly dislikable character, and it takes a lot for me to have a problem with someone. From talking to a number of people over the course of the last 6 months who used to go in but grew tired of her sh!te/business decisions/not being open when she is supposed to be (must be unbelievably annoying to go for a meal only for the place to be shut when its supposed to be open), they all stopped going too.

Regardless, Casa's burritos are now miles better so I'm happy to give them my business. They are lovely in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

You must have really left an impression on her if she remembers you after all this time! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The microwave is gone now, in fairness. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

This thread is like a sitcom sometimes!

Wetbench4 wrote: »

Ooh didn't know that they are on justeat! Nom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 taelor

I love the pork in Badass which is the only real reason I choose that over Casa. What would it take to convince them to take on a new meat? Their steak was... unpleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Is it a religious thing to not do pork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

taelor wrote: »
    I love the pork in Badass which is the only real reason I choose that over Casa. What would it take to convince them to take on a new meat? Their steak was... unpleasant

the pork is lovely to be fair to her and the portion sizes have increased hugely since the old place. The pork is the nicest of any burrito place i've been in Ireland. Was in Boojum in Galway ( again ;-)) recently and the meat was like mush and flavourless. Go there anytime I'm passing through Galway. Has gone downhill a bit recently imho and I was using that as the yardstick.

Anyone reccomend somewhere decent in Dublin for a burrito.(preferably not boojum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

vkid wrote: »
    the pork is lovely to be fair to her and the portion sizes have increased hugely since the old place. The pork is the nicest of any burrito place i've been in Ireland. Was in Boojum in Galway ( again ;-)) recently and the meat was like mush and flavourless. Go there anytime I'm passing through Galway. Has gone downhill a bit recently imho and I was using that as the yardstick.

Anyone reccomend somewhere decent in Dublin for a burrito.(preferably not boojum)

The pork is indeed outstanding and it's the only thing I've gotten from there although I've also had about half of my wifes chicken one one night. I tried Casa again on foot of some good reports here but I was very disappointed, just didn't have the same flavour, beans were disappointing and the chicken had nothing at all to say for itself, Badass is the hands down winner for me.

I've never eaten in Boojum as anytime I am passing the queues put me off, I find Pablo Picante fairly average, I had a lovely Burrito in a place called Tuzo's on Dawson Street last year. To be honest the choice of food in Dublin means that I will never be bothered with Mexican food there again now that there is a decent enough alternative in Limerick.

Advertisement