Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian help!

Options
  • 29-06-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys, long time visitor for information, but first time poster!

Here's my problem. I'm a 23 year old guy and recently asked out a girl that I know on a date. The problem is that she is very strictly vegetarian and I have never been out with a vegetarian before. Being a voracious meat eater myself I don't know any good vegetarian option restaurant!

We'll be in Dublin city, preferably North side because she lives much nearer there, but anywhere will do! Best veggie food you know of! :P

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

If you like Indian Medina on Mary St is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Mongolian BBQ in Temple Bar, Delhi O'Deli on Moore St, or Govindas on Middle Abbey Street would be my favourites! A Quick google should bring up menus for all 3! Good luck on your date!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

gillapino wrote: »
    Mongolian BBQ in Temple Bar, Delhi O'Deli on Moore St, or Govindas on Middle Abbey Street would be my favourites! A Quick google should bring up menus for all 3! Good luck on your date!

Maybe not the Mongolian BBQ. They cook everything on the same hot plate so if she is strict she may not be impressed.
    Maybe the Farm on Dawson St. Have a really nice menu and promote organic foods too. Haven't been in it but I've heard mostly good things.
    My veggie friend tried Govindas and wasn't too impressed but that was nearly 2 years ago so things might have improved since.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Delhi O'Dehli has nice food but it's not somewhere I'd go on a date. It looks like a take away place with cheap tables. Later on though, assuming it all goes well, it would be a great spot for lunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

101 Talbot Street has very good vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. If she's really strict about it though, i.e. vegan, I don't think it would suit her.

If you're willing to try Korean-Japanese, Kimchi Restaurant/Hophouse on Parnell Street has a very wide selection of vegetarian, vegan and carnivorous dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I would second cornucopia, another option is govindas. If you want to do something a bit different http://seomraspraoi.org/ does a vegan meal on Tuesdays/Wednesday for a modest donation which goes towards the upkeep of the space, I haven't been but I've heard good things, you could probably give them a ring or Facebook them to see what they're serving this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

For a date most nice places will have good vegetarian options. How strictly vegetarian is she? (Like will she not eat parmesan cheese etc.).

If she likes pasta Italian could be a good option (San Lorenzos or Terre Madre), or even Middle eastern/mediterranean (Cedar Tree or Coppinger Row). There's been a few places mentioned here but they're not great for a date!

YumCha wrote: »
    There's been a few places mentioned here but they're not great for a date!

Depends what you look for in a date, which brings up a valid question, does the OP have to go out for dinner? What about an activity and a drink? Or a picnic? The reason I would suggest vegetarian restaurants is non vegetarian chefs can miss out on things like stock and cheeses, or use the same oil/hotplate for vegetarian and meat dishes, we don't know how strict this girl is about food, the OP should find that out before date 2, life could get a lot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

My Fiance is a veggie too get out now while you still can!! Its so awkward trying to find somewhere to eat!! The Hairy Lemon has a couple of nice veggie options. I've learnt to make a mean veggie spag bol if you need to know that at some point in the future!!

EDIT: I live on the Northside too not many options out this way! Also am starting to question where my Fiance is going for the evening next week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Darwin's have a good veggie menu too and do top quality steaks as well

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I would second cornucopia, another option is govindas. If you want to do something a bit different http://seomraspraoi.org/ does a vegan meal on Tuesdays/Wednesday for a modest donation which goes towards the upkeep of the space, I haven't been but I've heard good things, you could probably give them a ring or Facebook them to see what they're serving this week.

fyi, Seomra usually post up what they're serving that week on their FB page.

e.g.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=484844231592005&set=a.119992314743867.22483.100001992984705&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rainv1

Thanks guys! I shall look into everywhere you suggested and see hat comes of it. She's not a vegan or anything (uses milk, cheese etc) but strict in that she flat out disagrees with eating animals. I'll keep you all informed!

Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I find The Millstone on Dame Street very good as a mixed option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

As a veggie, Darwins is really good and a bit nicer/more romantic than some of the recommendations here that are a bit canteen like (Govindas, Cornucopia (where you might end up sharing your table ffs).

The Kimchi/Hophouse is great but not exactly romantic either. I haven't been yet but have heard some good things about Soulful Bistro in Stoneybatter - they do veggie options but it does have death on offer too. Le Bon Crubeen on Talbot Street is nice too and has a few veggie options.

rainv1 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I shall look into everywhere you suggested and see hat comes of it. She's not a vegan or anything (uses milk, cheese etc) but strict in that she flat out disagrees with eating animals. I'll keep you all informed!

Thanks again :)

Must warn you on that, not all cheeses are veggie, many have animal rennet in them, she may or may not eat those.

Advertisement