Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London trains

Options
  • 30-06-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I'll be travelling in London next week. There'll be 2 adults and 2 children (4+6) We'll be staying in Watford and hope to travel into The Tate Modern one day and The Natural History museum the next (midweek). Both days we'll be walking elsewhere (or maybe getting a short Tube) and returning to Watford from a different station. Later in the week (weekend) we'll be travelling from High Wycombe to Camden and back.

Just trying to find out the best value ticket options. There seems to be quite a lot of options between network railcards, oyster cards, mainline and Tube.

Another option is for me to drive in, but I'm guessing parking and congestion charges would make it uneconomical?

I'm happy to pay a few quid extra for a bit of flexibility.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Looks like the 4 year old will get around London for free. The 6 year old will need to get a card (administration free) for free travel. Might be cheaper just to buy tickets.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14554.aspx

As for adults you will get the best value to buy an All Zones travel card in Watford which will get you into London, all around London on the tubes, dlr and busses and back out of London on a single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Have a read of this, but I read it, that so long as the six year old is traveling with an adult does not need a oyster photocard.

Think Oyster cards are cheapest and most flexible option

Check Chiltren to see if you can get a deal for the weekend from High Wycombe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A family travelcard seems the best option then. In any case, this is going to work out as an expensive enough few days.
    During midweek, try to travel in after 10am to get best value and return not between 4 and 7 p.m. At the weekend, these restrictions don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Thanks guys.

Looks like the 2 children will be free as long as they're with us.
    I like the idea of the flexibility of the Travel card but from what I can see both Watford and High Wycombe are in zone 7 and the Travelcard is only valid for up to 1-6

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/travelcards/1-day/product/day-anytime-travelcard.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Thanks guys.

Looks like the 2 children will be free as long as they're with us.
    I like the idea of the flexibility of the Travel card but from what I can see both Watford and High Wycombe are in zone 7 and the Travelcard is only valid for up to 1-6

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/travelcards/1-day/product/day-anytime-travelcard.html

Ah sorry, didn't realise they were even in the TFL zones. Then oyster cards as mentioned above would be best.

Actually I don't think High Wycombe is in the TFL zone system, in that case look at getting the National Rail travelcard like I mentioned I think for the days when you're there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Check nationalrail.co.uk for the options and prices, they will include the travel card prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Check nationalrail.co.uk for the options and prices, they will include the travel card prices.

Good Advice but if you are travelling within twenty four hours, go to your local station as you will get a better price

Advertisement