Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making home entertainment and home computing work together

Options
  • 30-06-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I've decided to put all our media (movies, music, save-games) on a NAS so that reinstalling the PC operating system, or the computer being in use won't prevent someone watching a film or listening to music.

I've also picked out a monitor for the sitting room. My question is - what's a small, quiet and cheap option to get said media to the display? I have an old PC with XBMC which is capable of the job but it's a big horrible thing for our spartan sitting room and it makes a lot of noise. I've considered the raspberry Pi but I'm not sure if it's up to the job and it seems to need a lot of cables.

So I really want: quiet, cheap, small, wireless where possible and a nice UI.

Is there a good way to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I've decided to put all our media (movies, music, save-games) on a NAS so that reinstalling the PC operating system, or the computer being in use won't prevent someone watching a film or listening to music.

I've also picked out a monitor for the sitting room. My question is - what's a small, quiet and cheap option to get said media to the display? I have an old PC with XBMC which is capable of the job but it's a big horrible thing for our spartan sitting room and it makes a lot of noise. I've considered the raspberry Pi but I'm not sure if it's up to the job and it seems to need a lot of cables.

So I really want: quiet, cheap, small, wireless where possible and a nice UI.

Is there a good way to go about this?

Load of options:

1) Smart Blu ray player with the plex client installed on it (what is currently used in our house) Cost €100+ depending on the model

2) A small media player that can read network shares such as a Western Digital TV Live (have used previously, did the job well and came with a remote) Cost: €50-100

3) Raspberry pi (guy at work uses with one with the Openelec distro, said it took pretty much 20 mins to setup) cost: €50+ including SD cards etc..

4) build a small media HTPC

5) Use a small "stick" android PC on a stick powered off usb port, connected by HDMI and install xmbc on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I'd say a raspberry pi running xbmc (openelec, raspbmc, xbian) would be your best best cheap and very easy to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks uberpixie & Computer King, I've just ordered an Raspberry Pi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zxce

spartan

Advertisement