Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Student Accommodation - TCD

Options
  • 30-06-2013 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

I am looking at getting an apartment either a large 1 bed or 2 bed within walking distance to Trinity. I am a student and find all the nice ones wont accept students.

Is there a way around this? I would consider myself to be a very good tenant, always pay on time and leave the apartment spotless. I've got OCD so everything is always tidy & working. I've only ever rented in Canada and the landlord described us as the best tenants ever, when we moved in apartment was really untidy and he was busy cleaning it and I told him to leave it, we'd sort it out. He was genuinely surprised at how well kept it was when we moved out, we had replaced a few items and fixed dogey doors/windows.

Just getting a bit annoyed that people write me off purely because I'm a student.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How do you fund the rent? Do you work? If so, you work. Also, are you a first year, post-grad, doing a masters? Although most landlords don't like "1st years", if you work part time whilst doing a post-grad, it may put you in a different light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Competition for rentals in Dublin City is bonkers. The slightest 'reg flag' is going to put off potential land lords. Try a wanted ad here or Daft and have a reference handy from the previous land lord. You could offer up front rent or a larger deposit but beware of landlord and deposits. Unlike the US (I don't know about Canada) the LL is under no obligation to keep the deposit separate, forget interest bearing! It seems to be a semi common thing for LL to spend the deposit and them come up with every excuse not to give it back.

Don't limit yourself to Dublin 1/2 either. Stoneybatter/Smithfield in D7 are within easy walking distance of TCD as are all the Quayside apartments in D8. The areas have a bit of 'character' but then so do many places in D1/2. Don't write off D4 either there are some reasonably priced places there too.

Buses from D15 stop right outside TCD but tbh as a student I'd feel a bit isolated all the way out in Blanchardstown.

Probably best to say what you're studying, what year, and your budget. Someone will link ye to a decent place. Ranelagh is a nice place, not too far away on the bus, within walking distance of a few nice pubs, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

the_syco wrote: »
    How do you fund the rent? Do you work? If so, you work. Also, are you a first year, post-grad, doing a masters? Although most landlords don't like "1st years", if you work part time whilst doing a post-grad, it may put you in a different light?

I have my own business and have been saving up for the last while. Have the yearly rent/bills/spare cash saved up already. I am going into third year.
    Probably best to say what you're studying, what year, and your budget. Someone will link ye to a decent place. Ranelagh is a nice place, not too far away on the bus, within walking distance of a few nice pubs, etc.

I am studying Computer Science and Business in Trinity. Depending on the apartment I would be willing to spend up to €950 but ideally lower. I really would prefer to be within walking distance to Trinity if at all possible.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I have my own business
    Landlord asks what you do, just say "I work as X doing Y". Also, the student being near the end of the school year may lead the landlord to think "student" means you'll stay for about a month, and then leave when the term is over.
    Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I am studying Computer Science and Business in Trinity. Depending on the apartment I would be willing to spend up to €950 but ideally lower. I really would prefer to be within walking distance to Trinity if at all possible.
    By yourself, or with others?

If by yourself, you'll only get studio apartments for that sort of cash if you want "within short distance of Trinity". Be wary of paying by the week, as some months are 4.5 to 5 weeks long, and thus by the week would be dearer.

€850 for http://www.daft.ie/21338261 near Trinity (pretty sure there's an entrance at Pearse St for Trinity), and the landlord may let you sublet the single room for a bit of extra cash.

€885 for http://www.daft.ie/21355192 again near'ish to Trinity.

€850 for http://www.daft.ie/21355538 maybe 10 minutes from Trinity (I think it's where you see the red brick buildings next to where it says "Ship Street Little" at http://goo.gl/maps/CxzOa).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Landlord asks what you do, just say "I work as X doing Y". Also, the student being near the end of the school year may lead the landlord to think "student" means you'll stay for about a month, and then leave when the term is over.

Suppose that is an option. Don't want to hide the fact I am a student and then the landlord find out and get's stroppy. It's just annoying so many landlords are against all students instead of just the stupid ones.

By yourself, or with others?

If by yourself, you'll only get studio apartments for that sort of cash if you want "within short distance of Trinity". Be wary of paying by the week, as some months are 4.5 to 5 weeks long, and thus by the week would be dearer.

Probably by myself, although there might be two or three of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Well your a third year student so I shouldnt be a major issue. Most landlords only have problems with first and second year students. OP have you considered a house share with other tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 garlicmayo

Hi,

I have a double room to let in Blackrock. More info on the link below but would suit someone in late 20's/early 30's, mature student or young professional preferred. http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=725470

Located 2 minutes walk from Smurift, 3 minutes from Dart and central to Blackrock Village.

Thanks

Advertisement