Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What mobile applications do you use?

Options
  • 30-06-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what mobile phone applications do you use for all your Outdoor Pursuits?

This is all very very new to me and I've downloaded a few apps, used none so far though. I'm particularly interested in the weather apps as last week I looked at 3 different sources and all were different and only one was accurate! Looked numerous times throughout my day to keep myself updated.

I don't have a separate GPS so will be relying on my mobile GPS for me so trying to strike a balance with any app and saving battery-life in event I may need my mobile.

Any tips or tricks or any and all advice welcome :)

Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,249 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For weather I generally use Windguru. It's more for surfing I use it but its very handy for walking and that too. I find it fairly accurate aswell. If you shell out for a pro subscription it updates more often too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Viewranger, gave it an extensive test yesterday, consistanly comparing it to paper map and Etrex 10. Never missed a beat on Galaxy S3. You can buy tiles or county's so they work offline and they make the OS maps pretty much exactly. Gives you exact grid reference (well exactly as GPS allows) with any fluting around, plus you can record your trail (though this hammers the battery).

http://www.viewranger.com/en-us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I use Viewranger for planning and research, but don't use it on the hills (yet). I think it's the future though, we'll soon see waterproof Android GPS devices with long battery life. It's super on a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hmmm wrote: »
    I think it's the future though, we'll soon see waterproof Android GPS devices with long battery life.
    Garmin have already announced the Monterra https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod113522.html. It'll be a full blown Garmin GPS as well, so there wouldn't be any advantage to running something like, say, ViewRanger as well on top of that, although you would be able to run other Android apps as well should you so wish. Apart from the addition of WiFi and running on Android it looks to be basically the same hardware as the new Oregon 600 series.

Alun wrote: »
    Garmin have already announced the Monterra https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod113522.html. It'll be a full blown Garmin GPS as well, so there wouldn't be any advantage to running something like, say, ViewRanger as well on top of that, although you would be able to run other Android apps as well should you so wish. Apart from the addition of WiFi and running on Android it looks to be basically the same hardware as the new Oregon 600 series.

No 3G connection so basically a brick in regular life especially for the price. Handy though if you could afford it for the hills though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Gaia for mapping
    yr.no for weather
    ...nough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Garmin have already announced the Monterra https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod113522.html

I don't think it's a phone though? Basically just another Garmin device but one that runs Android apps? Personally, I think our segment of the market will tend towards a touch screen phone that's rugged and 'waterproof', with good battery life and supporting all the usual apps and music players as well as map/ GPS ???

Yes, that's right, it's basically just another Android device wth WiFi, but without phone or 3G, just like most tablets, not that you can get a 3G connection in many remote areas anyway, certainly not in the Wicklow Mts.

There are already Android phones available that are ruggedized and waterproof to the same standards as Garmin GPS's, but they still use the same Li-Ion rechargeable batteries, albeit higher capacity ones. You can get external battery packs that connect via the USB port, and solar chargers etc. but nothing beats the ability to just bung in a couple of bog standard AA batteries when needed.

Also, there's the danger that you're putting all your eggs in one basket with such a device, if that breaks or you lose it, you've lost both the GPS and phone in one go.

True, but I detect a lack of desire in the general public to invest in multiple devices, where they think they can get away with one? If you consider a phone essential, well it's easy to pack a second cheap basic model as a backup.

I keep my phone in a freezer bag to stop in getting wet, everytime I take it out to check something I risk being the last time it works. Really need a good waterproof housing, like the Iphone has but I have multiple spare batterys which are handy to swap out if needed, unlike Iphone. The Etrex will now be my reference point now if I need confirmation, the phone will be the back up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Addons-Waterproof-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B009VAHUXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372764612&sr=8-1&keywords=s3+waterproof There is this but I would have to swap out of current case for civilian use, which would be a pain and would damage the current cover (Otterbox).

• Advertisement

I use an eCase (http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/brands/ecase.html) for my Android phone. It allows you to use the phone while it's still in it's case, so no danger of it getting wet if you need to use it in the rain.

I use an eCase (http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/brands/ecase.html) for my Android phone. It allows you to use the phone while it's still in it's case, so no danger of it getting wet if you need to use it in the rain.

Looks better than a bag:D Can headphones connect through them?

Shouldn't you be listening to the birds & bees and the wind & rain :)

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Looks better than a bag:D Can headphones connect through them?
    No :D

BarryD wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be listening to the birds & bees and the wind & rain :)

I wouldn't listen to anything out on the mountain, but on trails it helps relieve boredom.
    Alun wrote:
    No

I could cut a hole in it, then put the whole thing in a freezer bag, job done! :D

A note for those interested in smartphone apps: EastWest Mapping maps for Dublin & Wicklow and also Blackstairs & Mount Leinster are now available on the ViewRanger smartphone app platform. More details here: http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/digital-mapping

Turns your compatible smartphone into a functioning GPS unit with desktop based route planning functions also.

Edited to add update: the web based route planning function via www.myviewranger.com is not fully implemented yet for the EastWest Mapping maps. The mapping is only visible when you zoom in, this will be improved in coming weeks to facilitate a wider view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

BarryD wrote: »
    A note for those interested in smartphone apps: EastWest Mapping maps for Dublin & Wicklow and also Blackstairs & Mount Leinster are now available on the ViewRanger smartphone app platform. More details here: http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/digital-mapping
    Fabulous news. I use viewranger for planning, and having digital EastWest maps will be great.

Great stuff, hard to see some detail on screen with OS 56, this should aid this. Going to get it now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

OSI have also just reduced their prices for ViewRanger. Republic of Ireland 1:50,000 is now €129.99, they're comparing it to the old price of €367.76 if you were to purchase the various regional maps.

http://shop.viewranger.com/products.php?category_id=58&utm_campaign=New+Irish+products+&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Rain Alarm, Rainy Days, Sat24, met, Windfinder, yr.no, Meteo ciel
    TPE for sun/moon rise/set times
    Bing/Google maps, ViewRanger, Sky Map
    UK Tides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

hmmm wrote: »
    I use Viewranger for planning and research, but don't use it on the hills (yet). I think it's the future though, we'll soon see waterproof Android GPS devices with long battery life. It's super on a tablet.

I bought Portable battery pack that is rated at 15000mAh power . and it has 2 USB ports to charge your smartphone or tablet. I tested few times and works perfect. cost me almost 60 quid on ebay. some brands are way more expensive but i bought this after doing some research.
    I could charge my iphone almost 7 times and it can charge any usb powered devices even your Garmin Oregon 600 series Unit. usb chargeable cameras etc. very handy little gadget that i love. I would highly recommend such battery packs for those who spend hours outdoors. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack T Colton

Hey Mac2010.

What's the make/model of the battery pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

If it's the Anker one then I'd also vouch for it, I got this one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-External-Flashlight-smartphones-USB-charged/dp/B0067UPRQ4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1384798695&sr=8-10&keywords=anker+battery

(Only linking because it's half price)

Got me and my girlfriend through a festival weekend, but it is really useful if you're using the smartphone for taking pictures/gps/etc

Hey Mac2010.

Yeah got Anker Astro E5 series 15000.

recently sold my standalone GPS unit .

I know just one device for everything is dangerous in remote areas but for n00bs like me :D Smartphone with tiny chip is most of the time enough to provide some decent info.

Has anyone bought and tested OSI map from Viewranger in-app purchase?

Hey Mac2010.

Anker Astro E5 series 15000mAh cost me around 60 quid including parcel motel:D

depending on your budget you can choose from less powerful models to high power 20000mAh batteries. mine comes with integrated handy little LED light as well which might be cool when your AA battery powered flashlight run out of juice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack T Colton

Thanks Cliste & Mac2010.
    I'll be having me one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

Im using orux maps...very handy as you can download the tiles to your phone and you dont have to pay. I assume viewranger has contours on it which this doesnt but it has trails...e.g. I hiked lugnaquilla through thick fog a few weeks back with no hassle at all...All you had to do was follow the dotted line.

Before downloading viewranger, do you have to pay for all the maps or is there a free source?

Viewranger is a free app and there's a certain amount of free mapping that it can use - like Open Street Map etc. The quality of detail on these varies according to location and your need. So pretty detailed in say Dublin city but less so out around the country and usually less detail away from public roads. You can pay for 'premium' maps, like EastWest Mapping maps of Wicklow etc or OSI 1:50,000 mapping.

I'd be pretty wary using Viewranger like terencemc suggests above. Here you are basically relying on a gps track that someone has likely entered into the likes of Open Street Map etc. It's like Wikipedia - it could be good, it could be crap, it could be somewhere in between. Sometimes people record a gps track as they walk a route (the best), other times they generate it on a computer screen (not so good!). With either though, you've still got a problem in that you've little supporting detail. Phone/ GPS navigation is good but it's absolutely no substitute for map reading & route finding skills.

• Advertisement

Cheers Barry D - When you buy the OSI maps are they downloaded as a file to your phone that could be exchanged between your devices or are they licensed and stored in the cloud?

Advertisement