Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Stateside

Options
  • 30-06-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,

I have some very basic questions if anyone would be able to help me out.

I've just returned from a week in Boston. I loved it there, it was my 4th time in the States and I really want to move there. I know this might sound stupid but what is my best chance of finding employment there. I graduated with a degree in Commerce but I understand that isn't of much use to me when seeking employment. So I'm wondering what is my next best way. What industries are they recruiting in?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated,

Thank You.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

You have a few options, none of them easy and none of them immediate.

1. Marry an american
    2. J1 Graduate visa - 12 months visa to work in the US, am foggy on the details. (http://www.usavisa.ie/1-year-work-visa)
    3. Work for a company in Ireland for a year, put in for a transfer to the US (L1 visa)
    4. Apply for a job in the US and hope they sponsor you in for a H1B (window opens in April, you start on this visa in October)
    5. Visa lottery

Unfortunately, US immigration is not easy- it is expensive and it all has to come from either an american company or a spouse (ie you can't just apply for a skilled visa).

Advertisement