Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming in The River Suir at Carrick

Options
  • 29-06-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm planning to do a charity swim in The Suir at Carrick next month. However, I see that Tipp County Council does not recommend swimming in the Suir generally as the water does not meet bathing standards:

http://www.southtippcoco.ie/aboutus/news/exoired/mainbody,7396,en.html

Any advice would be welcome from local swimmers in Carrick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Look into some sort of safety boat cover if I were you.. And don't drink the water!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

We've been swimming up in cahir this year with no problems..... So far;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭i didn't do it

From what i've been told the E.U raised the bathing standards to such a high level not many rivers europe wide meet them, if any. Think the council just used it as an excuse to pull the lifeguards that they had at those places to save themselves a few bob.

That's also an old post on the county councils web you might want to find out if the river water has gotten any better.

Also agree with iceage make sure you get safty boat cover. Might want to talk to Carrick river rescue they might be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

It dont stop the kids from swimming there on warm days. The river rescue will help with any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I wouldn't swim in that river it's very dirty water with farmers dumping slurry in it and for years Thurles Town Council were letting waste from the public toilets in to the Suir.

• Advertisement
Advertisement