Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age did you move out?

• 30-06-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

What age did you move out of your parents houses? are you still there? :P

I'm 17 and ready to lose the plot. Can I move out of my house now or do I have to wait til I'm 18? I'll be leaving for College in September anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

At age 19 for college. Then I moved back in when I was 24 until I was 26 for work purposes (home was really near work so it made sense) although I paid rent and upkeep because at the end of the day, if you're earning a wage there's no real reason to expect the parents to subsidize. Then I moved back out again at 26.

Just stick with it until it makes sense for you to move out. Can you afford to do so? No point moving out until you can stand on your own two feet, unless you want to add stress to your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

NellyDean wrote: »
    Can I move out of my house now or do I have to wait til I'm 18?

It'll mostly depend on whether you can afford to pay rent ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I moved out when I started college (18 years old). Nothing like the freedom even if you have to start cooking your own meals!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I was 19. I know they are annoying and you want your own space, but moving out bring with it a whole new barrel of crap to deal with, bills, food costs, accommodation costs, it is one hell of an eye opener to the adult world. You only have 2 months left, it is that bad, just remember, it's only 2 months and besides, you may not like your housemates either! And many are grateful for mammy's food and her doing the washing at the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

16 for a few months, then 17 and havnt been back, 25 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I work and live in Dublin. Anywhere remotely habitable seems to be upwards of 900 euro a month. Does that not seem mental to anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Riamfada wrote: »
    I work and live in Dublin. Anywhere remotely habitable seems to be upwards of 900 euro a month. Does that not seem mental to anyone?

That's why a lot of people live in houseshares. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never worry about moving out OP.

Worry about the day your parents move in with you!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yes. That's why I will never live in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

29 :o

In fairness it was a big house so had my own little section I guess. From Dublin and stayed in Dublin through college so seemed like the right idea at the time. In London now and if it wasn't for my job providing meals I'd probably have starved to death :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Get out of Dublin.. My house is a good bit less than half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

At 17 for college, but was back most weekends and Summers. I suppose properly at 22 when I started work and built my own life.

OP, there is nothing stopping you moving out now if you have money to support yourself, but there is a lot to be said for a last childhood carefree Summer before the realities of rent, bills and adulthood come in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Gain access to the Ranting and Raving forum OP, and have a look at the "I hate my housemates" megathread to see what might await you in time to come, and why you might look back and think living with the parents wasn't the worst thing in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

My parents moved out

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

At 17 for college, but was back most weekends and Summers. I suppose properly at 22 when I started work and built my own life.

OP, there is nothing stopping you moving out now if you have money to support yourself, but there is a lot to be said for a last childhood carefree Summer before the realities of rent, bills and adulthood come in September.

I see your point but see that's the issue. I'm locked up in this house (except I still go to work) and I feel like I'm missing the carefree fun summer with my friends before we all head our separate ways.

Where the hell are you living :eek:? I moved to the end of the green luas line and get a 2 bed apartment for that! Spend a fortune on transport though!

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Gain access to the Ranting and Raving forum OP, and have a look at the "I hate my housemates" megathread to see what might await you in time to come, and why you might look back and think living with the parents wasn't the worst thing in the world!
    Not the worst thing in the world I know. Could be much worse off!

Hate wasting life sitting in this feckin house though particularly in summer, feels like moving out is the right option but I don't wanna sugarcoat it either

Not the worst thing in the world I know. Could be much worse off!

Hate wasting life sitting in this feckin house though particularly in summer, feels like moving out is the right option but I don't wanna sugarcoat it either

Why are you cooped up, over bearing mother(I had one) or just in the middle of nowhere or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Moving out isn't for life any more, you could try it and go back. 17 is very young, but it's the age where you need more freedom and your parents probably still look on you as a child.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Why are you cooped up, over bearing mother(I had one) or just in the middle of nowhere or what?
    My mother got pissed off over something trivial.

It's 6 weeks til I'm 18 and although I probably sound like a whinging baby on this thread, I am actually pretty mature :P
    Being grounded on the verge of adulthood is the most frustrating thing ever. It's a child's punishment..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you're moving out for college anyway i'd suggest moving out now,you'll have a better pick of accommodation in comparison to when everybody is looking in september.But in reality,never move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

24, but then I quickly went back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

pmcmahon wrote: »
    If you're moving out for college anyway i'd suggest moving out now,you'll have a better pick of accommodation in comparison to when everybody is looking in september.But in reality,never move out.

Why?

I moved out as soon as I could when I was 18. It would have driven me insane being an adult and still living under my parent's roof. I was counting the days until I could have the freedom I'd craved for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I moved out at 17 for college but went home for the first two summers. The third summer I got a job and stayed put, and then I went home the following summer. At 21 I moved out permanently, and my little sister finally swapped bedrooms with me (I'd been telling her to take the bigger one since I started college), cementing the move. I'm 28 now and haven't been home for more than a week at a time since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

17, into my then boyfriend's mother's house. Not my brightest idea, but after a few months of that I was living away from both his and my parents and I haven't looked back since.

I'm 20 now, going on 21 in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Moved out on a temporary basis when in Uni, back most weekends though, and of course for Summers.

Bought my own apartment at the beginning of last year, just in time for my 25th birthday so properly moved out then (though the migration of boxes took a bit longer :o).

Now I've left the country, next stop the moon (sadly not :()

It's 6 weeks til I'm 18 and although I probably sound like a whinging baby on this thread, I am actually pretty mature :P
    Being grounded on the verge of adulthood is the most frustrating thing ever. It's a child's punishment..

I got free at 19, it was my mother that forced me to stay. I know the feeling of being controlled when you are technically an adult. If you have money move, if not, remind yourself, it is over soon.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I got free at 19, it was my mother that forced me to stay. I know the feeling of being controlled when you are technically an adult. If you have money move, if not, remind yourself, it is over soon.
    I'm not sure if I can afford it or not.. I have some pals who'd put me up for a minimal price but really not sure if that's the way to go.
    How much cash would I need aside?

62 days til september, though ,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm not sure if I can afford it or not.. I have some pals who'd put me up for a minimal price but really not sure if that's the way to go.
    How much cash would I need aside?

62 days til september, though ,,

Well the basics you're going to have to pay for are rent, electricity, heating (if it's separate to the electricity) and food. All reasonably controllable expenses.

You may need to factor in travel if you don't have your own mode of transportation as well.

You'll also likely have one off costs at the start like bed clothes, crockery perhaps among other bits and pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

moving out for college isn't really moving out it's temporarily vacating your house

moving out for college isn't really moving out it's temporarily vacating your house
    Oh I won't be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

bout 18..into a bedsit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

HOW can they ground you? Whats stopping you walking out?
    And what did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

When I got my first job after college - so 22. I get on well with my parents so could have easily stayed at home but wanted the experience of living independently.

Just stick it out OP if you can't afford to move out. It'll be worth it in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My parents think I moved out at 19 but I've been living in the attic since then.

I'm 35 next month and quite pale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

17 with partner 1 month later i enlisted, she had a good job also at the same age 5 years on and we are living in a nice quite area some savings 3 years son, But trust me your in no hurry life is grant at home i would take been grounded over getting court letters for not paying your ESB or TV license and next year water charges. err

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

27 and still at home. No plans to move out at any stage. Doesn't make sense to me at this point in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Move out??? LOL

Im 42 and still living in the basement. It's a pretty sweet set up here. I get me ma to wash my clothes every two weeks. Im cheap to keep alive as I mainly eat pop tarts, waffles and wotsits and drink from the garden hose.

One day this gaff will allllllll be mine. Maybe then Il move my command centre upstairs to the grown up area. Got to figure out where to put my ball pit and Star Wars stuff.

Move out??? LOL

Im 42 and still living in the basement. It's a pretty sweet set up here. I get me ma to wash my clothes every two weeks. Im cheap to keep alive as I mainly eat pop tarts, waffles and wotsits and drink from the garden hose.

One day this gaff will allllllll be mine. Maybe then Il move my command centre upstairs to the grown up area. Got to figure out where to put my ball pit and Star Wars stuff.

Aww that's the dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Aww that's the dream

Damn straight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

17, but I got a job.

Met a guy and we moved in relatively young at 18, which most people judge, but feck that it is my life.

Going on 21 and still together, have lived out of home since and it was the best decision I ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Moved out at 17 and even that felt a little too late.
    Norman Bates lived with his mum a little too long. Just sayin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Oh I won't be back.

you'll be needing a job then college ain't fun being broke, especially if like me your grant was 6 months late. when that happened I was glad the parents were there (for free food if nothing else):D

Even now we had 5 years to settle in and hunker down after i was discharge i moved to the same town as my parents now i live very close to my brother's and sisters and and parents my son loves going up to his nannys, We help each other out and just feels more secure here then it did been 200 miles away at the end of the day we are still young me been the oldest at 22 partner just turn 22 and a 3 year old, But moving out at 17 was the right time for me, others may take longer but its a path nearly all of us take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Moved out at 18 and back at 21 then out again at 24 and back in again at 30. Then moved out and stayed out at 35 as I had originally only intended staying for 6 months to a year after my dad had died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Moved out at 17 and even that felt a little too late.
    Norman Bates lived with his mum a little too long. Just sayin.

lol why 17 feels a little too late, I presume most people wait till they at least finish 2nd lvl education... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

25 and still not moved out. I did move out for a year but then i had to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

19! Off to uni I went and havnt moved back since. I couldnt now, having to answer to my mammy again, no thanks!

Adult life is hard work though, make no mistake about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    lol why 17 feels a little too late, I presume most people wait till they at least finish 2nd lvl education... :confused:

I had wanted to move out earlier. I worked my way through uni in england and spent the summers working in a few places in europe. So only went home for christmas or the parents came to visit me.

Not that I don't like my parents, but I just loved living life away from home. Your late teens and early to mid twenties are when you do most of your living imo...so it seemed a waste of those precious years living at home with your parents

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Moved back in after a few years. Made plans to move abroad to the US or Canada after getting my degree, so moving back home I could effectively save money more easily for that. Still chipped in with money every week for the most part after moving back in it must be said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement