Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal strip window (like a hatch between rooms) - anyone know who can design/build

• 30-06-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,
    Between our kitchen area and our sitting room we're thinking of putting a small strip window (above sink), just to have a visual connection. I'd like this window made with a nice timber frame so it looks well both side.
    Maybe even have it in sliding glass so it can be opened.
    Its only about 1 meter wide by 30cm high.

We have no idea who to approach with our idea. Any advice??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

It sounds like it's a service hatch you're looking for. But at a metre wide structural issues come into play. Is it a Block Wall or a Stud Wall.
    You could have the Hatch or window made up in a joinery shop with two half panes of Laminated glass sliding past each other. This could then be fitted in one go and at the same time as the opening is cut in the Wall. If it's a block wall you will need to have a concrete head put in place to support the weight for a metre opening, After the Hatch is in place.
    You may also have some plastering to be repaired on each side of the Hatch after the insulation. This will depend largely on how good the installer is.
    Overall not a big or difficult job.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

sky6 wrote: »
    It sounds like it's a service hatch you're looking for. But at a metre wide structural issues come into play. Is it a Block Wall or a Stud Wall.
    You could have the Hatch or window made up in a joinery shop with two half panes of Laminated glass sliding past each other. This could then be fitted in one go and at the same time as the opening is cut in the Wall. If it's a block wall you will need to have a concrete head put in place to support the weight for a metre opening, After the Hatch is in place.
    You may also have some plastering to be repaired on each side of the Hatch after the insulation. This will depend largely on how good the installer is.
    Overall not a big or difficult job.

Big thanks for the advice sky6. Do you know any such joinery shop? I'm based in south Dublin. I've attached a pic to give you an idea. The opening can be easily changed to whatever size we like. We originally created this opening to form an alcove shelf from living room side but we are now seriously considering the pass-through window idea as its directly over the sink area on kitchen side. I like sound of your suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

A Picture saves a thousand words. You already have the Lintel in place in the Wall. that's the long Concrete piece over the opening. This makes the Job as straight forward as it can be, as the Hatch can be fitted before the plastering is done. These Hatches were popular in the seventies but then people started taking down the whole wall to open the space up and create Kitchen Diners.

A good Carpenter could also build it for you. But by using a Joiner you will get a better finish as the joints are cut by machine.
    I knew of one Joiner in Terenure if he is still there. Are you near there.
    You can pm me for the details if you wish.

Advertisement