Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing? (Mid-Year Edition)

• 30-06-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭

It's fair to say that the 3DS is getting most of my gaming time in the last few months (with games like Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider gathering dust, unfinished). Not likely to change in the next few weeks either, but Tiny Tina has done a good job of pulling me back to Borderlands 2 on the 360.

Animal Crossing New Leaf has been out for just over 2 weeks, and I've put 39 hours into it.

Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo is a great 3DS port of an iOS game with tons of levels and challenges (gets bloody hard too so it's a good challenge). On sale at the moment in the eShop.

I'm about half way through Donkey Kong Country Returns on the 3DS too, and half way through Fire Emblem Awakening.

So yeah, 3DS 3DS 3DS..... :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

After spending a fortune building up my game catalogue, I'm after getting sucked into the free Neverwinter.I've played a few mmo's over the years and always get bored at a certain point or end up forcing myself to keep playing every night because I have a sub.Inevitably, I play too much and get sick of it, but with the free to play model on Neverwinter,I don't feel the pressure to play. The graphics aren't the greatest but am really enjoying the combat and the user generated content.It also seem like it really is free to play, but reckon will throw a few quid at it at some stage just to support it.Was playing The Secret World and even though,I'm a massive horror fan and enjoyed the story,I found the controls fairly clunky and the servers slightly dead.
    Also back playing BF3 a bit and starting the Mass Effect Trilogy to see what it's like playing through the entire story with out waiting a year or more between games.Probably going to pick up Rogue Legacy soon enough, to have some thing to tap away at when I only fancy playing for short periods of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Playing Phoenix Wright: Justice for All(again), Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Uncharted Golden Abyss and Tomb Raider(again).
    Got LBP and MGS HD for the Vita, Fire Emblem Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 2 on the back burner too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

PC - Tomb Raider
    PS3 - DmC
    Vita - Hotline Miami, Velocity Ultra, trying to get P4G and Soul Sacrifice going too

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just finished Dark Souls last week, most of the way through a second playthrough now too although I might leave it for a while before I finally finish it again.

Picked up Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning & Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition and I started Oblivion the other day. Also started Fable 3, since it was free but it doesn't really appeal to me so far. I'll probably go back to it when I'm done with the others.

Still pouring a lot of hours into Halo 4 (16 days and counting) when i'm not in the mood for an RPG too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still working through the glorious Fire Emblem Awakening, think I'm on campaign mission 20. Can't fault the game, genuinely fantastic.

Finished the Last of Us so said I'd give ICO HD a playthrough before moving onto XCOM. Another near faultless experience, and has aged extraordinarily well with or without some vaguely improved textures!

Still on Ni No Kuni too, which I love but keep getting distracted away from. Must refocus on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Mostly just web-games & free-to-play stuff this year since I quit WoW and D3 was a let down - I've not bought a game in a long time with small exception to some cheap little games like The Binding Of Isaac on Steam.

Wartune,
    League of Legends,
    Dead Frontier,
    Path of Exile,
    The Last Stand: Dead Zone...

The only mainsteam game I play occasionally that I bought full-whack is StreetFighter IV AE but I've semi-retired after four years of headbutting people with Balrog.

Mostly play DF/SF4 for movie making purposes, much like what happened with WoW (Was bored of it by mid/end WotLK but stuck with it for YouTube).

There's not really been any recent releases I had much interest in buying... I'd have loved to play The Last Of Us but it's console exclusive. Wanted RE6 but seeing as it's basically just following the path RE4-5 set, I held off on it. I'm more into the classic ones and RE4 is the only one of the over-the-shoulder RE's I enjoyed immensely.

If you can get RE6 cheap buy it, it's better than 5 in my opinion, playing Far Cry 3 at the moment, great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If you can get RE6 cheap buy it, it's better than 5 in my opinion, playing Far Cry 3 at the moment, great game.
    Who doesn't like zombies with guns :D...

.....me :(

Playing Dead Island for the past year. I might finish it..... someday.

Also messing around with Prison Architect.

Might dip back in BF3 for awhile....after i download the 8gb patch dear god.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I have way too many to get through! Just last night I picked up Just Cause 2. The day before I got The Last of Us, and the day before that, I renewed me subscription for PS+ after being gone for the month. From that alone, I've quite a sizable backlog.
    Added too that quite a few games still sitting on my steam account, and the summer sales coming up, I'm expecting to have a the typical PC gamer's backlog. I would take a stab at saying I have 30+ games between X360, PS3 and PC to complete right now. PS+ Doesn't help that at all! 15 quid for 3 months and you get quite a few games. Great deal.

To name a few games I need to get through, I have Bioshock 2, GTA IV, Metro 2033, Fable III, The Witcher 2, The Walking Dead, Super Meat Boy & Dead Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Last Of Us, fantastic loving it so far, the story is really involving and Naughty Dog have made something really special. Wouldnt be surprised if I play it again straight after, multiplayer is excellent too.

Despicable Me Minion Rush on my Samsung S3, what, dont judge me its fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

Deadpool - Generic gameplay wise, but if you like Deadpool you'll be happy. Very funny stuff.
    Hotline Miami - Just awesome, tough as nails at times.
    Muramasa - Just played through the first area. Looks good, will get into this properly when I finish the other two.
    X-com - iOS version, it suits the touch screen well, bar going between outdoor and indoor areas. Great game.
    Phoenix Wright Trilogy - Picked it up on iOS, have played the first chapter as it's free, to see if I'd be into it. I liked it so will pick up the other chapters at some point.

Still playing BF3 on and off, would like to complete all the achievements before BF4 arrives. Just for yucks.

Play a bit of DayZ and Arma 2 Wasteland on and off, while waiting for DayZ SA.

Finished The Last of Us the other day, that was wow. Deserves the high praise it's receiving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Final fantasy xiv beta
    Coh 2
    Tales of grace f
    Dragons dogma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Playing a fair amount of Ridge Racer 1 lately. I've also recently started Zelda 2, having finished Zelda 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Portal 2 - Replay. meant to play Last of Us this weekend but just started up Portal 2 after installing new processor to try any game. But played it to a point where I have to finish so nearly finished now.

ZombiU- started it so just have to go back to it.

Luigi's Mansion 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

css gungame
    grid2
    company of heroes 1
    still playing fm2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So what do I play now:

World of tanks - Takes most of my play time now. Really love it.

Shift 2 - Installed it yeasterday again and started it from the scratch. Played few hours and really enjoyed it. Playing it on 42inch TV at 1080p and 60fps makes a huge difference from 360 to me.

Blops 2 - I jumpin for few rounds now and then. Nothing too serious.

Fire emblem - I play 3ds only when I am in bed, before sleep. Making a small break from MH3 with Fire Emblem. A lot of fun.

Starhawk - I am shocked how good it is. Some achievment to have such game on hardware like ps3. I really hope there will be new one for ps4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

black ops 2 - playing league play, nothing too serious just find it easy to level up quicker :P

dark souls - on my 4th play through also made a 2nd character :D game never gets old

fable 3 - free game of course :P but have to say i really am enjoying it, i just became king and i thought it was over but its not :D

skyrim - havnt played it in over 2-3 months, just cant get into it at all, going to try and grind it out until i finish it, i reckon im half way through it by now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

PC:
    GRID 2
    Company of Heroes 2
    Dota 2

3DS:
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf

DS:
    Pokemon SoulSilver

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trying to clear out my shorter games since I'm running out of room for new stuff. I'm currently playing Lollipop Chainsaw but should be finished it pretty quickly.

On handheld I'm playing Shim Megami Tensei: Strange Journey which is a superb piece of dungeon crawling action with some of the best dungeon design in any game I've played.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Currently playing Kingdom of Amalur really suprised how good it is, Finished Last of Us last week ill just echo what everyone else has said it's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Currently playing Kingdom of Amalur really suprised how good it is

I just downloaded that myself. I was surprised at how much I've enjoyed it. I'm normally not a fan of fans like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Arma 2 - A bit of Dayz and a whole lot of Wasteland.

CSS - I always play this every now and again, I've put 1000s of hours into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Dirt 3 - Was in the mood for a racing game so I installed this again. It's enjoyable but, my God, I forgot how annoying the "totally rad" voiceovers are. Really bugged me in Dirt 2 as well.

Arma 2 - Brother and I play Dayz often enough so we decided to try some mods for Arma like coop missions and Escape Chenarus, good fun.

Zelda: The Windwaker - Never had a Gamecube or knew anyone who did so I never had the chance to play this game during the console's life, despite hearing for years how much it's loved. Thoroughly enjoying it, though, and it'll keep me busy for a while.

Fez - It's good but didn't find it to be that brilliant, to be honest. I normally love these type of indie games that mix old-skool with different elements to challenge you but this game just didn't do it for me.

Zeno Clash - An odd FPS game where the focus is on you punching and kicking your way across a bizarre landscape. It's ok, novelty wears off fairly quick though I like the strange art design.

Payday The Heist - Pop this on every now and again, still an enjoyable game if you have the right team. Looking forward to the sequel where I hope they iron out some problems as well as the promise of tons of maps.

Also got Rayman for Android. I missed playing Rayman Origins so it's nice to play more challenging levels while it still uses the same design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

3DS: Animal Crossing. Just started last week, so still getting into the swing of things. I wish there was a way to increase the amount of stuff I could carry.

PC: Back to the Future: The Game. On to the third episode, so it's ticking away nicely. Hopefully I can keep it up as I've a bad habit of losing interest in adventure games.

PS3: Catherine. Didn't really get into it, so it's on the back burner unfortunately.

360: Fez. It's been that long since I played it a restart is in order.

There's about 40 games in my backlog. Stupid bundles and sales :p

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Just started playing Metro last light on PS3. Seems pretty good plot wise but game play is standard enough.

I tried to finish DmC recently but just couldn't get into it at all, the characters seemed so....generic.

Still play the odd online game in fifa 14, decent time killer!

Anyone know if com is coming to android?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Finished The Last of Us a few days ago, and just started New Game + for a second playthrough.

Also just started Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and the Cave.

Still playing BF3 too, although I doubt I'll ever reach Col. 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Still working through the glorious Fire Emblem Awakening, think I'm on campaign mission 20. Can't fault the game, genuinely fantastic.

I'd 90% agree with you, but flaw people have mentioned is the AI. Its not bad, but your units stray within striking distance and the enemy just rushes at you and tries to pick off your weakest unit (foolishly, like winged horse units will just charge in to battle, even if within range of archers for example.) Smarter, more tactical AI and you'd be looking at a truly remarkable game. The combat has me dreaming of an online-play focused Advance Wars, not that I think that will happen/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I just started playing Company of Heroes 2 last week and I am really enjoying it so far. I didn't follow the development of the game all that closely, so I was not all that sure what to expect. As an avid CoH fan I was somewhat surprised by how similar the sequel is to the first installment, but the more I think of it the more I realize this is actually a good thing. They significantly improved the single player element and adding to the gameplay experience, whilst at the same time keeping intact the core gameplay elements. Having to worry about weather effects and the likes also adds a new gameplay element, which is to be welcomed!

I am also playing Rising Storm from Tripwire. I would really recommend the game to anyone interested in a realistic multiplayer shooter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with making the AI more intelligent is that it becomes more frustrating. There's a balancing act between AI that you will kick your ass unfairly everytime and know your every move and AI that the player can read and use to their advantage. One is more realistic, the other makes for a better game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem with making the AI more intelligent is that it becomes more frustrating. There's a balancing act between AI that you will kick your ass unfairly everytime and know your every move and AI that the player can read and use to their advantage. One is more realistic, the other makes for a better game.

People manage to play chess against AI (Ok, not against Deep Blue) and not get their asses kicked when they know what they're doing, and it has to anticipate all a lot and not make stupidly aggressive moves - doesn't make them bad games. Not that FE should have chess levels of complexity, but it could be a little smarter.

Though this is why I'd love to see proper multiplayer so much, since you'd get clever and unpredictable, but not infallible, opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I bought Rollercoaster Tycoon 1&2 on GoG.

My god I forgot how utterly addictive this game is 12 years on.

Advertisement