Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Arduino Uno starter kit Ireland

• 30-06-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭

I've literally crawled through the internet for the past 3 days looking for a good arduino uno kit online. Unfortunately most of these kits are well over €100 (before P&P) and due to by current limited budget, I cannot buy these kits.

I then realised that there where many "cloned" Arduinos online. Which would explain why this kit (from Hong kong) was so cheap:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/190861593639?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Chances are its a cloned Uno, but should I take a chance and buy it? (This has everything I need, LED's, LCD screen, breadboard etc..)

Although I rather support the genuine Arduino, maybe buying a cloned version of the board for my first one would not be such a bad idea incase I fry the board?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

I bought an Arduino Uno on ebay,it was listed as genuine but when it arrived it turned out it wasn't,I have had no problems using it because it's the Arduino firmware that determines the functionality of the board and this is available for free online:http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

I would see no reason not to buy a clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Clones will be more than fine, if you're really worried that it is dodgy you can replace the atmega with a genuine for a couple of euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'd imagine the clones are just all of the same components sourced and put together by someone else? As for frying it, I wouldn't worry too much as everything is individually replaceable, it's not as though you'd have to re-buy the kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Thanks for the replies. I will continue to look online for a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

The Arduino is an open-source hardware platform - having clones is the whole point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

satchmo wrote: »
    The Arduino is an open-source hardware platform - having clones is the whole point.

Also I have good fun with the ATTiny chips - they are only €2 each!
    They are cut down versions of the Arduino chip from the same company and work same with the same Arduino programmer tools.

Got the usb programmer for $19 from Sparkfun (*) - it had a (minimal) prototype area and works very well - but there are cheaper ones out there on ebay (I got one for someone else for $5) - if you have an UNO you can program the chips from that also.

Once programmed - all you need is the chip, maybe an 8 pin ic socket to solder to, a couple AA batteries and whatever you wish to control (leds,displays etc). Different versions of the chip are available with different functionality.

(*)Just watch out with this supplier you don't go over customs limit or there is Vat+extras to pay.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

ozmo wrote: »
    Also I have good fun with the ATTiny chips - they are only €2 each!
    They are cut down versions of the Arduino chip from the same company and work same with the same Arduino programmer tools.

Got the usb programmer for $19 from Sparkfun (*) - it had a (minimal) prototype area and works very well - but there are cheaper ones out there on ebay (I got one for someone else for $5) - if you have an UNO you can program the chips from that also.

Once programmed - all you need is the chip, maybe an 8 pin ic socket to solder to, a couple AA batteries and whatever you wish to control (leds,displays etc). Different versions of the chip are available with different functionality.

(*)Just watch out with this supplier you don't go over customs limit or there is Vat+extras to pay.

You need an (un)official Baords Electronics Forum keying :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056843026

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Hah that's awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Chet T16 wrote: »
    You need an (un)official Baords Electronics Forum keying :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056843026
    Is there an ATmega one for those of us that need to over-compensate!?

For the small price difference I'd start with an ATmega8. Can you program ATtinys without making any changes to the arduino kit? Forget the name of the files that describe each chip that arduino uses but have some memory of ATtiny not being listed (but ATmega8 was).

(Googled and found this.)

Sparkfun (and it's resellers) are great and have some very handy breakout boards but for standard parts, if you don't mind the wait, ordering on eBay from China is usually quite a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

I have an arduino at home I'm not using and some components. I'll try locate it tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

I have an arduino at home I'm not using and some components. I'll try locate it tomorrow.

I can't locate the arduino at the moment. I'm in the middle of a house move so hopefully it will show up soon. I'll keep you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

This fundraiser is quite good.
    $12 for an arduino clone and a small starter kit:
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/9-arduino-compatible-starter-kit-anyone-can-learn-electronics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Was going to start my own thread but thought I would bump this up.

I am a first year electronics engineering student and am looking for an arduino to mess around with and learn at home as the ones we will be using in the labs will stay there.

What I am after is a kit in the 50-80 euro region that will get me started with my tinkering.

I have the usual tools. Soldering iron etc as I am already a hobbyist but mostly repairing consoles. Been at that years so know my way around allot of electronics in that respect.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Have a look here: http://oomlout.co.uk/

Which kit depends on what you think you will like doing- lights/displays/keypads or motors. Maybe pick a project you would like complete and buy to that aim?

But doing an electronics course and all- you might get more fun making up some of the sensors from scratch rather than buying a kit with too much done (esp last one you mentioned) with all the ready made rgb etc modules?

Personally- Id look out for one with an ethernet shield included - as that adds a whole new level to what you can do.

“Roll it back”

Which kit depends on what you think you will like doing- lights/displays/keypads or motors. Maybe pick a project you would like complete and buy to that aim?

But doing an electronics course and all- you might get more fun making up some of the sensors from scratch rather than buying a kit with too much done (esp last one you mentioned) with all the ready made rgb etc modules?

Personally- Id look out for one with an ethernet shield included - as that adds a whole new level to what you can do.

What I really wanted to do was the 8x8x8 led cube as I already have a ton of led's. Something like this:
    http://ledcube8x8x8.wikispaces.com/LED+Cube+8x8x8

or

http://www.instructables.com/id/CHRs-8X8X8-LED-Cube-Revisited-with-improvements/

An Ethernet shield is a good idea actually. I would like to be able to interface a web page with the arduino to control it.

Limericks wrote: »
    What I really wanted to do was the 8x8x8 led cube as I already have a ton of led's. Something like this:
    http://ledcube8x8x8.wikispaces.com/LED+Cube+8x8x8

or

http://www.instructables.com/id/CHRs-8X8X8-LED-Cube-Revisited-with-improvements/

That's a pretty advanced project to build.... If you are building it - watch out the Leds you have are diffused - I saw one made that used clear leds and as impressive as the circuitry was - the effect was not as clearly visible with the light all going upwards.

“Roll it back”

That's a pretty advanced project to build.... If you are building it - watch out the Leds you have are diffused - I saw one made that used clear leds and as impressive as the circuitry was - the effect was not as clearly visible with the light all going upwards.

I built one of those. Be prepared to spend days soldering and days troubleshooting. If you're a beginner then I'd recommend a 3x3x3 to get the basics right and then expand up to the larger cubes.

Soon you'll have a 8x8x32 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭DeniG2

Hi all,

I'm in the process of sourcing an Arduino starter kit, with the intention of beginning with the very simple (e.g. blink) and progressing upwards, so i'm looking for a kit that has enough to keep me going until I branch out into more complicated projects.

The internet (particularly ebay) is a minefield when it comes to identifying an appropriate kit, as there are some many different brands, kits etc. I've narrowed it down to this kit, can anyone comment on it, i.e. is Sintron a good brand, does the kit contain enough elements to progress from novice to intermediate:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sintron-UNO-R3-Upgrade-Kit-with-Motor-LCD-Servo-Module-for-Arduino-AVR-Starter-/130982297013?pt=Wissenschaftliche_Ger%C3%A4te&hash=item1e7f273db5

Thanks in advance

Denis

• Advertisement

That looks like a good kit! Everything you need to explore the basics of Arduino. If you want to have a crack at some projects head over to instructables.com and search for arduino.

I got this kit myself. Has everything you need to get going. It is syncron aswell and while they say it is a clone I could not see any differences between it and a "real" one. The whole point of arduino is to be open source anyway so clones are actually encouraged.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sintron-RFID-Master-Kit-with-Motor-Relay-LCD-Servo-for-Arduino-AVR-Starter-/151076563137?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item232cdd68c1

Have done a few different projects myself and am working on my college project right now.

I second instructables. Found so many fun projects on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭DeniG2

Thanks for the reply guys, good to know I'm on the right track.

I also spotted this kit for €44 (free delivery) on dealextreme (i've bought from dealextreme on many occasions and have never had an issue)

http://dx.com/p/rfid-stepper-motor-learning-kit-for-arduino-multicolored-247020

DeniG2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guys, good to know I'm on the right track.

I also spotted this kit for €44 (free delivery) on dealextreme (i've bought from dealextreme on many occasions and have never had an issue)

http://dx.com/p/rfid-stepper-motor-learning-kit-for-arduino-multicolored-247020

Looks like a nice kit

Just some notes from my playing with these...

- I recommend the UNO thats in both these kit over the newer Leonardo's- even though its a little more powerful the Leonardo is very tricky to debug code with its odd comport hopping serial port and is less compatible with samples out there.

- I find an AVR 6 pin programmer cable - about 5 euros on ebay - makes programming and resetting a bit faster and you get another 2K or so free space from your 32K space (which isnt a lot).

- I got an ethernet module for 4.50 pounds and a shield for 6.50 pounds on ebay and both work great but the shield has less wiring to make.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Rather than start a new thread, thought I could hijack this one.

Anyone know anywhere in Leixlip/Liffey Valley that sells jumper cables (m/m)? PC World and the likes don't seem to stock anything of the sort. I know maplin do in town but don't want to go into town during crazy time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Rather than start a new thread, thought I could hijack this one.

Anyone know anywhere in Leixlip/Liffey Valley that sells jumper cables (m/m)? PC World and the likes don't seem to stock anything of the sort. I know maplin do in town but don't want to go into town during crazy time.

Is there still a maplins in blanch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Is there still a maplins in blanch?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Don81

Hi,
    I am looking to get a kit too..can anyone advise what kit and where they purchased from..
    Thanks,
    Shane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Eugbug

Try Dealextreme (DX.com). They sell loads of Arduino boards including some genuine "Made in Italy" versions, and others are clones. Boards are usually about €10 but the cheapest board is €4. Read the reviews on products to see whether people are pleased or not with their purchases. I have bought 2 boards and have had no problems. Have a look at my blog to see some of the boards they sell. They won't let me post links here but it's at eugbugino dot blogspot dot ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Don81

Hi Eugbug,
    Many thanks for the links - blog looks great..
    Now I just need to decide what board to get...

Don81

Advertisement