Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Cheating Triathletes - Kilkee Draftfest. What to do?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Would love to know how many regular drafters are reading this thread...

0....Did you not know that anybody who uses boards is whiter than white and would never, ever draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

zico10 wrote: »
    0....Did you not know that anybody who uses boards is whiter than white and would never, ever draft?

^^
    7nTnr.png?1309330974

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Jupiter36 wrote: »
    How did they cheat in the swim?

Straight swim up to a buoy in the middle of the canal, turn that keeping it on your left and head to the steps. A good few just swam straight to the steps and saved themselves about a minute or so. Screw them, all you can do is control your own race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

So in the first triathlon of the year today there's a long straight stretch on the cycle, over a km, I see two lads doing up and overs, blatantly, tucked right in behind each other. I catch them and pass them, ask them if they are enjoying drafting. Pass a Marshall later, shout at him about drafters coming.
    One of the drafters passes me on the run, I'm not happy.
    Meet the Marshall later, ask him did he bust anyone, he says he gave a warning to a group of four and then busted one of them later.
    Not the guy who passed me.
    <snip>
    No effect on me but it's cheating

Why bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Green&Red wrote: »
    So in the first triathlon of the year today there's a long straight stretch on the cycle, over a km, I see two lads doing up and overs, blatantly, tucked right in behind each other. I catch them and pass them, ask them if they are enjoying drafting. Pass a Marshall later, shout at him about drafters coming.
    Meet the Marshall later, ask him did he bust anyone, he says he gave a warning to a group of four and then busted one of them later.
    <snip>

Why bother!

Drafting very annoying. We're u satisfied with your performance? Any improvements on last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

I remember Athy a good few years ago. I was out the front after the swim and was getting passed by loads of drafters. At the turn I seen a group of at least 15-20 coming the other way.

I was extremely annoyed by this stage. Marshalls ignoring me etc.

So in my rage (and it was rage) I sat up as I seen them approaching and proceeded to weave back and forward. I got such abuse for dangerous riding. When I accused them all of being cheating xxxxxxxxxxx they told me they couldn't help it.

Held them up for probably about a minute. They weren't happy - I wasn't happy. Not a great race at all. At the end of day only one person wins. Normally the drafters wont get on the podium and the rest of us just compete against ourselves.

I have resigned myself to just doing what I want to do and get the satisfaction from my own performance. You are wasting your energy thinking about changing it - it wont happen.

I accepted after that day there was no point in getting worked up about it - unless of course they beat you to a prize and then it warrants a good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mr Tango wrote: »
    I remember Athy a good few years ago. I was out the front after the swim and was getting passed by loads of drafters. At the turn I seen a group of at least 15-20 coming the other way.

I was extremely annoyed by this stage. Marshalls ignoring me etc.

So in my rage (and it was rage) I sat up as I seen them approaching and proceeded to weave back and forward. I got such abuse for dangerous riding. When I accused them all of being cheating xxxxxxxxxxx they told me they couldn't help it.

Held them up for probably about a minute. They weren't happy - I wasn't happy. Not a great race at all. At the end of day only one person wins. Normally the drafters wont get on the podium and the rest of us just compete against ourselves.

I have resigned myself to just doing what I want to do and get the satisfaction from my own performance. You are wasting your energy thinking about changing it - it wont happen.

I accepted after that day there was no point in getting worked up about it - unless of course they beat you to a prize and then it warrants a good rant.

Ride hard, get to the front in a head wind. Have a slash. Petty but satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Green&Red wrote: »
    <snip>

Why bother!

Did you report his number to the referee when you finished? I would have. Unless we all speak up and out nothing is going to be done about it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again TI need to invest in 4 or 5 helmet mounted cams and circulate them around the races. Bike marshals shoot the video and a retrospective review of any incident will be evidence enough.

AKW wrote: »
    Did you report his number to the referee when you finished? I would have. Unless we all speak up and out nothing is going to be done about it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again TI need to invest in 4 or 5 helmet mounted cams and circulate them around the races. Bike marshals shoot the video and a retrospective review of any incident will be evidence enough.

All this assumes that TI actually *want* to do the extra work to catch drafters or are they happy that given the short retention rate of triathletes that in the end it doesn't really matter? That by the time someone figures out the problem they are on the way out anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Equip the bike marshalls with some low voltage tasers. Problem solved.

• Advertisement

I spoke to the marshall after the race, he said that he saw four of them in a bunch and shouted at them to stop drafting. After that he moved further up the road and caught one of them.
    I didn't see the point of getting into a row but why weren't they pinged in the first instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Mr Tango wrote: »

I cycled past that group of four on Sat and paid no notice to them whatsoever. I have given out to people in the past for drafting and to be honest it only detracts from my enjoyment of the race getting worked up about others. Anyway I made enough mistakes in the pool and in T2 to fret about :)

The race was extremely well run and marshaled, well done Trilogy. There was of course absolutely no excuse for drafting, with only 30-40 per wave and loads of empty road to cycle on..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They can't be doing a very good job of drafting if people are passing them.

They werent particularly strong on the bike but had plenty left for the run

The lengths some will go to to justify their actions and make them feel good about cheating eh Ed?

What everyone should sit back and not comment on cheats? Nothing is being done about drafting so of course people are going to shout at those that blatantly draft in races.

The fact you have never gotten done for drafting does not mean you are not a drafter. Your extremely aggressive (deleted) response to Green&Red speaks volumes - "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I used to have a football manager who used to say "if you're not giving away frees you're not marking tight enough."

Maybe that's the point we're missing with drafting. Maybe the skill is doing it as much as possible without getting caught. I don't like the idea, but it's certainly caught on in other sports.

There's a lot of bashing of race directors and TI here. Out of interest, are there many more penaliased at similar races in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

drafting ed
    I have no idea who you are but i know of 2 other people that have also witnessed green and red s point of view.

If you would like me to ask them to share their point of view with Ti I would be happy to oblige (please PM me the officials e mail adresse you are dealing with)

Drafting penalties are a judgement call.
    Meaning appeals for additional penalties or reduction in them cannot be made after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

half challenge Barcelona incident a few years ago where some 200 people got dqued after the race and after the given time frames for protests etc,etc)

peter kern wrote: »
    half challenge Barcelona incident a few years ago where some 200 people got dqued after the race and after the given time frames for protests etc,etc)

Respect. Only way to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

peter kern wrote: »

I wonder how may would have lodged a protest costing the equivalent of 50 USD, on a judgement call.

Wonder how many would have been successful. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Next post with direct finger pointing or aggressive direct/indirect nature will result with bans.

Advertisement