Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uninsured and Unlicensed Driver

• 29-06-2013 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

A couple of days ago a relative was stopped and was breathalysed which he failed. Driving daughter's car. Not insured to drive her car and never held a driving licence. Second time he has been done. Total idiot. What's the worst that will happen to him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He'd need to ask a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

+1 on Del2005. Need a solicitor.

He's caught a second time. He is to be done for drunken driving, no insurance and no licence.

In my opinion, he is facing prison - so pack a bag on date of court hearing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 thewayiam

Month in jail and banned for driving for 10 years I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

would he be looking at jail just for having no license?it all depends on the judge how long since the last convictione too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

would he be looking at jail just for having no license?it all depends on the judge how long since the last convictione too

It's the second time he's been stopped, either drunk or not it isn't clear from the OP. At this point a spell in jail might be what he needs to cop on.

That said I've no comment on how likely it is but speak to a solicitor ASAP - there's absolutely no reason he can't be talking to one as we all post here. He'd have been better off speaking to one at the point of being arrested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Judge in Naas Judge Zaidan regularly hands down 3 months inside for no Insurance alone.

ken wrote: »
    Judge in Naas Judge Zaidan regularly hands down 3 months inside for no Insurance alone.

holy crapballs no wonder the prisons are overflowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

He's tough on car offences and dead beat parents(dad's) not paying maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Fair enough. Driving uninsured is pretty obnoxious behaviour and should be punished.

there was a judge in swords i think he hard on for joyriders

• Advertisement

Sounds like Judge Judy...

Although the US idea of suspending drivers licenses for those behind in child support has to be admired.

Sounds like Judge Judy...

Although the US idea of suspending drivers licenses for those behind in child support has to be admired.

The US suspends drivers licences for a lot of things, we should do similar here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Del2005 wrote: »
    The US suspends drivers licences for a lot of things, we should do similar here.

I have seen drivers licence suspended for a person who used a car in a shoplifting spree, also for a person caught with drugs while in a car.

infosys wrote: »
    I have seen drivers licence suspended for a person who used a car in a shoplifting spree, also for a person caught with drugs while in a car.

In the US you can loose your licence for under age drinking or shooting across a road. Something similar for Ireland would be the idea. For littering or drunk and disorderly take the licence for a week etc make it a fixed penalty instead of taking up court time. It'd have a bigger deterrent affect than the usual donation to the poor box for minor offences

In the US you can loose your licence for under age drinking or shooting across a road. Something similar for Ireland would be the idea. For littering or drunk and disorderly take the licence for a week etc make it a fixed penalty instead of taking up court time. It'd have a bigger deterrent affect than the usual donation to the poor box for minor offences

Considering that most Americans are able to have a driving license 5 years before can legally drink then the idea would work for that issue in Ireland it's almost impossible to have a full license before you can drink. Under EU law (but not irish jurisprudence) the removal of a license cannot be done by anyone other than a judge and can't be an administrative function, but the removal for a short time maybe ok i.e. a week or so as that may not be seen as a penalty. But I don't think many people in Ireland would see a week of no driving as a serious imposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Zaidan also refuses to accept drink taken as a mitigating factor, imposes sentence for tiny amounts of weed and believes that 'if you come to this country you should follow the rules'.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/woman-fined-over-athy-horseplay-1.1070742
    http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/local/man-questions-district-court-but-is-jailed-1-1940175

infosys wrote: »
    Considering that most Americans are able to have a driving license 5 years before can legally drink then the idea would work for that issue in Ireland it's almost impossible to have a full license before you can drink. Under EU law (but not irish jurisprudence) the removal of a license cannot be done by anyone other than a judge and can't be an administrative function, but the removal for a short time maybe ok i.e. a week or so as that may not be seen as a penalty. But I don't think many people in Ireland would see a week of no driving as a serious imposition.

You don't have to be driving to loose your licence, once your under age and the police catch you drinking then you loose it. It's more the fact that non motoring offences can lead to the removal of a drivers licence

The laws can be changed and the EU has already ruled that driving is a privilege so I can't see it being a major issue to temporarily suspend peoples licences.

If they have to pay for taxis, use public transport or take time off work it would be and it doesn't have to be a week, it could be a longer and longer the more minor offences one commits till your permanently banned. Don't forget that in the UK you can go to jail for breaking an ASBO

cant you stilll drive if you were banned but it is under appeal?
    what if you had accident with no licence,but other driver agreed to sort it between themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Zaidan also refuses to accept drink taken as a mitigating factor, imposes sentence for tiny amounts of weed and believes that 'if you come to this country you should follow the rules'.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/local/man-questions-district-court-but-is-jailed-1-1940175

sounds like he is a decent judge ...enforcing the law !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bollox, that's proper order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

The swords judge was called Delap, his daughter was killed by joyriders over 20 years ago so he nailed them all to the wall for unauthorised taking of MPV!!!!!

Minimum of 500€ fine and 4 points on any future licence for no insurance/licence. Not sure bout the drunk driving, prob a suspended sentence, depends on judge!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Irrelevant if the guy is driving without licence and insurance

ted1 wrote: »
    Bollox, that's proper order

yeah lets throw them all in jail.that will make them not do it again

You don't have to be driving to loose your licence, once your under age and the police catch you drinking then you loose it. It's more the fact that non motoring offences can lead to the removal of a drivers licence

The laws can be changed and the EU has already ruled that driving is a privilege so I can't see it being a major issue to temporarily suspend peoples licences.

If they have to pay for taxis, use public transport or take time off work it would be and it doesn't have to be a week, it could be a longer and longer the more minor offences one commits till your permanently banned. Don't forget that in the UK you can go to jail for breaking an ASBO

As I said a temporary suspension a matter if weeks is allowed under EU law any thing longer is not, Irish case law says driving is a Privilage EU law does not Malige v France and Escoubet v Belgium.

I personally don't think it would be easy to implement nor in any way would short bans stop offending for underage drinking or litter and as I pointed out under the European Convention on Human rights any long term removal of a licence can not be performed by any body other than a court.

yeah lets throw them all in jail.that will make them not do it again

Better to have some kind of punishment system than letting people GUILTY of crimes walk the street!! At least they won't do it again while their in a prison!! Law and order will prevail at one point or another!!!!

kidneyfan wrote: »

Brilliant cases!

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Better to have some kind of punishment system than letting people GUILTY of crimes walk the street!! At least they won't do it again while their in a prison!! Law and order will prevail at one point or another!!!!

Durkheim's theory of a society of saints is interesting. If law and order is too efficient crime of a less serious nature is taken to be more serious by society. I can only hope that one day multiple exclamation-marks will be a capital crime. :pac:

Durkheim's theory of a society of saints is interesting. If law and order is too efficient crime of a less serious nature is taken to be more serious by society. I can only hope that one day multiple exclamation-marks will be a capital crime. :pac:

Have no idea who Durkheim is so please excuse me! Glad I didn't misspell anything or misplace a comma!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Guys Guys this is the green isle of Eire. It's ok he will be grand he won't see the inside it's only if you don't pay your tv licence he'll be fine....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

ashleyhere wrote: »
    A couple of days ago a relative was stopped and was breathalysed which he failed. Driving daughter's car. Not insured to drive her car and never held a driving licence. Second time he has been done. Total idiot. What's the worst that will happen to him.

he might get jail but in all honestly he won't have to serve it just appeal it. but he is going to be looking at serious time off the road that will all depend when the last offence was, he will also get a huge fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ashleyhere

It was over 20 years since he was last caught. Then he had a provisional licence. He needs a good slap from the judge. It will be a relief to his family if he never drives again. He is a chronic alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I much prefer multiple exclamation marks at the end to "hahahaha".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

hahahaha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I heard Judge Zaidan is.. unique ;)

Advertisement