Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concert Rant

• 30-06-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I moved to the west of Ireland just a couple months ago from abroad and must express my displeasure about the fact that apart from Dublin Ireland does not seem to exist for Hardrock/Metal promotors when it comes to scheduling concerts. Just as if there were no fans in the rest of Ireland. I am not going to travel to Dublin to see a band. I’d rather stay home. Why can’t bands book at least 4 shows in Ireland. Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Galway and everything would be fine. Even Black Star Riders (the so called successors of Thin Lizzy) only play in Belfast on their fall tour. This is headshaking (not headbanging, unfortunately).

HRR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I'm curious when you say 'hard rock and metal' - by this do you mean bands of Maiden, Slayer, Metallica's etc. status or are you referring to the smaller gigs that the likes of DME run in Dublin?

If it's the former then I'd imagine the lack of suitable venues to accommodate a gig of that size (and all that go with it, ie. influx of people, parking, accommodation, etc). would be a major factor.

If it's the latter, well the simple fact is there just isn't enough of a demand. Sure, next time Jeff Loomis, Obscura or Decapitated play over here I'd prefer not to have to make the trip to Dublin and would like to see them closer to home, but the fact of the matter is they're catering to a niche audience and I can well imagine it being a risky financial proposition for the promoters to just get them here (for which I have the utmost respect and salute them), never mind dragging the bands around the backwater dives of the country.

Solution? Only travel to see your absolute favourite bands or move to Dublin. This has been the reality of gig going for myself and everyone I know since we started attending gigs 15+ years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

HRR wrote: »
    Why can’t bands book at least 4 shows in Ireland. Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Galway and everything would be fine.

Economics ...

Ask Y&T who tried that last time they were over ....

2009 - the played Dublin and Belfast - healthy attendances (if not near sell outs) - hadn't played Ireland since 1982 (supporting AC/DC)
    2010 - Dublin & Belfast again .. good turn-outs.
    2011 - Dublin, Belfast & Cork ... Dublin down on previous years, Belfast healthy, Cork - rumored to be about 90 people in attendance.
    2012 - Dublin & Belfast - no Cork ... Belfast and Dublin number down on previous years ...
    2013 - No Irish dates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

RayCon wrote: »
    Economics ...

Ask Y&T who tried that last time they were over ....

2009 - the played Dublin and Belfast - healthy attendances (if not near sell outs) - hadn't played Ireland since 1982 (supporting AC/DC)
    2010 - Dublin & Belfast again .. good turn-outs.
    2011 - Dublin, Belfast & Cork ... Dublin down on previous years, Belfast healthy, Cork - rumored to be about 90 people in attendance.
    2012 - Dublin & Belfast - no Cork ... Belfast and Dublin number down on previous years ...
    2013 - No Irish dates

To be fair though, if a band is making an annual appearance then the demand just won't be as high in succeeding years as it was the first time.

The West just doesn't have the population centers to compete with capital cities. How can a band justify the numbers to play to 500+ in Dublin and then 90 people in Cork?!

If it was lucrative enough for bands to play in the West then they would. Simple as that.

I totally hear you, the biggest act we saw around my hometown was The Wolfe Tones, sucks having to always go to Dublin to see anyone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I live in Sligo, which is 130 miles from Dublin, I understand there is f*ck all demand for rock/metal acts to come west, but it can cost up to 100 Euro extra for me to travel to Dublin (Train/Hotel or Petrol/Parking) But most of the time it is worth it to go. But recently bands I would be willing to travel to see (Airbourne/Volbeat) are avoiding the country completely, which means it'd cost me about 200 quid to travel to England to see them, as annoying and inconvenient at times as it is to get to Dublin, I much prefer it than going to England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 HRR

First up I am not talking about 'Mega' bands. I am talking about bands with a popularity of the likes of Y&T (actually a good example). And yes, if a band tours every year the demand could wane. But here is also the catch. For a small band like Y&T I would not drive to Dublin. And therefore I will not go to Dublin for Skid Row and UKJ. Maybe I am a little spoiled coming from Germany but even there I thought concerts are far and few between but here it seems even less.

HRR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

First up I am not talking about 'Mega' bands. I am talking about bands with a popularity of the likes of Y&T (actually a good example). And yes, if a band tours every year the demand could wane. But here is also the catch. For a small band like Y&T I would not drive to Dublin. And therefore I will not go to Dublin for Skid Row and UKJ. Maybe I am a little spoiled coming from Germany but even there I thought concerts are far and few between but here it seems even less.

HRR

Doesn't matter if it's rock/metal or mainstream pop music. Ireland doesn't have the population to support multiple gigs across the country. Dublin is the largest population centre. It has the country's main airport (and most likely arrival point for any band) and it has a choice of large and small venues. Even if a band scheduled a gig elsewhere chances are they are going to fly to Dublin and then travel down the country at extra expense. On the rare occasion that a big name act of any type plays outside Dublin, they don't play a Dublin date.

The only performer I can think of who has/will be playing multiple dates around Ireland is Bruce Springsteen who is playing Limerick, Cork, Kilkenny and Belfast which is unusual enough in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

As has been said, population and demand are the main factors. The scene in Ireland simply isn't big enough.

As you're from Germany, another big difference to consider is how Ireland is not connected to mainland Europe by road or rail. For the smaller bands, this is a major game changer. I know of plenty of some small Italian bands who have arranged their own small tours of Germany, Slovenia, Czech R, Austria etc.

Being able to jump in a van and play 3 international dates while only paying for 2-3 nights accommodation in hostels makes touring cheaper for the bands. This in turn makes it more financially feasible for the promoter and venue to have rock/metal nights, which is before you consider the demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭rednik

I moved to the west of Ireland just a couple months ago from abroad and must express my displeasure about the fact that apart from Dublin Ireland does not seem to exist for Hardrock/Metal promotors when it comes to scheduling concerts. Just as if there were no fans in the rest of Ireland. I am not going to travel to Dublin to see a band. I’d rather stay home. Why can’t bands book at least 4 shows in Ireland. Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Galway and everything would be fine. Even Black Star Riders (the so called successors of Thin Lizzy) only play in Belfast on their fall tour. This is headshaking (not headbanging, unfortunately).

HRR

BSR in Dublin on December 14th at the Academy.

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=8295803&ar=blackstarriders

rednik wrote: »
    BSR in Dublin on December 14th at the Academy.

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=8295803&ar=blackstarriders

Then again, only one date for a band that carries the torch of Thin Lizzy.

HRR

• Advertisement

The only performer I can think of who has/will be playing multiple dates around Ireland is Bruce Springsteen who is playing Limerick, Cork, Kilkenny and Belfast which is unusual enough in itself.
    Not so unusual if you know that Springsteens father was an Irish Alcoholic hence he has strong ties here.

HRR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Welcome to the country HRR, we've been living with this issue for many many years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not so unusual if you know that Springsteens father was an Irish Alcoholic hence he has strong ties here.

HRR

What has being an alcoholic got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Not sure about the size of bands your talking. But the bad rep lads have done a great job bringing international acts to Limerick the last two years, Galway still has a good scene as well. In terms of bands coming to the rest of Ireland it might still be crap but it's probably never been this good.

And Thin Lizzy tend to play Castlebar/Kilarney every couple of years OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

If you thought Ireland was bad, try living in Denmark. You'll really need to keep your eyes and ears open to find the metal/hard rock live gigs - especially outside Copenhagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

The simple fact is gigs outside of Dublin do not have enough of a draw, it has been tried, and tried again and rarely works I've been at too many gigs where you've had international acts with maybe 10-20 payers in the door.

Ireland isn't a big place, and getting to Dublin for gigs is fairly easy no matter where you are in the Country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If you thought Ireland was bad, try living in Denmark. You'll really need to keep your eyes and ears open to find the metal/hard rock live gigs - especially outside Copenhagen.

At least Denmark has Copenhell once a year, which plenty of bands that'd never touch Ireland. We don't have anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

HRR

i thought his father was irish/dutch so it must have been his grandparents who were irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I moved to the west of Ireland just a couple months ago from abroad and must express my displeasure about the fact that apart from Dublin Ireland does not seem to exist

Fixed that for you.

Advertisement