Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics and Finance vs Mathematics in TCD

Options
  • 30-06-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I'm currently trying to fill out my cao form and I am torn between doing maths (TR031) in trinity or economics and finance (DN671) in UCD.

If anyone has any experience or knows anything about either of the two courses I would really appreciate some feedback to help in making my decision.

My main priority is which course would offer me the greatest employment opportunities in areas such as actuary, insurance, banking, analytics etc.

which would be considered 'the better' course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pawblo Pugcasso

beeelo85 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently trying to fill out my cao form and I am torn between doing maths (TR031) in trinity or economics and finance (DN671) in UCD.

If anyone has any experience or knows anything about either of the two courses I would really appreciate some feedback to help in making my decision.

My main priority is which course would offer me the greatest employment opportunities in areas such as actuary, insurance, banking, analytics etc.

If by "better" you mean which offers the better employment prospects, I'd have to say Economics and Finance. Most of the Econ & FI grads get jobs pretty quickly in banking/insurance firms.

I'm not doing either course (I'm doing Commerce) but the reputation of Econ&Fi with employers is really good. The exposure to economics that the course offers would look good on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

beeelo85 wrote: »

I'd say Maths tbh, Econ & Fin is a great course and is well regarded but straight maths would open more doors and give you a better chance to show off your abilities.

You'd probably have a few less financey things early on in the course but I wouldnt really be under the impression that employers would particularly care if you've done x module if you have a first or a 2.1 in a maths degree. That and maths provides you with other options like studying maths as a postgrad or even theoretical physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Go with maths.

I'm an Econs and fin grad from NUIM. Employment is much easier if you've got good work experience.

But with actuary as a choice of profession go with maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beeelo85

thanks very much for all your feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

What about Maths in UCD? Or Economics in Trinity? Or even BAFS in UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

If you do eventually want to be an actuary I would definitely recommend BAFS in UCD, I've just finished it.

Even if you don't want to do Actuary but thats the kind of thing you're into, its a really good course.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭NU8

Also be aware that you can now take a year out after second year of Ec&fi to do an internship. Loads from my class did it and found it very worthwhile. Also gave people a foot in the door for a job.

Advertisement