Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for University

• 30-06-2013 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

My writing isn't the best, I'm wondering for university do you have to do thing the old school ways, pens etc, or if you can use a laptop to take notes/do tests etc.

If someone could help me, University isn't a while for me but I'm curious

- cfc.forever

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

My writing isn't the best, I'm wondering for university do you have to do thing the old school ways, pens etc, or if you can use a laptop to take notes/do tests etc.

If someone could help me, University isn't a while for me but I'm curious

- cfc.forever

Notes- Your own choice.
    Assignments- Laptop.
    Exams- Pen.

Generally (I'm in NUIG)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Assignments are usually electronic and exams are usually handwritten (even computer science) in more or less every course. Notes depend on the lecturer and course. Lectures with a lot of mathematics or graphics (graphs, chemistry mechanisms e.t.c.) are impossible to keep up with on a computer unless you have a decent tablet and can draw.

Even then, some lecturers don't like anyone using tablets/phones/laptops during their lectures because they consider them a distraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP wait till college as you can usually get discounts for laptops from your college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

hfallada wrote: »
    OP wait till college as you can usually get discounts for laptops from your college.

What kinda discount do you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

hfallada wrote: »

Yeah this is very interesting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Apple give 12% or so, Lenovo about 15%.

It's all on campus.ie, there's nothing secretive about it.

Was hoping to get a Mac :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

yournerd wrote: »

There unbelievably expensive, are they worth the money?

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    There unbelievably expensive, are they worth the money?

I hope so but I wanna renew my iPhone too :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I wish I had a paying job so I could afford some of these things haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Unless you have a very clear reason for doing this I highly advise against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

I use my laptop for my notes and my assignments. It saves me time me a shed of time during revision. But that's my system :rolleyes:

Worth noting that some lecturers will not allow laptops in their lectures. While some of us will genuinely take notes during the lectures, many just spend their time on social media websites. Lecturers realize this distracts others and so, ask people to close their laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I want an iPhone! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Unless you have a very clear reason for doing this I highly advise against it.

Never argue with a person who strongly believes in the Apple products.
    While you might provide a sound and rational argument for other brands, they will just recite Apple specs back at you with that blank stare.
    It's an no-win situation.

What's wring with apple products? What other laptops are good? I had a Sony and the battery on it went after 1 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I've had my Toshiba laptop for 3 years and it's still flying on all cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

What's wring with apple products? What other laptops are good? I had a Sony and the battery on it went after 1 year.
    Nothing wrong per say but unless you need one for a specific reason it will infuriate you to no end.

One because every piece of software you may need, you will need to find an Apple counterpart (which may not exist) since the vast majority of programs are wrote only for windows.

Two because its marked up by premium pricing and every piece of software is marked up by 30% by Apple.

Three because other laptops are easier to repair and often hve superior specs for a lower price.

Toshiba, Samsung, Acer, HP and Dell are all good names

Advertisement