Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lodge, Woodlands - For sale!

Options
  • 29-06-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Well, it's up for sale now. It'd be interesting to see how long it is on the market, and if someone can find a use for this building with a business that can overcome its previous woes.

http://www.lisney.com/Commercial/The-Lodge-Greystones-CoWicklow.aspx

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

An Avoca might work. Shop downstairs. Cafe upstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Footfall was always a problem for this building. Maybe it's time to look at an alternate use rather than a food/restaurant establishment. Would it suit office use?

I also think the aspect of parking being slightly away doesn't help matters either for retail. Who owns the park and ride car park anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote: »
    Footfall was always a problem for this building. Maybe it's time to look at an alternate use rather than a food/restaurant establishment. Would it suit office use?

I also think the aspect of parking being slightly away doesn't help matters either for retail. Who owns the park and ride car park anyway?

Wicklow County Council I think - if it was Irish Rail, they'd be charging for parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Footfall was always a problem for this building.
    Described as being "on the edge of Greystones" in the brochure, but with "town centre zoning". And with the new Aldi opening soon beyond the swimming pool, I could imagine the "Greystones main street" area extending a lot further south in the future than it does now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

recedite wrote: »
    Described as being "on the edge of Greystones" in the brochure, but with "town centre zoning". And with the new Aldi opening soon beyond the swimming pool, I could imagine the "Greystones main street" area extending a lot further south in the future than it does now.

Nothing new, there are people that consider Charlesland as being in Greystones.

• Advertisement

Here we go again...Greystones is a place, not a townland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am not arguing that either way, just illustrating that the description sounds fair when you consider how the "Greystones area" has been interpreted by many in recent years.

recedite wrote: »

The local area plan (draft 2013-2019) only shows 'town centre zoning' as far as the council compound. Sure, the south beach car park is town centre zoning too as is the park and ride car park. But once past the council compound/Woodlands Lodge sites, it's then 'employment' zoning at the IDA lands.

Interestingly, everything on the east side of the train line is also town centre use.

Anywhere else outside of this area is called Neighbourhood Centre, i.e. Charlesland Centre, Aldi, McGovern Estates with land beside rugby club, Tesco, Lidl. These are little clusters to serve the convenience of the neighbouring dwellers. But still people from Charlesland will drive to Lidl for the convenience of cheaper shopping!

2011 wrote: »
    I am not arguing that either way, just illustrating that the description sounds fair when you consider how the "Greystones area" has been interpreted by many in recent years.

It is an interesting debate, with plenty of opinions from locals (new and old)...it is not something that will have an outcome that can be agreed upon. :)

It is an interesting debate, with plenty of opinions from locals (new and old)...it is not something that will have an outcome that can be agreed upon. :)
    Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Those terms are not mutually exclusive. At the same time I am not arguing either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

From looking at the photo, I think it looks great as a studio. But maybe that's just me looking at it's potential in a different way...
    Although, having said that there are a lot of studios in Greystones and in very close proximity too.
    I hope the buyer does breathe a new lease of life into the building (whatever it ends up to be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The local area plan (draft 2013-2019) only shows 'town centre zoning' as far as the council compound. Sure, the south beach car park is town centre zoning too as is the park and ride car park. But once past the council compound/Woodlands Lodge sites, it's then 'employment' zoning at the IDA lands.

Interestingly, everything on the east side of the train line is also town centre use...
    I don't think you are reading the map right. East of the railway is "open space" shown in green colour. Town centre, shown in red, is being extended down as far as the big field opposite Shoreline, which is zoned "E1 employment". The Lodge building comes into the "south beach action plan; AP4" with town centre zoning.
    10.5 AP4: SOUTH BEACH ACTION PLAN
    An Action Plan is proposed for an area in the vicinity of South Beach. The lands are zoned for
    town centre uses. The objective of the Action Plan will be to generate a framework for the re34
    development of the area, incorporating the transport interchange function and ‘park and ride’
    facilities. Key considerations in preparing the Action Plan will be:
    • Development of lands as an extension to the established town centre with a mix of retail,
    offices and public buildings, with residential uses interspersed to command public spaces and
    the South Beach.
    • Provision of active frontage to Mill Road.
    • Maximise views from the development of the coast and sea.
    • Improvements of the security and amenity of pedestrian access to South Beach
    • Provision of the majority of car-parking in underground or part underground, under podium or
    multi-storey format.
    • Provision of a ‘park-and-ride’ site of an appropriate scale.
    • Any development proposal shall include a public playground and outdoor adult gymnasium,
    of appropriate size, in consultation with the Community and Enterprise Section of the Council.
    These facilities shall be located within reasonable access of South Beach.
    Any proposal shall have regard to the objectives set out for the adjoining E1 site and shall include
    proposals for pedestrian/transportation linkages between the sites, and share a common design
    principle in terms of mass, bulk, orientation etc of buildings.

There's nothing wrong with my map reading ability. Perhaps I should re-phrase my sentence: Everything considered as the built environment to the east of the railway line between the north and south beaches is zoned as TC (in red). Of course the green strip is open space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sinkadinka

I think a decent medical centre that opens weekends and not restricted to office hours. I know the primary care centre is planned for the harbour but i reckon this building would be perfect for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

A gentleman's club.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

Primary care centre was certainly planned, but thats as far as it goes

Advertisement