Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we get charged for landline fees?

• 30-06-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭

This is bugging me and maybe somebody can shed some light on this. AFAIK eircom are the only facilities company that charge ongoing fees to have copper wire installed to your residence. If you think about it ESB & UPC (for example) also have wires to your home to facilitate a service and they don't charge an ongoing fee for the physical connection.

Back in the day when eircom was a public company (P&T) the taxpayer paid for the copper wire infrastructure. When they (telecom eireann/eircom) became a private company they then burdened the same taxpayers with a fee for the same copper wire!

So apart from funding their new showcase building near Hueston station, why are eircom allowed to get away with this ridiculous fee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

degsie wrote: »
    This is bugging me and maybe somebody can shed some light on this. AFAIK eircom are the only facilities company that charge ongoing fees to have copper wire installed to your residence. If you think about it ESB & UPC (for example) also have wires to your home to facilitate a service and they don't charge an ongoing fee for the physical connection.
    Eh, no.

ESB Networks (in my case via Electric Ireland) charge a standing charge of €0.30 per day to cover network installation, maintenance and meter readings.

Bord Gáis charge €79.24 annually.

UPC build the charge into their basic package.

degsie wrote: »
    Back in the day when eircom was a public company (P&T) the taxpayer paid for the copper wire infrastructure.
    No, there were standing charges back then also.
    When they (telecom eireann/eircom) became a private company they then burdened the same taxpayers with a fee for the same copper wire!
    While the pricing may have shifted, the regulator only allows them recover what it would cost an efficient operator to supply the service.
    why are eircom allowed to get away with this ridiculous fee?
    It's not ridiculous and it means that the charging structure is in line with the cost structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Eh, ok, I'll get me coat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

A better question would be why it costs twice what it does in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

No Pants wrote: »
    A better question would be why it costs twice what it does in the UK.

At a guess, different planning laws so they have higher density usage and of course a bigger population so higher return for their investment and probably a different cost base.

Advertisement