Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler in garage?

• 30-06-2013 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

we are getting a massive extension done and were looking at putting our oil boiler in the garage with a chimney out the roof but a friend said you cannot put an oil boiler in a house.

Is that correct? Will it have to be external to the house?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You can put a boiler in a garage but certain conditions must be met.

The flue must be if the "room sealed/balanced flue" type, i.e. must be taking its air directly from outside and not from the garage.
    "Most" boilers take that flues go directly up through the roof are of the open flue type & are not room sealed.
    You must also ensure the boiler has protection from mechanical damage as it is a garage & cars, etc. reversing into tight spaces could severely damage a boiler or more importantly damage it's fuel line.
    Are you just moving your old boiler or installed a new one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

I think a seperate compartment ventilated from the ouside is only allowed for conventional flue boilers in garages .

been doing it this way for years. not sure if ireland allows it. but i remember doing the oftec and it was allowed in the uk. someone upto date on the regs may confirm this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

The boiler will be old (it is six months old) and will be moved into a new room. It has a chimney going out of it and out the wall - currently in a boiler room attached to the house with a chimney.

It will be in a garage in a self contained area with a chimney/ flue (I am probably using the incorrect term) coming out of it and through the roof.

I really appreciate the feed back.

bp wrote: »

The boiler will be old (it is six months old) and will be moved into a new room. It has a chimney going out of it and out the wall - currently in a boiler room attached to the house with a chimney.

It will be in a garage in a self contained area with a chimney/ flue (I am probably using the inc rrect term) coming out of it and through the roof.

I really appreciate the feed back.

if the flue goes thru the roof it will be conventional. going out the wall at present thru a balanced flue.

it needs to have its own seperate compartment with ventilation from the outside.

however only flue sealed boilers are permitted in ireland in garages. i have fitted them in a seperate contained room in a garage. just check prior with the regs or someone else here maybe upto date on the regs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Perfect,

thank you Corkplumber

• Advertisement

bp wrote: »
    Perfect,

thank you Corkplumber

no problem. just check the regs. i fit conventinal flues in garages by creating a seperate roomwith ventilation from outside. BUT CHECK THE REGS FIRST.

Open flue appliances in a compartment is allowed but ventilation must be provided.
    The allowance is 550mm2 per kw boiler output at high level & 1,100mm2 per kw boiler output at low level.
    If the house is pre-2006 you can ignore the first 5kw of the boiler output for adventitious air. If after 2006, then full allowance is given.
    So a house prior to 2006 with a 26kw boiler would be 21kw x 550 = 11,550mm2 high level & 23,100mm2 low level.
    So 5" opening high level & 7" opening low level.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Irish building regs part J:Section 1 General: 1.2
    Any appliance in a bath or shower room or a private garage must be of the room sealed type.

No reference is made to 'compartments' (what your doing would not be considered a 'room' it would be a compartment) in a garage, CF appliances are not allowed, simple.

Compartment definition: enclosed space within a building specially designed or adapted to house an appliance

I think a seperate compartment ventilated from the ouside is only allowed for conventional flue boilers in garages .

been doing it this way for years. not sure if ireland allows it. but i remember doing the oftec and it was allowed in the uk. someone upto date on the regs may confirm this.

I was answering this query about compartments.

iv fitted them on architects jobs. the last 2 architects jobs i did was as follows..

a door was created to the back of the garage and solid walls built to create room. so it was part of garage. but you could only enter from outside.

the other job. was a room made in the garage. it was a sealed room with fire door that would close, even if you forgot to close it. the room was sealed and fire slabbed. air came from outside.

• Advertisement

iv fitted them on architects jobs. the last 2 architects jobs i did was as follows..

a door was created to the back of the garage and solid walls built to create room. so it was part of garage. but you could only enter from outside.

the other job. was a room made in the garage. it was a sealed room with fire door that would close, even if you forgot to close it. the room was sealed and fire slabbed.

Would have easier to room seal the appliance! Compartments still need a lot ventilation for combustion & appliance heat dissipation.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Would have easier to room seal the appliance! Compartments still need a lot ventilation for combustion & appliance heat dissipation.

to be honest shane. if i was asked. id tell them to upgrade to room sealed appliance or fit outside with a balanced flue (if kero).

I had no influence on them jobs other than fitting the appliance. on one of them jobs was the first time i even worked on a tank below ground level.

however if i was to be honest I have myself fitted cf oil boilers in garages over the years and created a seperate room. with the clients agreement of course.

sorry i should have added. the main thing is to notify your insurance provider. tell them you dont store petrol in your garage or have petrol fumes in the garage.

most garages in this country are not fit to be the purpose of a garage anyway. you would want to be houdini to get in and out of your car. i cant see why uk allows it and we dont.

however building a seperate area within the garage and consent from home insurance provider. may not be good enough for the regs. but it would be for me.

I have seen an insurance provider allow an oil tank fitted in a garage directly above the boiler in a stillage because there was a wheel type fire valve fitted!!!

It's the regulations that would be debated in a court of law after the accident, not the he said she said of what's thought to be ok.

If its in the garage, regardless of how it's installed if its CF its clearly not allowed. If there was a fireproof comparent option, it would be included in the regulations.

DGOBS wrote: »
    I have seen an insurance provider allow an oil tank fitted in a garage directly above the boiler in a stillage because there was a wheel type fire valve fitted!!!
    now i wouldnt even contemplate that:eek:

the best thing to do is create a door from the back of the garage . build it up with blocks and fire seal against adjoining building and fit a loover door. best to keep within the regs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

That is exactly what we have. Boiler with sealed flue. oil Tank on metal supports almost directly above. Engineer said that its not recommended but as long as there is a '30min' wall between the two then it should pass standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

Is their not an issue here with the oil boiler flue going so high up, condensation and the like ???
    As far as I'm aware and I'm open to correction on this 1 but you could be looking at € 500 + just for the flue
    Cc

stooge wrote: »
    That is exactly what we have. Boiler with sealed flue. oil Tank on metal supports almost directly above. Engineer said that its not recommended but as long as there is a '30min' wall between the two then it should pass standards?

An oil tank stored within a compartment, but it must have a lot of criteria to meet standards & possible insurance "get out" clauses!
    It must have a 30 minutes fire protection, this means from the roof & door also not just the walls. You are not trying to contain a fire from the tank but to protect the tank from a fire originating in the house or garage, etc.
    The door must be self closing & 30 minutes fire door & frame with fire seals.
    The door must be openable from the inside.
    The compartment must be ventilated high & low to outside.
    Probably a couple of other conditions but would need to check regs.

Hmm. Thought it was a 60min fire barrier, also the self closing door must be openable from the inside, chamber must have 600mm all around for inspection, internal light must be a fire proof well switched from outside, the list goes on and on........opps dont forget bunded, fire valve body within the chamber,

These are base on BS5410 Part1, but only regs here are part J
    Remember Oftec is a code of practice not regulation

Don't you Hmmm.... me, that's my gig! Lol

I did say I was quoting from memory & my memory ain't what it used to me.

• Advertisement

hmmmmmm...mine from memory too!

but ala part J

Chamber - a fully enclosed ventilated space,
    bounded by non-combustible 60 minutes fire
    resisting construction (see Technical Guidance
    Document B), including a self closing fire door
    wholly above the bund level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

shane0007 wrote: »
    Don't you Hmmm.... me, that's my gig! Lol

I did say I was quoting from memory & my memory ain't what it used to me.

Ooh that told you fight fight

hmmmmmm...mine from memory too!

Ah, but OFTEC guidelines would be considered as industry best practice & where an Irish regulation gives no guidance, we would need to look at industry best practice.

So nurrr....

Not at all, BS5410 Part one would be used, as it is the standard the Oftec derives from (or part 2 for >45kw)

Not sure of your point, BS is UK. If Ireland does not have standard, OFTEC In Ireland is taken as best practice. OFTEC got that standard from UK standard. UK standard is not the reg here but you know what I mean.

No, BS standard would be taken as an equivalent if there is no IS standard, it's a legally defined document, Oftec is just 'good advice' on how to achieve it.

Using a BS standard would be commonplace in an irish court of law

Lol, ok you win. I know when I am beaten. :( licking wounds :(

all I say is...hmmmmmmmmm

Oh yeah, beat me down & then steal my gigs, nice...
    Hmmm.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement