Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc gaming

• 30-06-2013 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Howdy, not sure if I'm posting in the right place so move if necessary.

Question is how do I know if my pc is capable of playing modern pc games. Not something I've ever been into before so complete novice. Just looking for something new to occupy my time.

Also no idea of what games are good or not, if anyone wants list a few games from each genre that might be worth trying I'd appreciate. Where's a good place to buy games from online or bricks and mortar? And do most places sell 2nd hand as well?

Lots of questions I know :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Type the name of any game you're interested in to this site and it'll tell you whether it'll run on your machine. Its not always accurate but gives you a good idea at least

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

If you're into console games, you can get pretty much all the same games on PC as well as many more and they're usually far cheaper on PC

Install steam on your PC, there's a big sale due next week where hundreds of games will be reduced to ridiculously low prices so now is a great time to get up and running to build up your games library. Even if the PC can't handle modern games there's still plenty on steam that you could play even on a basic laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think you'd be missing out a little bit by narrowing your requirements to only the latest games. Fair enough if that's your only focus but there's so much potential within a modestly powered PC to be a smorgasbord of retro gaming. Just something to be aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Has people have already mentioned, the link above will give you a rough idea, also install steam and download a few free to play games. I would recommend Team Fortress 2 and if you want to push your pc Planetside 2.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I recommended download this small free app called cpu-z.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

The most important important factors in determining if you computer is capable of playing games are the CPU, the memory and most importantly the graphics card.

The program I linked to above will give you info on these.

Go to the CPU tab and get the CPU name. Get the core speed as well.
    Then go to the memory tab and get the type of memory, the size and the dram frequency.

In the graphics tab the we need the name.

Post up that info here and myself or other users should be able to tell you what your computer is capable of.

I'll list some great PC exclusive titles.

Amnesia: The Dark Decent (survival horror)
    Anno 2070 (city building RTS)
    Arma 2: Combined Operations (military simulator/FPS)
    Arma 3 Beta: (military simulator/FPS)
    Audiosurf (puzzle/rhythm)
    Black Mesa (FPS)
    Company Of Heroes (RTS)
    Company Of Heroes 2 (RTS)
    Counter Strike Source (multiplayer FPS)
    Civilization 5 (Turn based Strategy)
    Crysis Warhead (FPS)
    Crusader Kings 2 (strategy)
    Day-z (survival horror)
    Dota 2 (multiplayer online battle arena)
    Frozen Synapse (turn based tatics)
    FTL: Faster than Light (top down strategy)
    Gemini Rue (point and click adventure game)
    Guild Wars 2 (MMORPG)
    Gunpoint (puzzle)
    Hawken (free to play mech FPS)
    Killing Floor (FPS)
    Legend of Grimrock (RPG)
    Men of War (RTS)
    Natural Selection 2 (multiplayer FPS)
    Rising Storm (multiplayer FPS)
    Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity/Rebellion (Space RTS)
    Stalker series (FPS)
    Starcraft 2 series (RTS)
    Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMORPG)
    Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (RTS)
    The Swapper (puzzle)
    The Witcher Enhanced Edition (RPG)
    Torchlight 2 (RPG)
    Total War: Shogun 2 (Turn based/RTS hyrbrid)
    Trackmania series (arcade racer)
    Tribes Ascend (free to play multiplayer FPS)
    Wargame series (RTS)
    Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War 1 & 2 series (RTS)
    World in Conflict (RTS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Go to the start menu and type in dxdiag.

Write down Processor and Memory.
    Click on the Display tab and write down the Name of the graphics card.

Come back to us with that info and we'll know more about your PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Azza wrote: »
    Go to the CPU tab and get the CPU name. Get the core speed as well.
    Then go to the memory tab and get the type of memory, the size and the dram frequency.

In the graphics tab the we need the name.

1zv9zj9.png

s3inbm.png

alog37.png

Hope the above pics help somewhat. I inherited it from a friend who moved abroad about 6 months ago but the pc is about 3-4 years old I think.
    Thanks for the list of games, exactly what I was looking for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

SmallBalls wrote: »
    pics

Hope the above pics help somewhat. I inherited it from a friend who moved abroad about 6 months ago but the pc is about 3-4 years old I think.
    Thanks for the list of games, exactly what I was looking for :)

Not bad at all! You should be able to play almost anything at high settings at 720p. Do you know what resoluation your monitor is? Even at 1080p you should be able to play most things at medium settings at around 30 frames per second bar some of the most recent games

briany wrote: »
    I think you'd be missing out a little bit by narrowing your requirements to only the latest games. Fair enough if that's your only focus but there's so much potential within a modestly powered PC to be a smorgasbord of retro gaming. Just something to be aware of.

I never really thought about older games just automatically thought of newer up to date games. I suppose there must be a huge back catalogue of classic games I could be playing.
    Any suggestions? Like I said I'm not a gamer so all of this is new to me, I'm happy to try out pretty much anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Welcome to the master race. Steam & GoG.com will be your new best friends.

The Steam summer sale will be (probably) happening shortly so you'll be able to get insane bargains on dozens of games.

What are some examples of games or genres you enjoy? Can definitely make some recommendations.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Not bad at all! You should be able to play almost anything at high settings at 720p. Do you know what resoluation your monitor is? Even at 1080p you should be able to play most things at medium settings at around 30 frames per second bar some of the most recent games

This one.... http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/small-business/3349490/hannsg-hl249dpb-review/ ....Think it's 1080p.

• Advertisement

Your rig is pretty sound, ul have no problems.

Just get your self a Steam account and check out the Free to Play games.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Your PC should be capable of playing most if not all modern games, but you will need to play around with the graphics settings of certain games. Resolution has the biggest impact on performance. 720p or 1280x720 is around the current standard for console games.

Your goal should be to achieve at least 30 frames per second when your playing a game. Its the minimum you want for smooth performance and its the standard for most current generation console games.

You can download a free tool called Fraps and run it in the background and in will give you your frames per second in the top right hand side of the screen when you play a game.

There is so many games to choose from its hard to know where to start. Is there any particular genre you would like to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Yep 1080p, you will have to turn down the settings a bit but it will run pretty much everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

When you do buy and install a game play around with the graphics settings, play for a bit and then alter until you get the sweet spot. It does take a bit if playing around but that's what I always do and it usually works out fine. You may have to sacrifice textures or shadow quality but it's never made a difference to my enjoyment of a game

Is there any particular genre you would like to try?

No idea really, the last games I played were 2d platformers in an arcade, New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands etc. I'm sure things have moved on a lot since them!

The ads on telly recently for 'The Last Of Us' was what started my idea for playing games, so maybe something along those lines. Also think I'd like military/world war 2 games.

Also might be a silly question but how are most games controlled, is it with keyboard and mouse or should I be getting some gamepad or other controller?
    Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated :)

I never really thought about older games just automatically thought of newer up to date games. I suppose there must be a huge back catalogue of classic games I could be playing.
    Any suggestions? Like I said I'm not a gamer so all of this is new to me, I'm happy to try out pretty much anything.

Too many, but I don't think you've told anyone what specific genres you'd be interested in trying. It can't really just be anything. t'Would just be easier to suggest something if there were some more parameters.

As for retro gaming, where to start? There's really an intimidating amount of choice on the PC. Besides all the older games you can get for cheap on Steam, there's also console emulator programs to consider which will let you play games from pretty much every single even halfway popular gaming system since the beginning of gaming. Then there's browser based flash games like Desktop Tower Defence or Red Remover. Simple, but enjoyable and addictive.
    Also might be a silly question but how are most games controlled, is it with keyboard and mouse or should I be getting some gamepad or other controller?
    Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated

XBox 360 Controller for Windows.

Pretty popular with many PC gamers but there's lots of other great controller options, too. Keyboard and mouse is a better option for certain types of games such as first person shooter games and point and click strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Mouse and Keyboard is sound for most games, but some games are far better controlled with a controller!

Give Team Fortress 2 a bash! It's F2P and is some serious craic!

Day of Defeat: Source is a WW2 shooter, imagine TF2 but with a more serious graphic emphasis!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

briany wrote: »

Pretty popular with many PC gamers but there's lots of other great controller options, too. Keyboard and mouse is a better option for certain types of games such as first person shooter games and point and click strategy.

I'm actually playing tomb raider with the 360 controller, but go back to the K+M for the tougher combat section because I have two left thumbs :o

marco_polo wrote: »
    I'm actually playing tomb raider with the 360 controller, but go back to the K+M for the tougher combat section because I have two left thumbs :o

I'd prefer K and M too for most games that require quick and precise movement of a single character. Analog sticks don't cut it for me in that arena.

Black Mesa (FPS)

Definitely give this a go. One of the games I most enjoyed last year. It's free and single player.
    http://www.blackmesasource.com/
    I think single player is a good place to start and then move online when you're okay with the controls.

If you're thinking about zombie games, what about the walking dead. The telltale one (there's another one). It combines point and click adventure with a few different styles for some entertaining results. It should probably be on sale next week in the steam sales for <€10.

There's quite a few world war 2 games... you could go with something like company of heroes if you want strategy. As for first person shooter (FPS), you could go with something like Battlefield or Red Orchestra. I think I have a spare Red Orchestra key for steam if you wanted it.

• Advertisement

The ads on telly recently for 'The Last Of Us' was what started my idea for playing games, so maybe something along those lines. Also think I'd like military/world war 2 games.

If you like WW2 stuff then heres a few F2P games you wont ever have to spend a dime on if you dont want.

http://worldoftanks.com/ WW2 Tank v Tank

http://warthunder.com/ WW2 Plane v Plane with Tanks and Ships to be added

Also you cant go wrong with http://www.companyofheroes.com/ one of the best rts games out their.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

marco_polo wrote: »

Ha! thats funny because I just bought that controller and I'm doing the exact same thing in Tomb Raider
    I move around am playing with it but when it gets to the trickier fights I have to switch back to the keyboard and mouse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I'm going for the more mature games here, rather then your Call of Duty's. Most of these are much more realistic then most shooting games. If you aren't interested in that, I'd ignore my suggestions.

You might be interested in Arma 2 or 3 - Arma 2 is big because of the DayZ mod, but when you look past that, it's actually a really good combat game. Well worth checking out, as it's only 15 quid for the game and all the DLC. I've been sinking loads of hours into that. DayZ may, or may not be your thing. It's a free mod, so no harm is it's not for you. Still plenty of gaming to be had. Arma 3 is in beta currently. It's 35 quid I believe? Once it's out of beta, the price goes up.
    I believe GoG.com has Brothers in Arms games. Great games. I personally loved the story lines. I'd wage a guess in saying you'd like them. I'd pick up "road to hill 30" first. Probably be less then a fiver.
    Ghost Recon games are decent. Can get quite challenging, and frustrating. No idea were you'd buy these. Haven't seen any sites offering them. Should be quite cheap on eBay or something?
    Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 were great games! Been a few years since I played them, but I do remember enjoying them for quite a few hours each. You could probably pick both up for less then 10 quid.
    You might be interested in battlefield 3. Not for everyone, but it can be quite fun to experience some online gameplay. I never got around to the story myself. It's a midway point between cod and the above really, in terms of realistic-ness/tactical gameplay. It does however, use Origin. EA's answer to Steam. You'll learn over time that EA are a bunch of knobs. If you can forgive that, it's worth 20 odd quid for me.

If the ads for The Last of Us interested you in anyway, and you find yourself enjoy some of the PC games, you might be able to get a lend of a PS3 and the game off someone in your family, or a friend. I know a few lads that don't have a PS3 and got a lend of one with the game off someone. Well worth the effort involved. It's really good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Welcome to the master race. Steam & GoG.com will be your new best friends.

I've always been a uTorrent kind of guy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Yousef wrote: »
    I've always been a uTorrent kind of guy myself.

35977816.jpg
    I'd keep that pirate talk to yourself man. I believe it's against the websites rules to even talk about it.
    Also, support the game developers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'll recommend some WW2 stuff that's going to be very easy to get into & enjoy, and also cheap!

Company of heroes 1 and opposing fronts - Fantastic single player campaigns and an incredible amount of fun. Seriously, just buy it.

Call of duty 1 + united offensive, call of duty 2 - Good campaigns, nice introduction to shooters. Gaming equivalent of a popcorn action movie.

Medal of honour allied assault - The unofficial saving private Ryan game.

Warthunder - Currently in beta, free to play. Pricing model is absolutely crap if you want to own all the aircraft in the game. Has different game modes ranging from point and shoot arcade, to fully realistic simulator. Will cost you nothing to download it & play a few matches.

I'd be very surprised if you didn't enjoy any of the above. You can use them as a base to see what style of game you enjoy.

Mister Man wrote: »
    Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 were great games! Been a few years since I played them, but I do remember enjoying them for quite a few hours each. You could probably pick both up for less then 10 quid.

$2.49 for the second one on amazon at the moment.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-Rainbow-Vegas-Download/dp/B002WC80LK/
    Digital download and you need to put in an American address (which it doesn't matter too much what you put down since it's a download and not a delivery).

Good call with www.gog.com too. All these games are DRM free (no restrictions about being connected to internet all the time and other stuff). Mostly older games, but a lot of new ones from independent developers and some really good ones. There's sales on at the moment there, so you can pick up some good stuff for cheap. Read the reviews to get an idea of what to buy (although some of them might be skewed towards fond memories of older games - check the release date and you'll know what you are looking at).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lots of suggestions I see. Thlose specs are definitely above "Irish laptop" specs, but they are still not the greatest. Those will play almost any game, but you will need to learn to play with settings.
    Before you splash out on games I would highly recommend going full on free to play first. It will be good start to play games and play with settings. It count cost you a penny too.

go get something like this first:

Warframe - futuristic samurai third person shooter. Very actiony and makes blend of long range/close range/swords battle very slick.

World of tanks - not much to say, 2 teams, lots of tanks, lots of fun.

Tf2 - some say it's the best free to play fps. I am not a huge fan, but this will be a proper free fps for you to try out.

Ghost reacon online - blend of first / third person shooter. It's very tactical and slow. A real cod player hate pet. Gun and run does not work here.

Get some free to play games first. You need to learn what your system can do before splashing money.

P.s. Get minecraft, everyone loves it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

marko93 wrote: »
    Mouse and Keyboard is sound for most games, but some games are far better controlled with a controller!

Give Team Fortress 2 a bash! It's F2P and is some serious craic!

Day of Defeat: Source is a WW2 shooter, imagine TF2 but with a more serious graphic emphasis!

How easy is it to hook a PS3 controller. I am aware the xbox is considered more standard for PC controller gaming, however I don't own one anymore.

• Advertisement

sarumite wrote: »
    How easy is it to hook a PS3 controller. I am aware the xbox is considered more standard for PC controller gaming, however I don't own one anymore.

Installing the MotioninJoy driver might be a good start. I haven't used this one myself but it seems to be a good bet. There's another one I used but I honestly cannot remember the name at this time and I haven't used a PS3 controller on the PC in about 2 years since getting an Xbox controller instead. Googling 'PS3 controller driver for windows' should return a result or two for guides as to how to get it setup.

I found, though, that using a wired PS3 pad is a bit of a disaster as the USB connection is apt to slip out. I seem to remember a haphazard, slapdash looking sellotape solution to this but obviously it didn't look great and wasn't really a satisfactory long term remedy. Now, what would be great would be a way to get the PS3 controller connected via BT. Again, haven't tried it with the fact that I now have 2 Xbox controllers but it's worth a look.

Advertisement