Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toll Tag

Options
  • 30-06-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

I've been using a toll tag in my car and driving [at 50kph] through the right hand lane at the toll barriers.

Just got a new [to us] campervan and have 2 questions:

1. can a 6 m. van use the right lane?

2. does the system pick up the tag signal OK when the van has a luton bed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

JonMac wrote: »
    I've been using a toll tag in my car and driving [at 50kph] through the right hand lane at the toll barriers.

Just got a new [to us] campervan and have 2 questions:

1. can a 6 m. van use the right lane?

2. does the system pick up the tag signal OK when the van has a luton bed?

Thanks.

A 6m van can't use the right lane as there is generally a height barrier - all lanes will take a tag.

Us commercial van drivers put our tags low down in the centre of the windscreen , if you do like wise you'll be ok with the Luton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

If you're using a tolltag make sure its not charging you as a commercial, my friend had this problem and it took about 4 registered letters to soft it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

Oh! When I went online to order the tag I had choices of a car or small commercial.
    It isn't a car so I went for small commercial.
    Should I have selected car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Oh! When I went online to order the tag I had choices of a car or small commercial.

Never ever refer to your camper, in any way, as being "Commercial".

Regardless of size it is a private vehicle!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

You could be in for a world of pain. Toll tag providers in this country are really difficult to deal with and making changes to an account are excruciating.

A motorhome tolls at the private vehicle rate of around €2, a light goods vehicle at around €4.30-€4.90 depending on location around the country.

Even when you have the correct tag for the vehicle, you will often be charged at the wrong rate at an individual toll, so you'll have to go back an query items for the first while until they send your licence plate number to shannon to get the correct vehicle classification.

For example, I had a new van going through some tolls at the light goods vehicle rate and through others at the heavy goods rate. It took a few months for them to set up an "auto-correct" on the bill where they give you back credits where the incorrect charge was applied.

Unless you are doing a lot of mileage or are using the M50 toll a lot, a toll tag in this country is not worth the trouble.
    Only IMHO, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Never ever refer to your camper, in any way, as being "Commercial".

Regardless of size it is a private vehicle!!.

You can add passenger to that, its a private passenger vehicle.............same as as car.
    It's often bigger that a car, unless it's based on an MPV sized vehicle like a Bongo etc., but that'd irrelevant.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

niloc1951 wrote: »
    You can add passenger to that, its a private passenger vehicle.............same as as car.
    It's often bigger that a car, unless it's based on an MPV sized vehicle like a Bongo etc., but that'd irrelevant.

Huh? don't all private vehicles carry passengers?:confused: evn if it's only one next to the driver.

Yes I know you could own your own, private, giant earth mover but that would be a Commercial vehicle not Private, even though it's privately owned. A lot of difference.

re size, that's why I said "regardless of size".

I think we're both getting slightly pedantic here:).

Advertisement